What is JJ's ceiling? | Syracusefan.com

What is JJ's ceiling?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I ask because he has the 3rd worst PER by a starting guard at Syracuse since they started tracking it in 2009. The only two who had worse production were Frank Howard his SR year when he started the season injured and Kaleb Joseph. While I suspect Red will make improvements to the roster we need JJ to improve his defense, shooting, passing and ball handing in order for us to be a legitimate ACC Contender next season.

Capture.JPG

I ask because he has the 3rd worst PER by a starting guard at Syracuse since they started tracking it in 2009. The only two who had worse production were Frank Howard his SR year when he started the season injured and Kaleb Joseph. While I suspect Red will make improvements to the roster we need JJ to improve his defense, shooting, passing and ball handing in order for us to be a legitimate ACC Contender next season.

View attachment 238495
His defense is still just bad. But I will say I watched a lot last night just feeling some of the inefficiency is due to getting handed a grenade at the top of the key with 10 seconds left and told “now you go”.

View attachment 238495
His offensive ceiling is all-ACC star level. He’s starting to put it all together on the offensive end but still has more room to grow. He will take another big jump next season. He’s great at getting into the paint and attacking the rim. His defense, though, needs a ton of work. There’s no reason he should be a bad defender considering his quickness and length. He has a lot of work to do in the offseason on that end, alot of it mental.

Last edited:
I think he'd benefit immensely playing w/ a true PG who knows how to run a team. No excuse for his poor D. He has the physical tools to be a good defender but not the mentality. I think his ceiling is Tyus Battle.
I admit I wasn't the biggest Tyus fan because I thought he was a bit of a ball hog even for those weaker offensive teams, but JJ appears to be even a bigger black hole. Tyus also played elite defense. We've played pretty good offense since January, but our D has been abysmal and he was a big part of it. That's the reason he was benched for Cuffe last night. We have to get better on that end.

I admit I wasn't the biggest Tyus fan because I thought he was a bit of a ball hog even for those weaker offensive teams, but JJ appears to be even a bigger black hole. Tyus also played elite defense. We've played pretty good offense since January, but our D has been abysmal and he was a big part of it. That's the reason he was benched for Cuffe last night. We have to get better on that end.
The great thing about JJ is we very likely have him for another two years. He's clearly very talented and capable of being an All-ACC player.

View attachment 238495

I am cautious (very cautious) in my hope for JJ.

What I would say is if you are looking at glass half full:
>> Being paired with Judah on this team in the back court is just a terrible situation for him to be in. We have four centers that can't play. Benny got kicked off the team. Westry got hurt. And, again, playing with Judah must not be easy for him.

>> I still think the injury is impacting him.

>> Unlike some others, I haven't seen him arguing with the coach during the game or with the refs during live possessions, so he has that going for him.

I dunno. I wouldn't bet money on him leveling up, but I also think there is still something there.

I think he'd benefit immensely playing w/ a true PG who knows how to run a team. No excuse for his poor D. He has the physical tools to be a good defender but not the mentality. I think his ceiling is Tyus Battle.

Me, too.

Also important to note that his skill set is highly duplicative of his backcourt partner's, who has all of the same strengths and also the same limitations [i.e., inconsistent outside shooting].

Might look different not just with a true lead guard flanking him, but also without having two players who are highly similar trying to co-exist.

His defense is still just bad. But I will say I watched a lot last night just feeling some of the inefficiency is due to getting handed a grenade at the top of the key with 10 seconds left and told “now you go”.
He's OKC Melo then

Totally agree. Girard's offensive rating in conference was 106.1 last year, it's 124 this year

In conference (after he got settled) Starling is at 105.4

I bet starling would be very efficient on uconn or he would take a seat for contested a step inside the three point line

Jury is still out on autry but if I thought this was actually what he wants to run, I'd be very pissed they didn't hire someone with an offensive system

Not sure, but I would be a lot more optimistic about some of these guys if they weren't in the bottom ~15% of ACC players in the categories we need improvement in. That's a tough hill to climb.

I really want to make JJ work, but when we talk about saving NIL money by showing players the door and using that money elsewhere, I have no idea why his name does not come up. He is a nightmare for building a well balanced backcourt. Not a good enough shooter or defender to be our starting shooting guard. Not skilled enough as a ball handler or playmaker (or defender) to be our starting point guard. We talk with guys like Bell about how they do not do enough on offense to make up for their pitiful defense. That absolutely applies to JJ!! His defense is significantly worse than Judah's and just as bad as Bell's. People talk about playing with the big boys. There is no scenario barring massive improvements in several areas, where JJ leads us to the promised land playing major starting minutes at either guard spot. Guys like Bell and JJ may have a role on an elite team, but that role is coming off the bench. Would JJ be willing to do that?

Always funny to see which players the board thinks are poised for a massive massive improvement next season. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Maybe it happens, but when things are this bad right now it seems more likely than not that it looks like more of the same next season. Do we really want to bank our success next season on JJ looking like a totally different player??

JJ still gets the jitters I think. We can't forget that he played for a terrible ND team and Brey threw him to the wolves last year plus that lingering shoulder injury. They lost alot of games.

Those days are long gone and we saw JJ shake them off, but doesn't mean they don't creep back in at times in big moments. He's a quiet guy that doesn't show alot of emotion. I think he's a guy that will see huge bounce in the offseason with another year in Autry's system.

I'm sorry but I think he needs to improve a lot. His handle is not good and I have posted on his inability to execute simple passes which is absurd at this level. By eye test he may be the worst defender on a team of bad defenders. For a guy who plays a ton of minutes there are blocks of live game time where you don't even notice him on the floor.

I really want to make JJ work, but when we talk about saving NIL money by showing players the door and using that money elsewhere, I have no idea why his name does not come up. He is a nightmare for building a well balanced backcourt. Not a good enough shooter or defender to be our starting shooting guard. Not skilled enough as a ball handler or playmaker (or defender) to be our starting point guard. We talk with guys like Bell about how they do not do enough on offense to make up for their pitiful defense. That absolutely applies to JJ!! His defense is significantly worse than Judah's and just as bad as Bell's. People talk about playing with the big boys. There is no scenario barring massive improvements in several areas, where JJ leads us to the promised land playing major starting minutes at either guard spot. Guys like Bell and JJ may have a role on an elite team, but that role is coming off the bench. Would JJ be willing to do that?

Always funny to see which players the board thinks are poised for a massive massive improvement next season. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Maybe it happens, but when things are this bad right now it seems more likely than not that it looks like more of the same next season. Do we really want to bank our success next season on JJ looking like a totally different player??
It's 3 years without the Tourney. There is no cap on NIL for this hoops team unless we're talking a bidding war with Kansas for a Hunter Dickenson. The football team just got every dollar they asked for pumped into the Fran Brown system with 50 guys. Autry will get whatever he needs for 10 guys he wants.

Who do you think is better in the portal than JJ right now that is a phone call away? Surely you have someone in mind? Is RJ coming back?

JJ has the ability to be a high end three level scorer. A guy you can take 17 a night to the bank. We have seen it. He needs to work on and improve his weaknesses obviously.

If he, Q, and Bell clean up the unforced errors, that is three very good offensive players to build around.

Totally agree. Girard's offensive rating in conference was 106.1 last year, it's 124 this year

In conference (after he got settled) Starling is at 105.4

I bet starling would be very efficient on uconn or he would take a seat for contested a step inside the three point line

Jury is still out on autry but if I thought this was actually what he wants to run, I'd be very pissed they didn't hire someone with an offensive system
We are top 20 in offensive efficiency since January. Until last night I thought we were moving pretty good off the ball and running stuff we never saw under JB. Joe also never had 2 seasons of a sub 13 PER.

The eye test does not match the production here.

Last edited:
If he cant improve his defense then I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers again after next season. There is no place for terrible effort like that on a P5 team, especially when you have zero top tier offensive skills to offset it. There are better two guards out there and I would encourage red to knock on doors.

We are top 20 in offensive efficiency since January. Until last night I thought we were moving pretty good off the ball and running stuff we never saw under JB. Joe also never had 2 seasons of a sub 13 PER.

This sounds like a cop out, I know

But I think that comes from Bell going bananas, some good one one Marcus, and from Starling having a good stretch of making terrible shots

But I don't think it works in the long run

Judah simply isn’t a PG and doesn’t have the ability to make teammates better. JJs flaws paired with a backcourt mate that does nothing to help him has made the offensive 180 since January a major surprise given the limitations.

Judah is like 6-3 Keith Langford. Great third guard and scorer but lacks a true position and then doesn’t do enough of everything else. JJ needs to spend all summer on defense and his shooting. Forget trying to be a lead guard. Maximize his speed and improve his efficiency.

It’s like he was never truly taught how to defend. He allows too much separation, gets distracted looking for the ball, and sometimes just doesn’t seem all that interested. Looks like he hates getting switched to a big guy and has no clue how to even try to defend in those situations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom