What has Benny done to deserve... | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickySU

Walk On
...more playing time? I like Benny. I think he will grow to be a very good player. But if you had no idea he was a five-star recruit and you evaluated based on what he has shown this year, what about his game says he DESERVES to play more?

Obviously his athleticism stands out, but he looks lost many times on offense. His most common shot is a fade away jumper, and his movement needs a lot of work. Benny's lack of confidence shows. I'd love for him to seal on the mid post and call for the ball. And when he gets it, to attack the rim. Way too many times he is tentative and does not attack the rim! That's where he would be most effective. Besides that, he should be effective attacking the glass, but only five offensive rebounds all year doesn't do it.

Defensively, that athleticism helps in the biggest way as a weakside defender. He had a great block against Clemson or Pittsburgh coming across from the opposite side to protect the rim. He needs to be better positioned overall though.

Honestly, I think it's clear why John Bol Ajak has played over Benny. Ajak has been more active and better positioned on defense. And since Benny hasn't added anything offensively, you don't lose anything on that end with Ajak in over Benny. Not saying I agree with it, but Jim has played guys who have shown him more over the guy that has the bigger potential.

Benny can be a great player. I think if he sticks around, he will have that big jump from freshman to sophomore year that many of our players throughout the years have had.

But besides being a five-star recruit, I just haven't seen anything in games that screams "this guy deserves to play more."

From a development and CONFIDENCE standpoint, I would like to see him get more playing time, and now with this season essentially lost except for a miracle conference tournament run, maybe he will get more time. But I just want to see some improvement in these categories for him to DESERVE that playing time. He just needs more work and more time to develop, and that development will come outside of games, not by getting increased playing time.

"From a development and CONFIDENCE standpoint, I would like to see him get more playing time"

You answered your own question

Also, per the analytics, he's a better defender than Jimmy and JBA.

i'd love to give you a long winded answer with stats to back me up, but he's only registered 19 minutes in the last 4 games so it's hard to say

Not really. What has Jimmy shown that he deserves to even be on the team? Joe deserves to be the starting PG? We're 9-11. No one deserves anything.
I've always thought Joe's ideal role is as a shooter coming off the bench. That is besides the point. Jimmy averages 14 points and 6 rebounds while shooting 47% from the field and 38% from three. That's all besides the point.

I just want to know what people have seen from Benny that tells you he should play more. You may not like the other guys, but I just want to know what Benny has shown to say he's a better option.

...more playing time? I like Benny. I think he will grow to be a very good player. But if you had no idea he was a five-star recruit and you evaluated based on what he has shown this year, what about his game says he DESERVES to play more?

Obviously his athleticism stands out, but he looks lost many times on offense. His most common shot is a fade away jumper, and his movement needs a lot of work. Benny's lack of confidence shows. I'd love for him to seal on the mid post and call for the ball. And when he gets it, to attack the rim. Way too many times he is tentative and does not attack the rim! That's where he would be most effective. Besides that, he should be effective attacking the glass, but only five offensive rebounds all year doesn't do it.

Defensively, that athleticism helps in the biggest way as a weakside defender. He had a great block against Clemson or Pittsburgh coming across from the opposite side to protect the rim. He needs to be better positioned overall though.

Honestly, I think it's clear why John Bol Ajak has played over Benny. Ajak has been more active and better positioned on defense. And since Benny hasn't added anything offensively, you don't lose anything on that end with Ajak in over Benny. Not saying I agree with it, but Jim has played guys who have shown him more over the guy that has the bigger potential.

Benny can be a great player. I think if he sticks around, he will have that big jump from freshman to sophomore year that many of our players throughout the years have had.

But besides being a five-star recruit, I just haven't seen anything in games that screams "this guy deserves to play more."

From a development and CONFIDENCE standpoint, I would like to see him get more playing time, and now with this season essentially lost except for a miracle conference tournament run, maybe he will get more time. But I just want to see some improvement in these categories for him to DESERVE that playing time. He just needs more work and more time to develop, and that development will come outside of games, not by getting increased playing time.

Here are our team stats through 20 games. Where we rank on the O and D side of things in these categories. We are not good. Benny has athleticism and is at least a somewhat competent defender. Look at these rankings.

Team_Stats.png

I've always thought Joe's ideal role is as a shooter coming off the bench. That is besides the point. Jimmy averages 14 points and 6 rebounds while shooting 47% from the field and 38% from three. That's all besides the point.

I just want to know what people have seen from Benny that tells you he should play more. You may not like the other guys, but I just want to know what Benny has shown to say he's a better option.
I told you. Our defense stinks and he has better defensive numbers than Jimmy and, by far, has the most upside as an actual presence on D. The fact you are pointing to Jimmy's offensive numbers shows you don't get it. When you play 38 minutes and have the green light to shoot, you are going to score and get stats.

I told you. Our defense stinks and he has better defensive numbers than Jimmy and, by far, has the most upside as an actual presence on D. The fact you are pointing to Jimmy's offensive numbers shows you don't get it. When you play 38 minutes and have the green light to shoot, you are going to score and get stats.
I actually agree with you that Jimmy's defense is awful. The entire team is bad on defense. Our players are spectators watching other teams' best players shoot open threes. Unfortunately, putting Benny in makes us marginally better on defense and hurts the offense too much. Is that cost worth the benefit? Maybe you think it is. I would disagree, but it is fair to say. I would actually love Benny playing over Cole instead of Jimmy because of the offense.

I actually agree with you that Jimmy's defense is awful. The entire team is bad on defense. Our players are spectators watching other teams' best players shoot open threes. Unfortunately, putting Benny in makes us marginally better on defense and hurts the offense too much. Is that cost worth the benefit? Maybe you think it is. I would disagree, but it is fair to say. I would actually love Benny playing over Cole instead of Jimmy because of the offense.
It hurts the offense too much? DID YOU WATCH THE GAME LAST NIGHT? The offense was Buddy chucking 3s and ISOs. What offense?

Jimmy was 3-10 with 3 turnovers and 1 assist. I can almost guarantee Benny could have done that in 38 mins

Here are our team stats through 20 games. Where we rank on the O and D side of things in these categories. We are not good. Benny has athleticism and is at least a somewhat competent defender. Look at these rankings.

View attachment 213241
Completely agree that we are not good. The question is how much would Benny help? I haven't seen anything from him that shows we would be much better if he played more, but again it is a conversation to be had.

It hurts the offense too much? DID YOU WATCH THE GAME LAST NIGHT? The offense was Buddy chucking 3s and ISOs. What offense?
Last night's offense was horrible. I look at the entire season to judge the team. Last night was an outlier.

But why didn’t he play hardly at all last night when we were clearly struggling? You gotta give him a chance to provide a spark.

But why didn’t he play hardly at all last night when we were clearly struggling? You gotta give him a chance to provide a spark.
I think that's a very valid point. I believe the answer is because he hasn't shown anything on offense this year to show that he would provide a boost. But given the situation, I agree that at that point, it's fair to say why not just give him a shot to change things up.

There is only one thing that matters, this season is beyond lost. Absolutely no reason for him not to get play.

You look at the whole season, eh? 9 and 11.
Spin away. Done debating the sky is blue.
Just want to know what he has shown this season? You may think he should play more. Fine. It would be nice to see. I just want to hear without talking about other players, what has Benny himself done that has shown he should play more. If your answer is only that he can't be worse than the other guys, fine. But that doesn't mean he has shown he deserves to play. That's my only point.

Last night's offense was horrible. I look at the entire season to judge the team. Last night was an outlier.

You have to look at the results too. The offense has good numbers but we also are 9-11. Good offense isn't equating to wins.

That is not to say playing Benny was going to change that. It's more about the future. The now is lost. You won't really know whether Benny is a player unless you get a real look at him and give him a shot to develop. When a season is lost it turns to being about the future. If Benny plays 20 a game the rest of the year and simply looks like he isn't going to hack it then you know that now. Otherwise you just have to hope he sticks it out, finds himself in the off-season and shows what you have waited for.

The latter approach hasn't done much for us of late.

Just want to know what he has shown this season? You may think he should play more. Fine. It would be nice to see. I just want to hear without talking about other players, what has Benny himself done that has shown he should play more. If your answer is only that he can't be worse than the other guys, fine. But that doesn't mean he has shown he deserves to play. That's my only point.
...and I want to know what Jimmy has done to deserve playing 35 mins a game.
Once you answer that question, you'll find your answer

This has too much of a strawman flavor here. If we were 13-7 or better with clearly no benefit in developmental minutes given our post season aspirations this would be a non starter.

You can't single it out this way to try and make your point. That isn't what anyone is arguing. The argument is that things don't look great with him or without him. Its about investing and evaluating in the future. Plain and simple.

In fairness he has had a few games where he really looked to be turning it around and an asset. Then he disappeared. Doesn't change that the real issue is about the future more than him having proven anything to date.

Jimmy in the lane last night attempting to rebound on the defensive boards was hard to watch.

The reason Benny should play is that no one in front of him (Swider, Boeheim) despite being provided with every opportunity has shown that he should be cemented on the bench. He should play by default at this point.

JB answered this himself in his post game presser...they are just trying to win a game. What does a couple wins sprinkled in really mean in the long run? Other than feeding his win loss record, it means nothing. This team isn't going anywhere the way it's constructed, so whether you think Benny deserves it or not, it's time to find out what you have in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom