What I expect at this point… | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

coaching man isn't rocket science despite what one coach may keep telling us. I hope he goes more offense, gets shooters, creators in here and some competent 4-5 types that can rebound and score. Tired of watching teams that struggle to score.

Watching 5-7 minute scoring droughts routinely, isn’t providing a lot of excitement for ya?

If you thought BJ was a high major player in early 2015 then that’s your choice, it’s a wrong one but your choice none the less
I've never seen Boeheim do a worse job with a player. Put him in positions to make Benny Williams mistakes then chewed him out publicly. BJ never got a chance to play through a bad bounce or bad decision.

He was a beast that ND game the only time he got any run I think they were ranked and it was on the road.

He was a loss once Gbinije moved to PG. If G stays at SF there are no minutes for him with Malachi on the team.

Hes also the only player who hasn't absolutely sucked after leaving us its shocking that guys drop down and somehow get worse Braswell and Carey aren't doing well at Charlotte or URI Seton Hall guys went backwards etc.

The board will call for freshman to get run off because they’re not good enough in their first year, but a guy struggles mightily for two years (and only gets the benefit of the doubt because he played better at a low major school) and the coaches should’ve given him some slack…

It’s wild how drastically history is rewritten.

Boy- someone is just plan salty since the JB retirement.

And it wasn’t even the entire tournament. It was one game. He shot 4-21 in the two previous tournament games prior to Virginia. When people tell me NBA scouts aren’t dumb I will always point to that. He and Cooney had the same numbers that season.
I think they may be getting smarter because the same thing easily could have happened with Caleb Love last year. I was losing my mind when people were saying he might be a lottery pick but ultimately his draft stock never actually improved so he stayed.

Yeah, look...

GMAC needs to prove he can get a real job without relying on Syracuse.

I know that sounds harsh. But when you look at his career, after a couple years trying to make pro ball work he came back to Syracuse as a grad assistant. No shame in that. Then he got a battle field promotion. Unusual, also no shame in that. And that's where he's been for a long while now.

But at a certain point someone else has to believe in him. It can't all just be Syracuse giving him shots.

And I get that's funny, because we also have the Jim Boeheim Syracuse context, but Boeheim is the outlier of all outliers. There's no historical equivalent. The odds we see a career like his again are nearly zero.
We just transitioned to a new coach and we want one of CBBs best recruiters to go find a new job. HCAA needs recruiting staff and Gmac is widely regarded as one of the best younger guys out there.

And it wasn’t even the entire tournament. It was one game. He shot 4-21 in the two previous tournament games prior to Virginia. When people tell me NBA scouts aren’t dumb I will always point to that. He and Cooney had the same numbers that season.
Malachi played HS ball at TCA about 15 min away from where I live. I saw him play 3-4x in HS and knew immediately he wasn't all that. Physically he had the necessary requirements but he played with minimal effort and had no interest in doing the little things that help teams win games. When Sacramento took him in the first round it seemed appropriate that it was the Kings that made that pick.

Disagree on Sims. Don’t know why JB didn’t give him more run early. SU stayed away from Michael Brown (CNS/Providence) because they had Z and Anthony Harris. JB told Brown’s HS coach that he had an all league backcourt already.
Z always, ALWAYS made the right pass.
Edit: I liked him more than Lloyd. I can’t remember the local sports call in show then, but if you could find the tape, you would here me proclaim that SU would be better that year with Sims than they would have been with Lloyd.

Agree with all that, Z always had the right sense of where the ball should be on offense. Between his loose handle and defense, though, it took a long time to get Boeheim's trust. That staff and Z worked hard together to whittle his game down to where it maximized all his strengths and hid his flaws.

If you thought BJ was a high major player in early 2015 then that’s your choice, it’s a wrong one but your choice none the less

He was a Totally Adequate Syracuse Wing, just like the floor of everyone who came before him. But with a higher ceiling than some.

Trouble is, when we get impatient and run off the Totally Adequate Syracuse Wings during a time of relative struggle and instability, you're suddenly starting Inadequate Wings (and other position players) for the first time in history and it's apparent the floor's fallen out.

Last edited:
He was a Totally Adequate Syracuse Wing, just like the floor of everyone who came before him. But with a higher ceiling than some.

Trouble is, when we get impatient and run off the Totally Adequate Syracuse wings during a time of relative struggle and instability, you're suddenly starting Inadequate Wings (and other position players) for the first time in history it's apparent floor's fallen out.
He shot under 30% from the field his two seasons here. He was not in any way an adequate wing at the time. None of the wings that played for us in those years were worse than him at the time. He just put things together after he had moved to LaSalle. There wasn’t much reason after two years to think that was going to happen here as much as I wish it had worked out.

He shot under 30% from the field his two seasons here. He was not in any way an adequate wing at the time. None of the wings that played for us in those years were worse than him at the time. He just put things together after he had moved to LaSalle. There wasn’t much reason after two years to think that was going to happen here as much as I wish it had worked out.

B.J. Johnson was Demetris Nichols at the same stage. Same minutes, indistinguishable volume and percentage difference. It's not like this wasn't predictable, Boeheim's young forwards did this for forty years - struggle for awhile, then blossom into starting roles.

B.J. Johnson was Demetris Nichols at the same stage. Same minutes, indistinguishable volume and percentage difference. It's not like this wasn't predictable, Boeheim's young forwards did this for forty years - struggle for awhile, then blossom into starting roles.
Nichols was very inefficient his first two years. BJ Johnson was so inefficient it's almost hard to believe he wasn't intentionally missing shots. Again, he was shooting under 30% from the field through two seasons. Of the non-walk ons, he was arguably the worst player on the team through two seasons and among the worst non-walk on wings we've had this millennium IMO. Even in his 4 starts during his sophomore year, he shot a TS% of 31.4%.

Sure, there's always a chance that they suddenly turn into good players, but I'd bet if we went back and looked at players in his stratosphere of ineptitude through two full years, the hit rate is probably insanely low.

Agree with all that, Z always had the right sense of where the ball should be on offense. Between his loose handle and defense, though, it took a long time to get Boeheim's trust. That staff and Z worked hard together to whittle his game down to where it maximized all his strengths and hid his flaws.
If basketball kept assists like hockey, his numbers would have been crazy

Not sure this is the spot for this, but found it interesting. The money that could have been made off a final JB year.

7A2246BB-DE4C-4D7B-AB76-4B9A3283FD7B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom