What is the single game & season record for assists? | Syracusefan.com

What is the single game & season record for assists?

Sherm was the alley oop master! He had Stephen Thompson DC Billy and DJ to throw it to. Wow, That roster would let a national championship Today And I'm shocked that they didn't at that time!

I think he has a good chance at the season record, I'm not as sure about the single game record. If we play 38 games this season like we did in 88-89 then MCW would have to average 8.6 assists per game to break the record. At the pace he is going now he will break the record in our 34th game of the season which is either the BE Championship if we make it or the first or second round of the tournament. In total he is on pace for 357 assists this season.

I think I might be the only one who thinks MCW has a better shot at breaking the single game record than the single season record. I could easily see him blowing up one game, more than I can see him sustaining the nine assists or whatever per game he'll need to break the record.

Hell, if he gets to 300 I'll be really freaking happy.

I think I might be the only one who thinks MCW has a better shot at breaking the single game record than the single season record. I could easily see him blowing up one game, more than I can see him sustaining the nine assists or whatever per game he'll need to break the record.

Hell, if he gets to 300 I'll be really freaking happy.

22 is an insane number. Of course, Mike's guys missed some rather easy ones .If Cooney had been even lukewarm and South had hit three more open looks, he'd have been knocking on 18 or 19.

22 is an insane number. Of course, Mike's guys missed some rather easy ones .If Cooney had been even lukewarm and South had hit three more open looks, he'd have been knocking on 18 or 19.
Exactly. All it'll take is a game in which we are on fire and go for 100+, which has certainly happened before. Only thing is that in that sort of situation we will likely be blowing someone out so MCW won't be on the court long enough to get much past 15 or 16.

MCW is putting up some impressive assist numbers. We have not seen these consistent per game assists since the days of GMac.

The record at SU for per game assists is held by Sherman Douglas. In January 1988 over the course of 7 games he made 80 assists, which equals 11.4 per game. He also holds the singe game record of 22 (1/28/89 against Providence), which is less than the entire team scored in the 6OT game in March 09.

By the way, the second most assists in a game is held by the Pearl with 18 made against St. John's 2/27/84.

Exactly. All it'll take is a game in which we are on fire and go for 100+, which has certainly happened before. Only thing is that in that sort of situation we will likely be blowing someone out so MCW won't be on the court long enough to get much past 15 or 16.

I think we might be in luck if that's the case - with so few guards (and unusually unsteady walk-ons), Mike and Brandon are going to get decent minutes in all games, even routs.

If you were to give South his 9 looks from Sunday every game, he'd probably never miss 5 of them again. Ditto for Cooney missing all 7 of his. Assume that Coleman stops putting the ball on the floor and getting fouled (stealing an assist). Mike could put up some silly numbers some night.

MCW is putting up some impressive assist numbers. We have not seen these consistent per game assists since the days of GMac...

Not since Sims has a Syracuse put together a three-game streak like this one. McNamara had ten assists in the first half against UConn in our semifinal upset in 2006 (13 for the game) but rarely had big assist numbers.

Dan, Sherm's high is probably out of the question, but Syracuse's sophomore record is 289 for the season (Sherm again). If Mike stays healthy and our offense is productive, one has to think that is a possibility, if a bit of a reach. He'd need about 8 per game if we play fewer than 37 games (our total last season).

I think MCW can get to 22 assist if a team tries to run against us. So the game would have to be played in the 90s or at that pace. Providence is a team like that.

Negative. I do think he hits 10 a few more times though.

I wonder how many of Sherm's assists were on jump shots. These days you swing the ball around the arc and if the guy hits a 3 you get an assist. Not saying the rules have changed, but that it's easier to get an assist in today's perimeter oriented game.

Not since Sims has a Syracuse put together a three-game streak like this one. McNamara had ten assists in the first half against UConn in our semifinal upset in 2006 (13 for the game) but rarely had big assist numbers.

Sorry - not quite correct. I don't just express opinion, I monitor these kind of stats and have them going right back to when they were first recorded (1983).

At the end of December 2005, GMac put together a five game string where he averaged 9 assists per game. On several occasions Sims put up 12 Assists in one night, but never had a multiple game string that approached double digits.

I think I might be the only one who thinks MCW has a better shot at breaking the single game record than the single season record.
I'm with you on that . . . in a game where Dirty is particularly hot, the pick and pop alone could get him around 1/3 of the way there, maybe more if James challenges or breaks the single game three point record (which is 9, I believe)

Sherm had finishers on that team and that is why he was so successful.

I dont see him breaking either record.

I know the Syracuse single game record is 22 from Sherm. What is the NCAA record for a game?

I know the Syracuse single game record is 22 from Sherm. What is the NCAA record for a game?

I believe Avery Johnson also tied Sherm. I think there is one more as well. Tim, Tom Fairley? Something like that? All with 22.

Avery Johnson did have 22 assists, as did Fairley.

Avery Johnson, I have just read, only played two seasons of D1 ball but had four - FOUR - games in which he had 20+ assists, including three times in less than a month in 1988. Wow.

Sherm was the alley oop master! He had Stephen Thompson DC Billy and DJ to throw it to. Wow, That roster would let a national championship Today And I'm shocked that they didn't at that time!
Don't forget Rony Seikely!

I wonder how many of Sherm's assists were on jump shots. These days you swing the ball around the arc and if the guy hits a 3 you get an assist. Not saying the rules have changed, but that it's easier to get an assist in today's perimeter oriented game.

No, you're right, the rules have changed (or at least the interpretation has changed). Sherm's record is all the more impressive because you needed to practically give your teammate the basket in order to be credited with an assist in 1989. Scorers are much more liberal with the definition of assist these days.

Sorry - not quite correct. I don't just express opinion, I monitor these kind of stats and have them going right back to when they were first recorded (1983).

At the end of December 2005, GMac put together a five game string where he averaged 9 assists per game. On several occasions Sims put up 12 Assists in one night, but never had a multiple game string that approached double digits.

Hmm, how about that. Learn something new every day.

McNamara got his first chance to play point for a full season in his final year, and I know his average jumped by a full assist per game (just below 6). That's a pretty nice stretch of games for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom