What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine?

Yeah, that and wasn’t there an inbound play where Benny had the ball for most of the possession before he passed to someone too late for a chuck at the hoop as the clock had run down? That huddle should have included a reminder about the clock. Our staff… does not inspire confidence in any aspect.
There were 3 seconds on the shot clock. I was wondering what we’d do.

We passed it to Benny who had no clue, and then passed it to someone else(Mintz?) who had to heave it.

Did they….not discuss at all what they would do out of the timeout with 3 seconds? Was Benny standing outside the huddle not paying attention again(last time he did that would be the LAST time he did that if it was up to me), or did he just forget over the course of the 18 minute TV timeout?

There were 3 seconds on the shot clock. I was wondering what we’d do.

We passed it to Benny who had no clue, and then passed it to someone else(Mintz?) who had to heave it.

Did they….not discuss at all what they would do out of the timeout with 3 seconds? Was Benny standing outside the huddle not paying attention again(last time he did that would be the LAST time he did that if it was up to me), or did he just forget over the course of the 18 minute TV timeout?

I think there’s a 0.0 chance the staff did not tell the players there were 3 seconds on the shot clock. Benny had a brain fart.

I think there’s a 0.0 chance the staff did not tell the players there were 3 seconds on the shot clock. Benny had a brain fart.
Agreed. The next time he stands outside the huddle putting on a show about how mad he is, someone on the team who cares about him should remind him that he didn’t know there were 3 seconds on the shot clock in the biggest game of the season and that he should stop being an AH and pay attention.

Mintz has struggled for the most part during crunch time of big games. That said, he played well during crunch time against ND and looked like he was turning the corner against UNC until that last play.

How is he supposed to improve in those situations other than being in those situations? Is he going to figure it out while sitting on the bench? Is it possible that taking him off the court when it matters most will damage his psyche?

I find it interesting that many of the people who claim that playing in games is the best/only way to improve are now pushing for Mintz to be removed from clear learning opportunities. Whether it’s this season or next, we’re going to need Mintz to become a clutch performer. These growing pains might just help him get better.

Mintz has struggled for the most part during crunch time of big games. That said, he played well during crunch time against ND and looked like he was turning the corner against UNC until that last play.

How is he supposed to improve in those situations other than being in those situations? Is he going to figure it out while sitting on the bench? Is it possible that taking him off the court when it matters most will damage his psyche?

I find it interesting that many of the people who claim that playing in games is the best/only way to improve are now pushing for Mintz to be removed from clear learning opportunities. Whether it’s this season or next, we’re going to need Mintz to become a clutch performer. These growing pains might just help him get better.

I don’t think he should be taken out(maybe against Miami because he stunk that whole game, but not normally), but we can’t just go ISO Judah when the chips are down against good team.

The play to Joe to give us the lead was a thing of beauty. Next possession was ISO Judah.

Last possesion was a little different as he got the ball while double teamed and pressed and went to the hole when he had space.

Side note - it definitely shouldn’t be taken for granted that we’ve got a guy who UNC was double teaming and he still managed to get open without a screen and get the ball and bring it up.

How? They literally must have told him two seconds Prior. Which means that Benny is either unable to follow instruction OR he just wasn’t paying attention during the break.

Love this false choice that it’s either let mintz play like a drunken sailor OR pull him for symir. It’s everything that’s wrong with how analysis is done.

Moreover, if as a coach, you see it as limited to these two choices as well, then you aren’t a coach.

What’s the Mintz sample size here in super tight games with that ball, down 1? Two maybe?

My god. He was the reason we were that close in the second half to begin with. Girard was pretty cold in the second half (2/7, 4TOs). Mintz was having a lot of success getting to the rim.

They were probably hoping for the hoop or a foul on UNC. Sometimes a fish is just a fish.

With another viewing, there are a couple of problems with the last play besides the offensive foul.

Mintz probably took it to the hoop quickly because he saw and felt the path and went for what (he thought) was there. That might have been ok if he'd scored. Take the lead and then defend for 9 or 10 seconds.

But not against this UNC team in this situation. UNC would have had all that time to get the ball up to Bacot to work on Hima. Not a good end of game situation for the Orange to defend.

Second...on that last play everyone else was just standing around guarded until Benny's man (I believe) came off to try to double Mintz. That suggests there was no play called besides Mintz going to the hoop. And he had no safety valve to dish to if he so chose.

What’s the Mintz sample size here in super tight games with that ball, down 1? Two maybe?

My god. He was the reason we were that close in the second half to begin with. Girard was pretty cold in the second half (2/7, 4TOs). Mintz was having a lot of success getting to the rim.

They were probably hoping for the hoop or a foul on UNC. Sometimes a fish is just a fish.
Exactly. And in that late game situation it's a luxury to have a player who can penetrate at will and draw contact and fouls at a high rate like him. Without question the first option was for Mintz to get to the basket and hope for a bucket and/or a foul. He has one of the highest rates of drawn fouls in the ACC and converts them at a solid clip. He is exactly the player you want to have the ball in those situations.

Yep. As well as Girard has played since that early season slump, he made a huge mistake trying to save the ball the other night. And he made huge mistakes in crunch time against UNC last year. (He also hit big shots in both games, I know.) I understand people want to say he was the answer. What would they be saying if the ball was in his hands and he dribbled it off his foot and let it go out of bounds?

Part is the sample is watching his whole output.

I don't think he's especially calm and in control in less stressful situations which are far more abundant

He's not some calm floor general

You’re going to have quite a time getting to a significant sample size when you’re talking about last possession win or lose situations. They just don’t come up enough to ever be statistically significant. That doesn’t mean you don’t interpret the data you have.

Exactly. And in that late game situation it's a luxury to have a player who can penetrate at will and draw contact and fouls at a high rate like him. Without question the first option was for Mintz to get to the basket and hope for a bucket and/or a foul. He has one of the highest rates of drawn fouls in the ACC and converts them at a solid clip. He is exactly the player you want to have the ball in those situations.
No reason to hope for a foul with those zebras.

skip practice. Mintz needs to spend 8 hours locked in the film room watching sherman douglas tapes.

Last edited:

He's crashed the plane multiple times dude. Waiting for him to learn has cost us March. Season is over because he's been given multiple late-game chances against the better teams in the league and has failed each time. I mean i don't know how else to say it. While you see benefit in him learning, he's doing said learning while crashing our tourney hopes. It's like telling a student pilot to learn to fly on a live 747 with 300 passengers instead of on a flight simulator. There should be no issue with putting him at half court and having Symir and Joe bring the ball up court if it's so important to not hurt Mintz's feelings by taking him out of the game at the very end in very tight finishes.

Last edited:
Yes, fair point -- for this one game. Symir had a good game.
Symir does not do a lot on his own, but he might set up others, or defer to Girard -- where Mintz tries to make thing happen on his own. Some of that +/- comes from the final two minutes - a questionable charge call that took away an and-one situation and the second charge call where Mintz had to make something happen in short order and he almost did.
For the season, Mintz is right there with Edwards & Girard as our best player. ACC frosh of the week 3 times. So maybe this is part of the equation?
What dis Mintz do on his own against UNC? He's the point guard out there for 31 minutes and proceeded to miss 11 of 18 shots, commit 4 turnovers, secure only 2 assists (2! while Symir had 3 in only 13 minutes), 5 fouls, and was unable to get a game winning shot off again while committing a charge (bad call or not) that ended the game. It's amazing to me how no matter what Mintz does he gets a pass from a certain segment of fans, but most importantly our clueless coach.

What dis Mintz do on his own against UNC? He's the point guard out there for 31 minutes and proceeded to miss 11 of 18 shots, commit 4 turnovers, secure only 2 assists (2! while Symir had 3 in only 13 minutes), 5 fouls, and was unable to get a game winning shot off again while committing a charge (bad call or not) that ended the game. It's amazing to me how no matter what Mintz does he gets a pass from a certain segment of fans, but most importantly our clueless coach.
I don’t think Mintz gets a pass from a critique of his play. He also gets accolades from fans and observers as one of the most dynamic freshman in the league. Yes, he has failed in two games we might have won. Our “clueless coach” might know basketball - 2nd in all-time wins plus 100 or so losses inflicted. Has turned this talent-limited team into a team that competes. But carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom