What is frustrating about The football program | Syracusefan.com

What is frustrating about The football program

SUMJF

Walk On
I don’t expect to be an elite football program but Dino has been here 8 years and the program still makes a lot of undisciplined mistakes.

Plus recruiting hasn’t really taken off. Dino has done a better job at recruiting than Shafer or Marrone. Though, Dino has had way better support and resources that neither of those 2 coaches had.

This program had a major punch in the guts recruiting this week.
We need to be winning with teamwork, discipline and development.

I just don’t see those qualities from Dino Babers. He isn’t getting fired but we need to get talent and I think we lost more talent than we gained and that is scary.

I don’t expect to be an elite football program but Dino has been here 8 years and the program still makes a lot of undisciplined mistakes.

Plus recruiting hasn’t really taken off. Dino has done a better job at recruiting than Shafer or Marrone. Though, Dino has had way better support and resources that neither of those 2 coaches had.

This program had a major punch in the guts recruiting this week.
We need to be winning with teamwork, discipline and development.

I just don’t see those qualities from Dino Babers. He isn’t getting fired but we need to get talent and I think we lost more talent than we gained and that is scary.
Between the portal, JUCO, HS recruits and players returning from injury, we've added significantly more talent than we lost. Especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It's the holiday season, time to be festive rather than "glass half empty" gloom.

I don’t think you realize how hard it is to recruit to Syracuse.
I am generally curious as to why they are unable to recruit as well as Boise St., WVU, BC, Vandy, UCF, Rutgers, UTSA, Memphis, Colorado St. Temple, Tulane, Arkansas St & Kansas. I feel like we should be able to do better than most of, if not all of these schools. Yet, all of these schools have higher ranked classes as of now.

I don’t understand why location would make it that difficult. How many large cities are within 4-6 hours? That’s not very far..

Discipline is a major issue imo.

These threads arent wrong. We still lack a culture
Schmidt needs to clamp down on the online penalties. Maybe Beck will make a difference, we’ll see.
I disagree on the culture thing though.

Recruiting will not take off unless there’s boosters with deep pockets here. That’s an absolute fact.
That’s one major issue I think. They don’t spend enough of recruiting. I would guess they probably don’t crack the top 60.

You know, I hear this from posters all the time. Why is it so hard? Because of a little snow? As I have said many times, it snows in Michigan, at Ped State, at Notre Dame, at BC. Because academic standards are high? They are high at BC, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. You know, this excuse is BS.

I am generally curious as to why they are unable to recruit as well as Boise St., WVU, BC, Vandy, UCF, Rutgers, UTSA, Memphis, Colorado St. Temple, Tulane, Arkansas St & Kansas. I feel like we should be able to do better than most of, if not all of these schools. Yet, all of these schools have higher ranked classes as of now.

I don’t understand why location would make it that difficult. How many large cities are within 4-6 hours? That’s not very far..
Boise feasted on California and Texas for years. BC has Catholic feeder schools, is a Notre Dame back up school, and is still a peer to (or worse than) Cuse. UTSA mines Texas HS ranks. UCF does the same in Florida. Memphis is talent rich and recruits local kids overlooked by the SEC. Temple is in Philly and sucks, Tulane is in SEC country and appears to have figured things out, Rutgers is in a talent rich area and will continue to get eaten alive by its closest conference mates. Arkansas St has great G5 facilities. Kansas has positive momentum for once.

I saw both UTSA and Temple in person this year. Cuse would have pulled away from UTSA and rolled Temple.

You know, I hear this from posters all the time. Why is it so hard? Because of a little snow? As I have said many times, it snows in Michigan, at Ped State, at Notre Dame, at BC. Because academic standards are high? They are high at BC, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. You know, this excuse is BS.
A million different factors. ND and BC have Catholic HS feeders (look at their rosters). Michigan and Ped St have far more local talent and much more recent success. Wisconsin has insane local talent in the trenches. Ohio State can recruit nationally. Those programs also have more financial backing, which makes a huge difference.

A million different factors. ND and BC have Catholic HS feeders (look at their rosters). Michigan and Ped St have far more local talent and much more recent success. Wisconsin has insane local talent in the trenches. Ohio State can recruit nationally. Those programs also have more financial backing, which makes a huge difference.
The only point you make that is at all reasonable is that many programs have more recent success. If SU continues the upward trend, recruiting will improve. And don't tell me BC has more financial backing. BS. Maybe their hockey team does.

Between the portal, JUCO, HS recruits and players returning from injury, we've added significantly more talent than we lost. Especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball. It's the holiday season, time to be festive rather than "glass half empty" gloom.

I don't think that is true at all. We lose Bergeron, Tucker, G. Williams all to the NFL. Mikel likely going too. Even if we're not counting them as they are going to the next level and not another school, we lose Deuce and Ja'had. The guys we've brought in should outweigh those losses, but that is TBD. Saying we've added significantly more talent than we've lost is just not factual. Then throw in the Sellers and VCJ decommits and it gets even worse. The group of 1st year players we're bringing in is 1 of the lower rated groups we've had in quite a while. I love this team and this program, but I'm very concerned about the future.

The only point you make that is at all reasonable is that many programs have more recent success. If SU continues the upward trend, recruiting will improve. And don't tell me BC has more financial backing. BS. Maybe their hockey team does.
You picked out the most debatable points (recent success) and funding (I didn't mean BC when I said well funded). But just ignore everything else that helps argue your point!

With NIL, Recruiting for Syracuse should be easier. It's less about location and 100% about paying players more than the other guy.

Players aren't looking at the best facilities and at the school's location anymore; they are 100% just looking to get the best NIL deal they can.

It's all about the $. Get right on NIL, have a system and pipeline of NIL going into your program, and the players will come.

With NIL, Recruiting for Syracuse should be easier. It's less about location and 100% about paying players more than the other guy.

Players aren't looking at the best facilities and at the school's location anymore; they are 100% just looking to get the best NIL deal they can.

It's all about the $. Get right on NIL, have a system and pipeline of NIL going into your program, and the players will come.
I mean, sure? NIL is only a year and a half old and is still evolving. There's nothing definitive about it yet - what works best, the best way to approach it, who to reward.

NIL is so new, you can’t blame recruiting on NIL except for possibly this year. What I blame lackluster recruiting on is the lack of attracting enough players from the historical core recruiting states of NY, MA, CT, NJ, PA, and MD/DC. We can complain about the decline of HS football in the Northeast, yet in the past 2 years 37 kids from CT and MA for example, were grabbed by the Big 10, SEC, ND, and ACC and Syracuse got 1. These are kids that can drive to campus and also see Syracuse play at BC.

I thought that when Babers was hired, he would use the Dome to have an exciting offense and team that would be unique to the Northeast and attract local talent. It hasn’t happened. For some reason, he has not connected with the recruits from the core recruiting states. The coaching staff doesn’t seem to have strong ties to the traditional recruiting areas so maybe that is a reason.

Absolutely delusional take. "Significantly more talent than we've lost". You know this how? I mean, Happy Holidays but pass the Orange Eggnog you're drunk on. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom