What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB will never get GRob ish his floor is probably a 15-16 season
He can go 9-2 in the nonconference if we play just 1 P6 in a holiday tournament and the Big Ten team. Just fill up the other games with tomato cans.
6-14 Is about the worst I can see in a ACC conference play season and I would expect more.

He is smart enough to schedule wins if he is worried.

I think he is saying if the NEXT COACH is GRobish, not JB.

JB will never get GRob ish his floor is probably a 15-16 season
He can go 9-2 in the nonconference if we play just 1 P6 in a holiday tournament and the Big Ten team. Just fill up the other games with tomato cans.
6-14 Is about the worst I can see in a ACC conference play season and I would expect more.

He is smart enough to schedule wins if he is worried.
I wasn't talking about JB. I think I said that after jb, if jb continues to slide, if the next guy is G-rob ish, we have big problems. I might add, as i get older I notice, you don't get better. You don't get more energy. You don't get more patience. You don't get more flexible. Unless God steps in, Jb will probably be the coach in two years. 78. I can't even imagine.

Excellent example. I think the consensus from most people is that Buddy is an ACC level player. Just should be a complimentary player and not leading the conference in FGA/Gm. No one blames him for it either. It's a rough situation. My main issue is that his pops usually has a quick trigger on guys that botch defensive rotations or lack effort or take dumb shots but seems not to ever apply to him no matter what.

Agreed. Anybody who doesn't think he could contribute at UNC, UVa, Florida State, etc. isn't being objectively honest.

They would just use him differently, in a way well suited to maximize his contributions. The way he's used here, playing for his dad, causes diminishing returns.

He can’t drive, driving isn’t going in them finishing with a fade away at the free throw line.
He absolutely is strictly a 3 point shooter.
If I need someone to drive and score 2 points when we’re down 1, Buddy is not the guy I want taking that shot, Kadary is. If I need a 3, Buddy is that guy.
He can drive. Has a nice floater off the backboard as well as an ability to back his defender down in the paint and shoot the fade away.

Of course, Kadary can drive too...and is better at it. That does not mean Buddy can't. He does it a lot...and gets points.

I trust the people who say Wildhack has a plan.
I would love to know what you have seen that gives you that confidence? I would ask the A.D. but because some guy told me that Howard was sat because the A.D. didn't like the trip of Zion, I don't think my opinions are welcome.

I wasn't talking about JB. I think I said that after jb, if jb continues to slide, if the next guy is G-rob ish, we have big problems. I might add, as i get older I notice, you don't get better. You don't get more energy. You don't get more patience. You don't get more flexible. Unless God steps in, Jb will probably be the coach in two years. 78. I can't even imagine.
It's so miserable. Gary Williams got pushed out of his alma mater a year after winning the ACC regular season and he was only 66.

If you look at KenPom, ironically our worst year ever rebounding was 2012. The thing we did really well in 2012 though was protect the paint with Fab. Recently we can't do that. We used to give up 42% from 2. That is now near 50%. The rebounding has always been bad, but we have overcome it in other areas in the past.

Yeah - Fab was a meh rebounder (which is kinda shocking for a 7' athletic house) -
but his rim protection was ELITE.

Between blocks, and taking charges (our best Big EVER at that), he was a serious deterrent to forays into and shots from the paint.

Like with anything - if you can't be good at one thing, you need to make up for it elsewhere.
Or you're screwed. Like now.

This may sound strange to some, but I am starting to see Buddy as the next coach, and it feels good. I certainly understand all the complaints about playing time, though, due to Kadary.

I would love to know what you have seen that gives you that confidence? I would ask the A.D. but because some guy told me that Howard was sat because the A.D. didn't like the trip of Zion, I don't think my opinions are welcome.
Plain and simple it’s RF. He is confident that Wildhack has a plan so I trust him.

I have been skeptical of Wildhack but after he gave a million dollars of his own money I decided to just shut up and wait for something to cause him to act.

It's so miserable. Gary Williams got pushed out of his alma mater a year after winning the ACC regular season and he was only 66.
Another thing I know more about than most here. No one is as exited about their job after 40 years as they were when they were new to the job. That is just life. We read on the board about a 5 star center that has some interest in us but hasn't heard from us. Maybe they know we really don't have a chance but what effort does it really make to make a call. 40 years ago, as a new broker, I called and got an interview with a guy that was in the top 100 wealthiest men in America. (he just died at 106) I didn't get the account but it was worth a try. It doesn't seem that we are making that effort in recruiting now. Red did to get us Marek. But Jb wouldn't have.

It's a weird day for this thread. Buddy played very well last night, and if it weren't for he and Kadary, we would have lost by 40.

All season I've been hoping JB would ride the backcourt combo that was hot, and that's largely what he did last night (he should have yanked Girard earlier after that 35 foot no-conscience heave, but there are different rules for different players).

Buddy plays too many minutes and takes too many shots. Those facts are in evidence. But that's not changing, and last night he was good.

You lost me on this story? I would be interested in details.

Another thing I know more about than most here. No one is as exited about their job after 40 years as they were when they were new to the job. That is just life. We read on the board about a 5 star center that has some interest in us but hasn't heard for us. Maybe they know we really don't have a chance but what effort does it really make to make a call. 40 years ago, as a new broker, I called and got an interview with a guy that was in the top 100 wealthiest men in America. (he just died at 106) I didn't get the account but it was worth a try. It doesn't seem that we are making that effort in recruiting now. Red did to get us Marek. But Jb wouldn't have.
If Buddy was 40+ like the age of the kids of most 76 year olds. Would JB still be coaching at Syracuse or would he have called it quite a while ago?

Wait what???
It is somewhat of an inside joke. Alsacs told me something when Howard was suspended before the NCAA tournament. I wrote our A.D. a nasty message. I came to believe the info was wrong. I wrote an apology and I have never wrote him again. I'm worried that there is a picture of me in the A.D.'s offcie that says if you see this man call the authorities immediately.

It is somewhat of an inside joke. Alsacs told me something when Howard was suspended before the NCAA tournament. I wrote our A.D. a nasty message. I came to believe the info was wrong. I wrote an apology and I have never wrote him again. I'm worried that there is a picture of me in the A.D.'s offcie that says if you see this man call the authorities immediately.

Yes, I remember all the rumors at the time. Everything from pot to steroids and he just started playing well. Probably the 2nd most disappointing finish of a team this decade after 2014.

I can confirm that the picture does exist along with the warning. I just didn't know the pic was you.

Great question. Someone last night did say, and I agree with this, jb likes being jb.

Sure seems like it. I know he has outside interests, but seems like it's his whole identity now and I'm not sure how well he would do without that identity as coach

Great question. Someone last night did say, and I agree with this, jb likes being jb.
That was me. It's my core belief when it comes to JB's psychology. He loves being "Jim Boeheim", and that goes away when he retires. Once you're not active, you're not really relevant. It's fine to be an elder statesman and all that, but no one is hanging on your every word 7 days a week.

I mean, last night he did a 20 minute press conference after his team got annihilated. It was like a talk show, he reveled in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom