What is there to look forward to? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is there to look forward to?

Recruiting has been bad and is the biggest stumbling block since the indecision regarding JB leaving and Hop taking over. Recruits had to feel uncomfortable not knowing who they were going to be playing for.

I don't think the coaching is a huge problem as we continue to see improvement from the players we have. I'm not sure what posters mean when they say the game has passed JB by. He has as much desire to win as ever and his in game coaching is still good.
But if you don't have the better quality player to begin with, you can only improve to certain level.

The guys are giving us good effort but there is too much inexperience on the bench to maximize what we have.

Change will come but how and when it will happen is anyone's guess.
I think he’s an ok coach now, who is stubborn to a fault.

He doesn’t have the players, due to his recruiting failures, to run the Syracuse Zone of a few years ago. He won’t change, alter, adapt to that fact.

I remember ESPN doing a feature on the zone before the tournament when we had Southerland and co., it was insane to watch the length and athleticism.

Now we have zero inside deterrence, a skinny chain smoker at PF and in the age of Steph Curry, every kid grows up bombing threes, and we have token defense on the perimeter with zero athleticism to close on shooters. If they miss, no worries, you’ll get a second chance because we only have two ACC level athletes on the team and we don’t teach, or prioritize, rebounding skills/toughness anyway...nevermind, again, it’s tough to rebound out of a zone.

I think he’s an ok coach now, who is stubborn to a fault.

He doesn’t have the players, due to his recruiting failures, to run the Syracuse Zone of a few years ago. He won’t change, alter, adapt to that fact.

I remember ESPN doing a feature on the zone before the tournament when we had Southerland and co., it was insane to watch the length and athleticism.

Now we have zero inside deterrence, a skinny chain smoker at PF and in the age of Steph Curry, every kid grows up bombing threes, and we have token defense on the perimeter with zero athleticism to close on shooters. If they miss, no worries, you’ll get a second chance because we only have two ACC level athletes on the team and we don’t teach, or prioritize, rebounding skills/toughness anyway...nevermind, again, it’s tough to rebound out of a zone.
I really wish somebody would call into JB’s show and literally read this post to him and get a true response.

What do we have to look forward to? The next game. Negative farking spoiled Nancies. Syracuse will be fine. The program will be fine. We'll get better this year and put together some wins we have no right winning. People need to calm the F down.

Warmest regards,
Ragman
I sure hope we win a couple of games we have no business winning because every one of our remaining games falls in that category. If we get 6 wins in the ACC, I'll be surprised. And I'm usually very optimistic.

Look, I love JB, and I'm highly appreciative of his incalculable contributions over the years. I think he is a top 10 all time great in college basketball. He's been the coach for my entire life, and it is difficult in that respect to envision what comes next.

But I can acknowledge BOTH his unparalleled past success / accomplishments AND the fact that the program has slipped into a sustained period of mediocrity. We are no longer an elite program -- the status quo has become the new normal -- and it won't change until there IS change.

When JB hangs 'em up, I will applaud him for his success, revel in all of his accomplishments, and salute him for the years of joy he's brought me as an SU fan. But I'll also look forward to the future and a new beginning.

It's beyond time.

All the hypotheticals are interesting but when it comes down to a new choice to lead this program who do you think we're going to get? I'll bet there are going to be a lot of answers. Zach Arnett, it was just announced, is our new DC from SDSU. But he's and assistant. Like him on the BB side, there are many young coaches who will jump at this opportunity. Who, and this includes Hop, is going to be willing to give up and I am assuming this new coach has proven himself already and has an established winning program will be willing to begin again here? Who is going to want to arrive in Syracuse and take on what I think is a very challenging situation and will they want to?

This is not going to be easy. What will JW do, meet with the board of trustees and arrive at a solution that everyone is comfortable with and move forward with recruitment or promote from within? It will be an emotional time for everyone, like or hate JB. Of course a lot of money for the new coach will always be an enticement. But money doesn't always ensure success.

People on this board say “we have to clean house entirely”. That means Griffin, Autry and McNamara are gone. No one connected to the program ever would be here. Seems like a very strange situation especially if the new Head Coach and staff can't achieve almost immediately a winning program going to the NCAA's in his first or second year.

I think Jim has earned the right to leave when he wants to. He is a personal friend with 44 years of amazing players and a basketball resume that is amazing. Go to Google and type in Jim Boeheim bio and look at his record. He is, IMHO, one of the top three coaches to ever head a program. Great, good for him – like RF2044 he is the only coach I have known as well!

But we are soon facing the reality of his departure and the hiring of a new coach. And it goes back to the question in the first sentence above – who do you think we're going to get? We have to do this. Move forward with the best coach available in our opinion. Somehow IMO I think JB is going to be involved going forward with the program. It's what keeps him alive and vital. I don't know what his position would be but I hope the university gives him a position that will benefit the program. :) GOSU!

With this program?

I am beginning to think this will be JB's last year. The University is going to make a change. I love JB and what he's done. But we need someone who can recruit. Maybe Buzz Williams, Sean Miller, or someone like Mark Turgeon. Getting someone like Turgeon then maybe we would start getting some of those great Baltimore players again.

People on this board say “we have to clean house entirely”. That means Griffin, Autry and McNamara are gone. No one connected to the program ever would be here. Seems like a very strange situation especially if the new Head Coach and staff can't achieve almost immediately a winning program going to the NCAA's in his first or second year.

I doubt the next coach will play 2-3 zone as the primary defense. The next head coach will bring his own system for offense and defense based on years of experience. I think what we need is someone who is really good at recruiting or who will bring some assistants who are really good at recruiting.
Hopkins must have been doing a much better job at recruiting than we knew. Look what he's done with his Huskies. You don't know how good you have it until you don't.

"I think Jim has earned the right to leave when he wants to."

I'll never understand this sentiment.

I think the University board will make a decision and will ignore this sentiment.

I think the University board will make a decision and will ignore this sentiment.
Wildhack is JB’s boss.
The University leadership won’t interfere in this one.

JB is coaching as long as he wants unless Wildhack pushes the envelope.

This is no different than what happened to Bobby Bowden.

Each time i watch Jim coach this year it reminds me of going to a concert to see someone like Paul Simon or The Stones. You appreciate the fact that the still have the energy to get out there but after a few songs it starts to feel strange as you remember seeing them at their prime and the reality of their decline and to a degree your own sets in.
Jim needs to retire.
Jim looked like he did a pretty good job of coaching today

I’ll be honest, and this isn’t an angry post or threatening post, it’s just an acknowledgement...

Ive given up on this program until we make a change.

I tried. I went to the GT game in Atlanta. Watched some games. Forced myself to care as long as I could.

I just don’t.

This isn’t Syracuse Basketball.

I’ll still check in here and look up the scores, but I’m in my mid-30’s, and for the first time in my entire life, I don’t care about Syracuse Basketball.
You missed a great one today.

I hope all of you negative nancy little girls are crying your eyes out in your Shirley Temple's tonight while I pour and celebrate with good bourbon. This team is not as bad as its record indicates and is still learning and growing. We have the potential and talent to be a very good team. No matter if that ends up happening this year or next, get off the ledge and S TF U.

Warmest regards,
Ragman

I hope all of you negative nancy little girls are crying your eyes out in your Shirley Temple's tonight while I pour and celebrate with good bourbon. This team is not as bad as its record indicates and is still learning and growing. We have the potential and talent to be a very good team. No matter if that ends up happening this year or next, get off the ledge and S TF U.

Warmest regards,
Ragman

16-15 at best.

But that was a nice win.

I’ll be honest, and this isn’t an angry post or threatening post, it’s just an acknowledgement...

Ive given up on this program until we make a change.

I tried. I went to the GT game in Atlanta. Watched some games. Forced myself to care as long as I could.

I just don’t.

This isn’t Syracuse Basketball.

I’ll still check in here and look up the scores, but I’m in my mid-30’s, and for the first time in my entire life, I don’t care about Syracuse Basketball.

I’m in my mid 60’s and I’ve always cared about Syracuse basketball. Through thick and thin. You kids are front runners.

Warmest regards,
Ragman

Great win today. Just nice winning period.

But im sorry..think the bolded is not true. Next year? Who knows. Tons of stuff to happen before we get there.

You missed a great one today.
Great to get that win. The game itself was really horrible though. OT it was nice seeing some shots go in the basket but regulation was horrendous stuff most of the time. This is purely from a basketball standpoint.

Warmest regards,
Ragman

lol, even though I'm currently on the wagon, I do tend to enjoy posts that promote imbibing. Even though this one was a bit mean for my tastes, I also appreciate the added decoration you gave SU in the close. Some would consider that epic.

As a guy who appreciates the posts of folks on either extreme as well as some in the middle, this was one of the better ones of the day to me, if I ignore a bit of the meanness. The closing was Marsh-level creativity.

(though I prefer David Lee Roth's explanation of how he wrote the song "Jump" for Van Halen, where some guy was on top of a hotel in LA with news crews broadcasting it live and most of the folks telling him not to jump, and DLR's reaction of going against the grain and saying "Might as well Jump!" to the tv. If one believes this explanation, it's funny how such an uplifting song had such a gloomy event for inspiration). ;)

Last edited:
So..as to someone who knows JB personally, from his hometown and father golfs with him pretty regularly at Wayne Hills when he comes back to town...
JB is a stubborn as a goat (I think we all know this?). He isnt going to just hand off the reigns without a fight or a “force” and that wont be public AT all unless JB says it publicly.
JB got his dream to coach A son in college and he isnt going to give that up.
I want him to step away but I just don’t envision it. Julie isn’t breathing down his neck to retire either so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom