What is the better choice?????? | Syracusefan.com

What is the better choice??????

IDOC

Scout Team
A proven head coach, but not a knock out recruiter or a great recruiter with limited head coaching experience???
I think since it is in the end the players that actually win the games I would go with the "good recruiter"!!
And you?????

My guess is that between Chesney and Brown, Chesney would mean a rebuild as we would potentially see a mass exodus. But with Brown, more of our current players will probably stay, and Wildhack even said that we have some really good pieces already.

We're coming off back-to-back bowls years no need to blow it up.

Depends on so many things - I am a scheme/organization guy but obviously we need a talent influx. I think there are many examples of talent losing due to a bad scheme and a good scheme falling short due to bad talent.

This is a big swing and we needed it.

As was proven with the Mullen ordeal, I don't think Cuse can win the battle for a great coach. Saban, Swinney or Smart aren't walking through that door. As a result, I think we are better hiring a recruiter who can attract talent. And you surround the recruiter with a good supporting cast of coaches who are good at x's and o's. Furthermore, a great coach isn't coming here if we don't have or can't attract talent.

I wonder. Did Duke suddenly get a chit ton of high level recruits/players or was it excellent coaching, developing, coaching up, etc. the overall talent that he had? Texas A&M obviously thought the later and hired him in a heartbeat.

Additionally, any uptick in recruiting for SU is likely to be relatively small/marginal with anyone they have the ability/means to hire as their HC. Syracuse University hasn't really (even during our latest hey day of two plus decades ago) ever be able to get, let alone sustain, higher type level national recruiting classes, etc.

Therefore, every day of the week and twice on Sunday's, give me a coach that has all of those aforementioned attributes, etc. vs. not as much relative to his recruiting prowess. IMO, a coach like this can get us to that 7-4 type regular season on a more readily basis, especially in a average at best conference that is the ACC.

Ask this guy :):):)

1701198780568.jpeg

A proven head coach, but not a knock out recruiter or a great recruiter with limited head coaching experience???
I think since it is in the end the players that actually win the games I would go with the "good recruiter"!!
And you?????

Well went went with the former back in 2015.

Sooooo

I think fit is the sneaky factor.

I wouldn’t trust a HC from a different region to come here and succeed nor a good recruiter from a different region.

That should be step 1.

I think for short term success, the recruiter has the much higher ceiling. The longer the coach stays at SU, the more I think the X&O guy is preferable.

So a guy here 3-4 years, give me the recruiter as he will leave talent behind to work with. A guy here 6-8 years give me the X&O has he will have had more overall success and leave a strong foundation.

I think Dino wasn’t a fit and he was still unproven, as he was never at a place longer than 2 years.

Living in Minnesota and also following the Gophers program closely, I've seen a great recruiter with no head coaching or even coordinator experience whatsoever get the head coach job - Tim Brewster in 2007.

MN fans were very excited initially when recruiting improved greatly (a top 25 class in 2008) but when winning didn't happen, recruiting quickly went down to normal MN levels again. Brewster coached MN for 3 1/2 years and went 15-30 (6-21 in B1G). He is still made fun of in MN as a coaching disaster.

Give me a great coach with the known ability to coach up 2 and 3 star recruits into quality players. The Minnesota's and Syracuse's can't truly complete with the nations best teams for 4 & 5 star recruits especially in today's environment with NIL $ potentially taking your best players after a great season.

Didn’t Brown come out of nowhere? His name wasn’t even mentioned until Clark’s tweet yesterday morning. Have any of you considered the possibility that Brown was originally Mullen’s pick for DC?

In other words, we could have had both.

Living in Minnesota and also following the Gophers program closely, I've seen a great recruiter with no head coaching or even coordinator experience whatsoever get the head coach job - Tim Brewster in 2007.

MN fans were very excited initially when recruiting improved greatly (a top 25 class in 2008) but when winning didn't happen, recruiting quickly went down to normal MN levels again. Brewster coached MN for 3 1/2 years and went 15-30 (6-21 in B1G). He is still made fun of in MN as a coaching disaster.

Give me a great coach with the known ability to coach up 2 and 3 star recruits into quality players. The Minnesota's and Syracuse's can't truly complete with the nations best teams for 4 & 5 star recruits especially in today's environment with NIL $ potentially taking your best players after a great season.
Mike London at UVa had a similar outcome, and of course Miami always has all kind of high recruiting talent, but they haven't been big winners in decades.

What does this guy know about developing offensive lines?

Wildhack named Gary Gate the HC of mens lax. Maybe his name has helped get good recruits (a lot of them were already in the pipeline from Desko). But during games Gate doesn't do any coaching. He doesn't talk to other coaches or the players. It's like he's a sideline visitor, watching the coordinators try to run the team. Is this what we're going to get with Fran in FB?

Brown was not on the original list of coaches vetted by SU (Dan Mullen, Bob Chesney, Jason Candle, Charles Huff and Al Golden). That probably means the hiring process was not going very well - and SU likely had to reach down lower than their first 5 to find someone who would accept the job. Wildhack met Brown on Sunday in Atlanta, apparently after interviewing the other candidates.

I hope this works out. I'm out of patience waiting for someone within the SU FB program to get something right for once.

I wonder. Did Duke suddenly get a chit ton of high level recruits/players or was it excellent coaching, developing, coaching up, etc. the overall talent that he had? Texas A&M obviously thought the later and hired him in a heartbeat.

Additionally, any uptick in recruiting for SU is likely to be relatively small/marginal with anyone they have the ability/means to hire as their HC. Syracuse University hasn't really (even during our latest hey day of two plus decades ago) ever be able to get, let alone sustain, higher type level national recruiting classes, etc.

Therefore, every day of the week and twice on Sunday's, give me a coach that has all of those aforementioned attributes, etc. vs. not as much relative to his recruiting prowess. IMO, a coach like this can get us to that 7-4 type regular season on a more readily basis, especially in a average at best conference that is the ACC.
Absolutely.

We need excellent coaching and development.

Lets see who Brown brings with him. If he develops? We win more. If we win more, we recruit better.

Didn’t Brown come out of nowhere? His name wasn’t even mentioned until Clark’s tweet yesterday morning. Have any of you considered the possibility that Brown was originally Mullen’s pick for DC?

Mike McCallister mentioned Brown was under consideration first about 8 days ago.

Mike London at UVa had a similar outcome, and of course Miami always has all kind of high recruiting talent, but they haven't been big winners in decades.

What does this guy know about developing offensive lines?

Wildhack named Gary Gate the HC of mens lax. Maybe his name has helped get good recruits (a lot of them were already in the pipeline from Desko). But during games Gate doesn't do any coaching. He doesn't talk to other coaches or the players. It's like he's a sideline visitor, watching the coordinators try to run the team. Is this what we're going to get with Fran in FB?

Brown was not on the original list of coaches vetted by SU (Dan Mullen, Bob Chesney, Jason Candle, Charles Huff and Al Golden). That probably means the hiring process was not going very well - and SU likely had to reach down lower than their first 5 to find someone who would accept the job. Wildhack met Brown on Sunday in Atlanta, apparently after interviewing the other candidates.

I hope this works out. I'm out of patience waiting for someone within the SU FB program to get something right for once.
Mike McCallister mentioned Brown was under consideration about 8 days ago.

And you?????
A proven program building HC like Bronco, but it doesn't matter bc they picked Brown, so I am all behind him now.

Doubt it. Jimmy Sexton never would have been a party to that. It is more likely IMO that Sexton called Beaudine and said I've got your guy.
These guys scratch each other's backs and play the long game.
Just my guess.

Depends on so many things - I am a scheme/organization guy but obviously we need a talent influx. I think there are many examples of talent losing due to a bad scheme and a good scheme falling short due to bad talent.

This is a big swing and we needed it.
This is where I am. I'm surprised by the people that think it's an either/or thing.

I think it's a false choice / dichotomy. I don't view it as an either-or.

Hopefully, Brown will prove capable of being both a solid recruiter AND a solid X's and O's guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom