What is Meaning of "we will listen if contacted by another conference" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is Meaning of "we will listen if contacted by another conference"

One bonus regarding a bunch of schools leaving the ACC is that we would be in a confirmed league and not have to have any waiting period to continue playing in the NCAA's due to forming a new conference like we might have had to do if we had no conference to go to. The name ACC still works and depending who left/stays it could still be a pretty good conference. Just make the best of a possible worst case scenario.

What happens to the tv contract if schools leave?

Everything is perception in this crazy world of college football realignment. So, by holding a meeting, publishing your notes, Clemson is trying to give the public the perception that they are a coveted school. In the hopes that it will land them in what they think is the best place.

Unfortunately for Clemson, they are the tag along. No one is taking them as first choice. Well, I'm sure the Big East would take them. But the Big 12 will take them if they get FSU. The SEC really has no need for them. 80k stadium and their geography is nice. But the SEC would rather expand their presence into North Carolina and Virginia than get a 2nd school in South Carolina.

If that were true, there would have been no expansion in 2004.

Yeah, at some point, I would love to hear some specific examples of how Swofford is primarily looking out for the NC schools' best interest. People say it all the time, but no one ever really gives specifics. What has he done for them that did not benefit everyone else?

Yeah, at some point, I would love to hear some specific examples of how Swofford is primarily looking out for the NC schools' best interest. People say it all the time, but no one ever really gives specifics. What has he done for them that did not benefit everyone else?

Exactly. The ACC right now, is the Pac12 with better basketball and better markets. While Oregon and USC have been carrying the Pac12, the ACC needs schools like FSU and Miami (or Clemson) to step up and be the teams they once were. If that happens, the ACC is as good as anyone -- sans the SEC in football. Basketball is not even close. Just win.

The punishment NC received from the ACC is by far lighter than what Clemson got and what NC did was far worse, especially if academics are suppose to be so important in the ACC.

The punishment NC received from the ACC is by far lighter than what Clemson got and what NC did was far worse, especially if academics are suppose to be so important in the ACC.

I've read this a few times. What are the specifics?

What were the infractions and what was the exact punishment?

Nothing wrong with shopping around, this happens all the time when people switch jobs. The question is, is it worth it to move to a new career and if you decide to stay what you can leverage with your existing company.

I agree and along with that having schools that have the same agenda, football and academics take a back seat. I don't like the fact that FSU or Clemson might leave but I do respect their right to do so.

I've read this a few times. What are the specifics?

What were the infractions and what was the exact punishment?

The ACC added an extra year of probation to Clemson also added no tv and a bowl ban.

Oh and Swofford "sustained" on the vote to add FSU which is basically a no vote.

I want to add that Clemson was cheating like heck and was not innocent by any means. Ironically, it was the SEC schools who put the first ca bosh on them...funny how times have changed.

I think the early 80's.

Clemson fans are upset that a punishment for UNC wasn't similar to the one they got ~30 years earlier?!

Oy.

Oh Lord

On the original topic ... Let me give you a different angle on this.

The statements from the Clemson people were not primarily aimed at the Big 12. They were solely for the consumption of the press, alumni and fans.

The thought process goes like this, "I like being a University President, a University official or a member of the BOT. This is a good gig. What I don't want to do is give anyone in the press or among the alumni and fans group any thing to criticize. that might endanger my position. So I am going to make a statement with which no one can argue or find fault. So I'm going to say, no one has contacted us and if somebody does we will analyze the offer presented and make the best decision for the school"

The statement can't be argued with and it contains almost zero information (except for the bit about not being contacted).

And you guys are analyzing it?

My assessment is that both FSU and Clemson would really, really have to hate the ACC to leave. Because the Big 12 just isn't that much better a deal, if it is better at all.

And I will guarantee you, if they do go ---- when the reality of Kansas and Kansas State and Texas and Oklahoma set in --- the same people that are bitching about the ACC are going to be whining about the Big 12.

It will do no good at that time to remind these people that they were the ones who so much wanted to change.

It'll be reminiscent of one of the greatest movie lines ever from "Animal House" when Flounder is complaining about the damage to his brother's car. He is told by one of the brothers, "Face it. You screwed up. You trusted us.".

Clemson fans are upset that a punishment for UNC wasn't similar to the one they got ~30 years earlier?!

Oy.

Oh Lord

Well it is a "It's not my fault if I do something wrong" era. I believe it was Johnny Majors (UT) who ratted them out because they outcheated him for some prospects.

Well it is a "It's not my fault if I do something wrong" era. I believe it was Johnny Majors (UT) who ratted them out because they outcheated him for some prospects.

My point is that people keep yapping about how the ACC is NC-favored. The difference in punishment 30 years apart between Clemson and UNC is not evidence of that.

My point is that people keep yapping about how the ACC is NC-favored. The difference in punishment 30 years apart between Clemson and UNC is not evidence of that.

Some can hold a 30 year grudge like it happened yesterday.

Oy.

Oh Lord

The War of Northern Aggression was 150 years ago...they are stilllllllll pissed off about that one. 30 years is nothing...

I think that might speak to how attractive Clemson is to other conferences. If Clemson was still upset at the ACC from something 30 years ago, yet still finds itself in the ACC, I think it means either 1) they aren't really that upset, or 2) they have no other options. Because you'd think by now, some other league would have a whiff of this and have asked them to join.

But the point people are making is not that they've been pissed for 30 years, but that they were pissed recently because the penalties UNC got didn't match what they got 30 years ago.

Now maybe they also carry a grudge going back 30 years, but they are distinctly different issues.

I mean the obvious equivalent would be SU fans being upset that UConn's hoops penalties don't match the one's we got in 1991. That probably does bother some people I guess, but would anyone claim THAT as the reason to leave a conference?!

Someone once told me that a good lawyer is not one that follows the rules and regulations but rather is one that finds a way around them that remains legal. It took me time to figure out what this meant but once I did--good things started to happen. So what does the above quote from the Chair of Clemson's BOT mean:
1. Clemson is fine in the ACC but it would listen to gather information
2. Clemson is actually posting a sign: please come talk to us--Big 12/SEC..anyone
3. Uconn and Rutgirls must be getting their applications ready for ACC
4. The quietness coming from the ACC as a whole is one based on "no problem we are all together" or is it "What, we need to figure out what is happening" and the Conference has no clue what to do
5. The ACC has this under control and waiting to unveil the plan as the final chapter to this novel that appears to be coming to a conclusion faster than we thought--after all 12/22/12 maybe the end of all we know is fast appoaching

Frankly, there seems to be a great divide between being informed and just out there waiting for either a shoe to fall or a new pair of Ballys to be worn. I admit this BS can definitely drive one crazy if you care and unfortunately most of us on this board care for 'Cuse.

Talk about speaking out of both sides of one's mouth:

"haven't been contacted by anybody";
"if were contacted" ... "would obviously listen";
"we would consider any viable option ... if we received any".
"we aren't seeking that and we aren't making any overtures"

Still trying to understand: don't schools have to contact conferences; that a conference contacting a school might be liable for inducing the breaking of a contract (example: Baylor threats against A&M)??

1) Is this is a legal way for Clemson to say: we want to have an offer?

2) We want to stay in the ACC at this time: but to appease the "hyper-fans", we will consider an offer, which is not going to happen since the school has to contact the conference?

3) Or more likely: it's all about FSU:

Clemson alone won't bring GT or Miami as partners; Clemson isn't going with UL alone. Best thing to do is just allow process to unfold.

If that were true, there would have been no expansion in 2004.

Exactly. UNC and Duke wanted nothing to do with expansion in 2004, but it happened. Swofford certainly didn't cater to them then. On the contrary, he catered to the FSU contingent. And to repay Swofford, they decided to suck.