What if JB had played more guys... | Syracusefan.com

What if JB had played more guys...

kcsu

Living Legend
Lets just say that Patterson and Rob played more minutes. Lets say that Gib had been provided more minutes at the point. Would we have lost more early games but ended up going further? Would Grant and Ennis be going pro. My guess is yes and possibly no.

Lets just say that Patterson and Rob played more minutes. Lets say that Gib had been provided more minutes at the point. Would we have lost more early games but ended up going further? Would Grant and Ennis be going pro. My guess is yes and possibly no.
We would have lost more games. We would have been knocked out the first weekend.

Every one and two possession game would have been a potential loss.

Losing more games means a lower tournament seed against a better opponent. However, if you have a crappy shooting day, you can lose to anybody in the tournament.

We lasted only 2 games in the tourney, yet Ennis decided to leave, while Grant is leaning towards leaving. If we had a deeper run, Ennis and Grant would have had more exposure, and their decisions to leave would have been easier.

"I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

we are still probably watching this weekend but at least we'd have a few more players returning next year battle tested.

Anyone who answers this question with any form of certainty is full of crap. I hate how the same people give the same damn talking points as if this is politics. Nobody is above criticism the same people defend JB time after time with the same answers. As long as nothing personal is said or done for strickly trolling purposes any criticism is legitimate. JB is a great coach and is the face of SU basketball, but read Jack McCallum's article on Syracuse.com JB's knows the lack of depth is what frustrates a lot of fans. However, JB will never 2nd guess himself which he is right to feel that way. However, anyone who says this isn't a legit question is full of it. If the 7 guys in the rotation had no struggles I could see no tinkering around with it, but we struggled for over a month and saw very little changes. The reason why we only played 7 guys was JB decided the rest weren't ready, but the fact people say we would lose more games as if that really matters is crazy. I would rather be a 6 seed with a team ready to play then a 3 seed that is regressing. The regular season is pointless honestly all the regular season is getting ready for March. I don't care if we go 28-5 or 24-9 as our program is strong enough with facilities, attendance that recruiting will be fine. I would like to see the team getting better over the course of the season.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ims_feelings_on_depth_dessert_and_the_du.html
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ims_feelings_on_depth_dessert_and_the_du.html

The regular season is pointless honestly all the regular season is getting ready for March. I don't care if we go 28-5 or 24-9 as our program is strong enough with facilities, attendance that recruiting will be fine. I would like to see the team getting better over the course of the season.

Made even more true this year where you watched us give up first place in the ACC down the stretch, lose in the first round of the ACC tournament and lose in the second round of the NCAA tournament. While we had a boatload of wins, you weren't left with the feeling that this team accomplished much of anything.

It cracks me up that some people think the more players that play the better your team will be. All I know for certain is if you play for the future instead of now. Now will never happen

Made even more true this year where you watched us give up first place in the ACC down the stretch, lose in the first round of the ACC tournament and lose in the second round of the NCAA tournament. While we had a boatload of wins, you weren't left with the feeling that this team accomplished much of anything.
Also of the Final Four teams 3 of them didn't win a regular season title or conference tournament. Florida won both in the SEC, Kentucky finished 2nd in both, Wisconsin was 3rd in the B1G and lost in the B1G semifinals, UConn finished 4th in AAC and lost the AAC tournament final to Louisville.

The regular season is about improving and getting the better for March. Wins are the most important, but if your a tournament team then its all about improving which relies on winning the most. However, winning a bunch of games and losing early in March negates your season. Duke would call this season a wasted year. We are elite and JB is a great HOF coach, but isn't above being 2nd guessed by the fanbase. I am not wishing him away as he is the best thing about SU hoops, but the question the OP asked is legit.

We ran our starters into the ground and did not improve our offense for 5 months straight. Us falling behind at the end of the season had more to do with every other team around us getting better as the season progressed. We stayed the same.

Alsacs said:
Also of the Final Four teams 3 of them didn't win a regular season title or conference tournament. Florida won both in the SEC, Kentucky finished 2nd in both, Wisconsin was 3rd in the B1G and lost in the B1G semifinals, UConn finished 4th in AAC and lost the AAC tournament final to Louisville.

The regular season is about improving and getting the better for March. Wins are the most important, but if your a tournament team then its all about improving which relies on winning the most. However, winning a bunch of games and losing early in March negates your season. Duke would call this season a wasted year. We are elite and JB is a great HOF coach, but isn't above being 2nd guessed by the fanbase. I am not wishing him away as he is the best thing about SU hoops, but the question the OP asked is legit.

It's funny how only four teams make the final four every year. It must be the other 342 teams didn't play their bench and improve over the year

It's funny how only four teams make the final four every year. It must be the other 342 teams didn't play their bench and improve over the year

We're in top 10 for talent in college bball almost every year with multiple NBA players per class. Don't think we should be held to the same final four standard year to year as New Mexico St.

Losing to BC, Georgia Tech, NC St, and Dayton to end the season is pretty embarrassing. We didn't go down to a #1 seed Florida in a hard fought game to end the season here. So yeah pretty shameful.

Not sure what your point is? At Syracuse we expect to be competitive for NC most years with the talent we have. We regressed over the course of the season. I don't understand why you are comparing Syracuse to the rest of college basketball. You compare yourself to the company you want to keep.

It cracks me up that some people think the more players that play the better your team will be. All I know for certain is if you play for the future instead of now. Now will never happen

No one thinks that the more players that play the better the team will be. But most people think that the more players that you have that are ready to contribute something at the end of the year, the better the chance that you'll be able to overcome fatigue, injuries, foul trouble and off nights from key players. We weren't in a position to do any of that this year and it showed in how our season finished up.

our final record supposing we had played more bench is really anybody's guess. you can't rewind that. but i don't think anyone here can argue that actual game time experience logged is more valuable to player development than practice time.

this is ridiculous.
Really? First, we would have lost more games. Everyone would have been crying here because we would have "lost" Buffalo and New York. The guy who sees those kids every day at practice says they can't play. And when we got to see them, I didn't see anything that I can say changed my opinion. I know you have been watching syracuse for a long time, maybe 5 years, but others here have been watching for 40 plus years. And JB is usually proven correct.

To you JB is beyond reproach which is total BS.
Not at all. I find his conduct with the local press to be disgusting. I just think he knows more about basketball than you do. Call me crazy. He has been doing it for 40 years. He goes to coaching clinics. He talks to guys like john Wooden. How about you?

April fools day was the 1st
Huh. We were knocked out the first weekend. Are you saying that by playing my three sons earlier and more, that would have changed? That is an April fools joke.

Really? First, we would have lost more games. Everyone would have been crying here because we would have "lost" Buffalo and New York. The guy who sees those kids every day at practice says they can't play. And when we got to see them, I didn't see anything that I can say changed my opinion. I know you have been watching syracuse for a long time, maybe 5 years, but others here have been watching for 40 plus years. And JB is usually proven correct.
5 years?

Alright. I'm going to be honest. The amount of love and faithfulness in JB on this board is admirable, but the guy is not god. He's made mistakes. It's blatantly obvious that the lack of a bench was one of those mistakes this year. Our starts were fatigued, tired and at points even injured. That cost us games.

Trueblue25 said:
That cost us games.

Do you have proof of that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors