What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
All season I've been hoping JB would ride the backcourt combo that was hot, and that's largely what he did last night (he should have yanked Girard earlier after that 35 foot no-conscience heave, but there are different rules for different players).

When that happened and he didn't get pulled, I changed the channel.

BTW, since I'm sure people think I'm the anti-Buddy (I'm not), here is the argument for Buddy and his time/shots, because he's still a relatively inefficient player, but not as much as he was:

• Buddy isn't the one putting our lineups out there or picking the minutes.
  • He's now right at his career numbers for FG%, 3PT%, eFG% and PER. He's moved in the right direction this season. Those numbers aren't all world, but they are fine for what we can expect.
  • In his last 9 games, he has hit 50% or more of his threes 5x. He has a few iffy games in there, but let's be real, even if those are against some mediocre or bad teams, he's still putting in the work.
  • The disparity in FGA/game has gone down between the guys that shoot the most on our team.
  • AG continually goes rogue on offense. This cannot be understated. When we get a rebound and Kadary is calling for the ball and then you see AG ALSO CALLING FOR THE BALL so he can just go up, dribble, dribble shoot, I am cringing.
  • Q has looked shook and is passing up shots. Q is, by far, my biggest worry on the team now. If he regresses, we are cooked. Someone has to fill up the scoring that he was doing.
  • I'm guessing if you gave Kadary truth serum and asked whom he trusts to pass the ball to the most, it would be Buddy.
  • Even if he isn't the greatest defender, putting him out there with Kadary gives us serious height up top.
  • His back down and/or dribble into the lane leaves a lot to be desired against competent teams. He gets caught a lot. It's not great. But sometimes it's what he has to do because if JGIII is out there locked up, AG is calling for the ball to shoot a 35 footer and Q is shaking in his boots, what else is there? He cannot blow by his guy like LeBron so he does what he can. Is what it is. If he even got a little hesi move and some lift, I would like to see him with a mid range J there instead of having to back down his guy or dribble head down.
I don't need Buddy's counting stats to prove his worth. His counting stats leave a lot to be desired when you look at efficiency.

BUT, he can go NBA Jam from three. He plays well with Kadary. He isn't showboating for the NBA like AG and he isn't shook like Q. Competency and awareness matter.

There are times where it looks like the only guys we have that don't get scared when we go down is Buddy, Kadary and Bras. Nerve when the going gets tough matters.

I just want to see what Buddy/Kadary can do from the get go. What damage can we do if Kadary is breaking down guys off the dribble and Buddy gets open looks from the tip.

He is not All American and that is ok. He is not the most talented player on the roster and that is ok. He isn't an elite shooter, but he can get hot, and that is ok.

It's tear down Buddy day. I was browsing when I just had to comment.

With the exception of the percentage, that's just like Klay Thompson. It helps he's been put in a position where he has others that can create shots for him.

Who says he hasn't been recruited over? There's a Basketball Recruiting Board where the number of whiffs are documented for everyone to see. Buddy has been forced into a situation where he needs to make the best of it. A lot of this team's problems would be alleviated if a true 1 was running the team and not a guard like JG at the point. The way this board piles on him, he would have been better off at Gonzaga where what he does bring to the table would be valued and his job would be easier b/c he isn't having Joe Girard distribute the ball to him. With the exception of Mark Few, no one else bothered to offer because they knew it was a waste of an offer. He's a legit D1 player and was one of the better players on that City Rocks team his last AAU year.
Only difference with Klay is that he is arguably one of the top 10 shooters in the history of earth AND is also a lockdown defender.

Only difference with Klay is that he is arguably one of the top 10 shooters in the history of earth AND is also a lockdown defender.

I'm talking about from the offensive end and I clearly noted the percentage. That's all he's good for on that end of the floor. He can't dribble or create his own shot. Doug McDermott was used in the same capacity as Buddy when he was Creighton while playing for his father. A lot of people's anger is being placed at him when the staff, Jim included, fielded the least talented team in a decade.

I'm talking about from the offensive end and I clearly noted the percentage. That's all he's good for on that end of the floor. He can't dribble or create his own shot. Doug McDermott was used in the same capacity as Buddy when he was Creighton while playing for his father. A lot of people's anger is being placed at him when the staff, Jim included, fielded the least talented team in a decade.

Klay can’t create his own shot???

That comparison may be worse. May not want to check out Buddy and Doug's actual numbers. Comparing him to another all-World shooter. Doug was insane from inside(57%,63%,57%,57%) and outside(40%,49%,49%,45%) on huge volume as the #1 option. Buddy is at (44%,46%,45%) from inside and (35%,37%,35%) from outside. That's a 10%+ difference every season from both inside and outside.

BTW, since I'm sure people think I'm the anti-Buddy (I'm not), here is the argument for Buddy and his time/shots, because he's still a relatively inefficient player, but not as much as he was:

• Buddy isn't the one putting our lineups out there or picking the minutes.
  • He's now right at his career numbers for FG%, 3PT%, eFG% and PER. He's moved in the right direction this season. Those numbers aren't all world, but they are fine for what we can expect.
  • In his last 9 games, he has hit 50% or more of his threes 5x. He has a few iffy games in there, but let's be real, even if those are against some mediocre or bad teams, he's still putting in the work.
  • The disparity in FGA/game has gone down between the guys that shoot the most on our team.
  • AG continually goes rogue on offense. This cannot be understated. When we get a rebound and Kadary is calling for the ball and then you see AG ALSO CALLING FOR THE BALL so he can just go up, dribble, dribble shoot, I am cringing.
  • Q has looked shook and is passing up shots. Q is, by far, my biggest worry on the team now. If he regresses, we are cooked. Someone has to fill up the scoring that he was doing.
  • I'm guessing if you gave Kadary truth serum and asked whom he trusts to pass the ball to the most, it would be Buddy.
  • Even if he isn't the greatest defender, putting him out there with Kadary gives us serious height up top.
  • His back down and/or dribble into the lane leaves a lot to be desired against competent teams. He gets caught a lot. It's not great. But sometimes it's what he has to do because if JGIII is out there locked up, AG is calling for the ball to shoot a 35 footer and Q is shaking in his boots, what else is there? He cannot blow by his guy like LeBron so he does what he can. Is what it is. If he even got a little hesi move and some lift, I would like to see him with a mid range J there instead of having to back down his guy or dribble head down.
I don't need Buddy's counting stats to prove his worth. His counting stats leave a lot to be desired when you look at efficiency.

BUT, he can go NBA Jam from three. He plays well with Kadary. He isn't showboating for the NBA like AG and he isn't shook like Q. Competency and awareness matter.

There are times where it looks like the only guys we have that don't get scared when we go down is Buddy, Kadary and Bras. Nerve when the going gets tough matters.

I just want to see what Buddy/Kadary can do from the get go. What damage can we do if Kadary is breaking down guys off the dribble and Buddy gets open looks from the tip.

He is not All American and that is ok. He is not the most talented player on the roster and that is ok. He isn't an elite shooter, but he can get hot, and that is ok.
I know we are talking about winning basketball games, but in an industry filled with head cases, I would venture a guess that Buddy creates very little drama for the coaches. I doubt anyone works harder than he does. That still means something to some people.

I like Buddy as a player. If we had just one big that required an occasional double team Buddy would be much more effective.

Last edited:
except they recruited
  • Carey a very highly rated combo guard
  • Goodine who was a highly rated combo
  • Girard a shooting guard by nature
  • Kadary
Now you can say we blew it in our recruiting evaluation of Carey and Goodine (and that is likely the case based on what they are doing at their new homes). However, they were recruited with the expectation that they would be very good players and get significant time.

Cuse
I am definitely late to the convo and someone may have pointed this out...but all of those guys were recruited to play PG...Not Buddy's spot.

Interesting.

I know we are talking about winning basketball games, but in an industry filled with head cases, I would venture a guess that Buddy creates very little drama for the coaches. I doubt anyone works harder than he does. That still means something to some people.

I like Buddy as a player. If we had just one big that required an occasional double team Buddy would be more much effective.
I imagine you mean by his actions, and from what I have seen, I would tend to agree with that. Where he likely does create some tension is not from his own actions, but how he's used by the head coach. Completely out of his control, but it's got to be there. I am guessing, but I think Woody considering leaving is a direct result of Buddy getting used as a small forward instead of the guys who were recruited for that position and the effect it has on other players.

Are you serious? Did you watch McBuckets in college?

It should be. Joe can be a spark plug when he's playing well. He's served a purpose in some games.
I'm perplexed by what has happened to Joe. He was pretty solid last year, but he is NOT the same player this year. I can't remember anyone at SU who fell off, performance-wise, like he has.

Buddy compared to Kyle Korver and McDermott in one day. JJ Reddick come on down...

Buddy isn't the problem - what's he supposed to say "take me out". I will say that he is the most awkward player I have ever seen diving/fighting for loose balls. He always looks like he just got a manicure and wants to protect his mitts.

I'm perplexed by what has happened to Joe. He was pretty solid last year, but he is NOT the same player this year. I can't remember anyone at SU who fell off, performance-wise, like he has.
Looking over your shoulder can do that to a kid's confidence.

I wasn't talking about JB. I think I said that after jb, if jb continues to slide, if the next guy is G-rob ish, we have big problems. I might add, as i get older I notice, you don't get better. You don't get more energy. You don't get more patience. You don't get more flexible. Unless God steps in, Jb will probably be the coach in two years. 78. I can't even imagine.
Don't sell yourself short. Just get some Nugenix from GNC and Touch of Gray, and you're good to go. You can still be the stud you always imagined yourself to be.

Looking over your shoulder can do that to a kid's confidence.
There is playing time for all 3 if they all play well. Joe can play point and shooting guard so that should help his PT. He just needs to protect the ball better and hit shots. If he isn't hitting or if he is careless with the ball, he will not get the time he wants.

First, I would appreciate it if you would stop lying. I did not say JG should have gotten more minutes against ND. I said he probably deserved more (he played okay), but we needed defense to win the game (and Kadary is by far our best defender).

Stats are facts. Even you should understand that. Again, when I provided the stats, I noted Buddy was 5th in the conference in minutes played, and that helps his numbers.

You can't be as stupid and awful as you are acting. I want to engage in an intelligent discussion. It is becoming evident you are not capable of this.

I think some of you are so crazed in your love for Kadary that anything said good about someone else makes you furious.

I have been advocating for Kadary to start from the start of the season. I expected JB to make the switch well before conference play started. I remain in favor of it. I would not play Buddy 35 minutes a game if I were the coach.

Like dash says, I am just saying Buddy is a good player who does more than he shoot 3s well. You can't have to attack every player on the team who might be a roadblock in playing time for Kadary.
And you don't have to attack posters personally who disagree with you. It's the antithesis of an intelligent discussion.

I have compared Buddy for months to former URI player Jimmy Baron and Louisville player Luke Hancock.

Buddy and Hancock were similar shooters but Hancock was a much better all around player.

Rebounding, ball handling, passing, defensively I think Hancock had a big edge. At least while he was at Louisville but I don’t really know what he was like at George Mason.

Edit: I checked the numbers per 100 possessions and the Advanced numbers and Buddy seems to be a good bit behind even Hancock.

This team has so many lingering issues that after a game where Buddy was a bright spot, it seems counter-productive to focus on him.
These posts are becoming regurgitative and tired. The concept of "The Buck Stops Here" says that the HC is the one to look at when you have this many issues in play, & whether that's JB or Dino, it's his baby.
The problems come about when you attempt to bring it back to the HC and his choices, & there is the usual amen-corner whining about "agendas" or "anti-JB biases- which frankly is completely beside the point.
Buddy's strengths and limitations have been dissected ad-infinitum, as have JG3's, Marek's, and everyone else's on this square-peg-v-round-hole team. But we are stuck w/ a HC who seemingly refuses to acknowledge the obvious at times, and wants to do the same things but expects different results. And as the blowouts and mediocrity become more & more obvious, even to him, you can only hope that he finally changes his approach or concedes to the reality. If that means hanging it up & stepping aside, then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom