What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU?

upstate has been mired in mismanagement and scandal for many years and does not have the better reputation based on med school rankings. i feel that perhaps management changes to be back under su maybe helpful. there are MANY fine medical schools in nys but most are private. suny buffalo has better rankings in research and primary care.
unfortunately, we have never grown the hard sciences and research. having sold the med school we apparently readjusted the mission and scope of syracuse university. we appear to be minor players in the realm of academic/scientific diversity as defined by programs, research, medicine or even a well respected law school.
many smaller schools have accomplished what we are talking about. someone mentioned the pittsburg model ---that was a excellent suggestion to pursue with the state of ny .
It is Pittsburgh. Sometime in 1950's, USA officially changed the spelling of many words, like changing centre to center, for example, City of Pittsburgh petitioned to keep spelling of Pittsburgh unchanged while all other places ending with urgh, changed to urg. Kansas has a city named Pittsburg. But Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania is still Pittsburgh.

It is Pittsburgh. Sometime in 1950's, USA officially changed the spelling of many words, like changing centre to center, for example, City of Pittsburgh petitioned to keep spelling of Pittsburgh unchanged while all other places ending with urgh, changed to urg. Kansas has a city named Pittsburg. But Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania is still Pittsburgh.
How did Plattsburgh escape the official execution of the "h" that befell so many other burgs?

And why does a country with no official language have an official spelling department? Finally, what does any of this have to do with Syracuse Orange football now that Opera Man is no longer writing about the gridiron whiz-bangs of our sleepy little one horse burg?

How did Plattsburgh escape the official execution of the "h" that befell so many other burgs?

And why does a country with no official language have an official spelling department? Finally, what does any of this have to do with Syracuse Orange football now that Opera Man is no longer writing about the gridiron whiz-bangs of our sleepy little one horse burg?
pittsburg landing ask grant/sherman

This is the 2022 world university ranking. Syracuse is in the ranking of the 351-400th. For comparison, Nebraska-Lincoln which got kicked out of AAU at the same time is ranked 451-500th.
If you examine the ranking carefully, the top 175 are almost exclusively for universities in US and UK. After the 175th, the mid tier US universities need to compete with a lot of countries. I think if Syracuse spend a little more, we can have less competition once we enter the top tier. We just need to spend on research like most B1G schools are doing. At least on the same level as Notre Dame(183) and Pittsburgh(140), both are in top 200.
Rutger is the 190th, Penn State is the 119th and Georgetown is 130th. When I went to SU in 1980's, Syracuse is considered slightly better than Pitt and Penn State and much better than Rutgers. Now we fell far behind. Whose fault is this?

Last edited:

The Geological Survey, one of the oldest uniformed services founded by Thomas Jefferson, has the Board of Geographic Names to keep everything straight on official maps.

SUNY already has a Med School at Buffalo and Downstate Medical Center, which I THINK is affiliated with Stony Brook. Both Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU members
Downstate is all SUNY, but no affiliation with Stony Brook to my knowledge. Stony Brook has their own north shore med center and Southampton Hospital/College. Downstate is a direct “sister” to Upstate and both are mired in scandal and mismanagement.

Last edited:
Pitt is getting a lot of research fund from the state of Pennsylvania. In 1966, Pitt established a relationship with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that continues to benefit both partners. Pitt became a hybrid between private institution and state-related university. Maybe Syracuse can reach a similar agreement with state of New York. According to U.S. News&World Report, Pitt is actually ranked higher than Penn State academically. And Pitt can keep AAU membership even the federal government cut research fund to universities.
Just to correct this, typically less than 2% of the ~$900 million in annual, externally-sponsored research funding received at Pitt comes from Pennsylvania or other local governments. Approximately 85% is federal grants and contracts, and 66% of the federal funding is from NIH (competitively peer reviewed and awarded)...so yes, the largest chunk is due to the med school and Pitt's other 5 schools of health sciences (pharmacy, dental, public health, rehab, nursing). Pitt is usually in the annual top 5 of all US institutions for medical/health science research funding and is 15th in total R&D expenditures of all types and all sources.

Pennsylvania appropriations provide less than 9% of Pitt's annual budget, which primarily goes to providing in-state tuition discounts (which the appropriation doesn't even fully cover). Pitt's board of trustees, and officers, and all assets, are still privately controlled despite its "state-related" status.

Last edited:
Just to correct this, typically less than 2% of the ~$900 million in annual, externally-sponsored research funding received at Pitt comes from Pennsylvania or other local governments. Approximately 85% is federal grants and contracts, and 66% of the federal funding is from NIH (competitively peer reviewed and awarded)...so yes, the largest chunk is due to the med school and Pitt's other 5 schools of health sciences (pharmacy, dental, public health, rehab, nursing). Pitt is usually in the annual top 5 of all US institutions for medical/health science research funding and is 15th in total R&D expenditures of all types and all sources.

Pennsylvania appropriations provide less than 9% of Pitt's annual budget, which primarily goes to providing in-state tuition discounts (which the appropriation doesn't even fully cover). Pitt's board of trustees, and officers, and all assets, are still privately controlled despite its "state-related" status.
NYC has the highest appropriations of NIH funding in the country. SU should look to a NYC hospital system for an affiliation, as I assume it would be far too costly and competitive to do alone. Cornell has done this in part through affiliation with NY Presbyterian Hospital. Both Weill Cornell Medical College and Columbia University Medical Center are tied to Presby NIH funds individual labs or scientists, not really the school. Grants are not typically more than $1million and I believe limited to $8 million. The school has to attract the scientists who will pursue and win grants. This is why NYC is so successful. Philadelphia, which is crushing the academic R&D market right now does this through PennMed (UPenn), and CHoP and to a much lesser extent TJU, and Temple. Drexel isn’t really doing the research as much as acting as the landlord for the private research industry. This is how MIT got the market started in Cambridge MA. They fostered private industry to improve job placement for grads and researchers at MIT that in turn boosts enrollment and selectivity. It took them about 50 years to really see it bear fruit. Prior to that, MIT research supported military research for the war effort (1940’s). MIT and the Bell Labs in NJ.

Today I learned...

Thanks
Today I learned that my alma mater has fallen nearly 200 places behind Rutgers in the world ranking. So proud to be an alum! Terrific. My son pointed out to me that 68% get in. What a joke. We are becoming worse than SMU as a “safety school”. Don’t like this. Neither does my dad - ‘62 grad. What the h$&@ happened to SU?

Today I learned that my alma mater has fallen nearly 200 places behind Rutgers in the world ranking. So proud to be an alum! Terrific. My son pointed out to me that 68% get in. What a joke. We are becoming worse than SMU as a “safety school”. Don’t like this. Neither does my dad - ‘62 grad. What the h$&@ happened to SU?

Admittance rate was 44% this year.

I think 2021 is an odd year. Because of Covid 19, many don't want to go to college and just stayed at home.
Would think the acceptance rate would jump up though not fall.

NYC has the highest appropriations of NIH funding in the country. SU should look to a NYC hospital system for an affiliation, as I assume it would be far too costly and competitive to do alone. Cornell has done this in part through affiliation with NY Presbyterian Hospital. Both Weill Cornell Medical College and Columbia University Medical Center are tied to Presby NIH funds individual labs or scientists, not really the school. Grants are not typically more than $1million and I believe limited to $8 million. The school has to attract the scientists who will pursue and win grants. This is why NYC is so successful. Philadelphia, which is crushing the academic R&D market right now does this through PennMed (UPenn), and CHoP and to a much lesser extent TJU, and Temple. Drexel isn’t really doing the research as much as acting as the landlord for the private research industry. This is how MIT got the market started in Cambridge MA. They fostered private industry to improve job placement for grads and researchers at MIT that in turn boosts enrollment and selectivity. It took them about 50 years to really see it bear fruit. Prior to that, MIT research supported military research for the war effort (1940’s). MIT and the Bell Labs in NJ.
It doesn't work like that. While research projects are applied for and awarded to investigators, the money is actually provided to the institutions to manage and they take indirects out of it (that is overhead for facility maintenance, etc that can be well over 50% of the award). In essence, the NIH essentially pays the institutions for their facility upkeep and part of their faculties' salaries to work on the projects that the NIH decides to fund...NIH doesn't pay researchers directly. Researchers buy supplies and hire lab staff through their institutional research offices that acts as custodian for extramural money. Note that according to NIH lists, Cornell Weil research $ does not count towards Cornell's NIH total because it is awarded to what is technically two separate entities. Geography has something to do with how the AAU looks at things. The University of Nebraska's Medical school in Omaha did not factor into its research profile when it got kicked out of the AAU.

Bottom line, there is no shortcut unless you plan to outright buy and fully integrated a major research institution, which isn't going to happen, and even then, it would likely need to be located fairly close to the Syracuse campus.

However, it also isn't true that the Big Ten requires members to have AAU membership. It is more like a nice-to-have box to check for their presidents. It isn't some deal breaker.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom