What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong w ppl saying Mintz is completely fine?

He's crashed the plane multiple times dude. Waiting for him to learn has cost us March. Season is over because he's been given multiple late-game chances against the better teams in the league and has failed each time. I mean i don't know how else to say it. While you see benefit in him learning, he's doing said learning while crashing our tourney hopes. It's like telling a student pilot to learn to fly on a live 747 with 300 passengers instead of on a flight simulator. There should be no issue with putting him at half court and having Symir and Joe bring the ball up court if it's so important to not hurt Mintz's feelings by taking him out of the game at the very end in very tight finishes.
No, it’s not like that at all. This isn’t life or death…dude. It’s just a basketball game.

In two angry posts, you’ve offered very little in the way of an alternative. It sounds like you would prefer to have Torrence in Mintz’s place. So what’s the play? Who else is on the floor?

He's crashed the plane multiple times dude. Waiting for him to learn has cost us March. Season is over because he's been given multiple late-game chances against the better teams in the league and has failed each time. I mean i don't know how else to say it. While you see benefit in him learning, he's doing said learning while crashing our tourney hopes. It's like telling a student pilot to learn to fly on a live 747 with 300 passengers instead of on a flight simulator. There should be no issue with putting him at half court and having Symir and Joe bring the ball up court if it's so important to not hurt Mintz's feelings by taking him out of the game at the very end in very tight finishes.
Mintz hasn't cost us March.

With this team and schedule, March was always going to be about a miracle run in the ACC tourney.

I'm listening to these ppl on ESPN radio, Steve Infanti who is a good guy, and clueless SU and Boeheim cheerleader Pauly on the SU payroll. These guys, despite witnessing what Mintz has done in multiple backbreaking-loss games, seem to think that no adjustment is needed where Mintz is concerned at the end of these crucial games that will decide our fate in March. Nope, all these airballs/misses, charges, fouls, turnovers etc etc to seal our losses to the likes of St John's, Pitt, Miami, UNC etc are AOK in their book. One of the callers pointed out that Symir +/- was +9 last night (best in game) and Mintz was -5 (worst!), and for the rest of the show Pauly was using sarcasm to poke fun at that stat because I guess that kind of reaction is all you can do when you're immature and wrong.

Someone help me. What am I missing here? Are we all blind to what Mintz has done at the end of these games? Is it because he's the sexy top 35 recruit and gets a pass on everything? Can you imagine what JG3 would be dealing with if he had this Mintz-end-of-game track record this season? He'd have to go into the witness protection program!
Mintz is very talented. Just because he took the risk and it did not work out, you can't blame him for trying. Sometimes he is just unlucky. Ball bounce the way against him or the defense gets lucky.

What dis Mintz do on his own against UNC? He's the point guard out there for 31 minutes and proceeded to miss 11 of 18 shots, commit 4 turnovers, secure only 2 assists (2! while Symir had 3 in only 13 minutes), 5 fouls, and was unable to get a game winning shot off again while committing a charge (bad call or not) that ended the game. It's amazing to me how no matter what Mintz does he gets a pass from a certain segment of fans, but most importantly our clueless coach.
Unfortunately our offense requires guys to make high degree of difficulty plays. He was able to penetrate and make some tough shots.

Yes he missed a lot of shots….if he didn’t, somebody else would’ve.

To be fair our ooc was very weak and the ACC may be the worst of the 6 conferences, our schedule is probably the easiest we’ve had in who knows how long.
That's kind of what I mean.

The only way to make the tournament with this schedule would have been to pretty closely run the table.

That wasn't going to happen.

That's kind of what I mean.

The only way to make the tournament with this schedule would have been to pretty closely run the table.

That wasn't going to happen.
Don’t lose to the scrubs and win 2-4 quad 1 and 2 games shouldn’t be difficult though.

Don’t lose to the scrubs and win 2-4 quad 1 and 2 games shouldn’t be difficult though.
Larry David Reaction GIF

Unfortunately our offense requires guys to make high degree of difficulty plays. He was able to penetrate and make some tough shots.

Yes he missed a lot of shots….if he didn’t, somebody else would’ve.
And how many of his missed shots would have resulted in free throws against a common opponent? Two of his turnovers were the result of questionable offensive foul calls, which of course led to him fouling out.

I also noticed the OP omitted the number of turnovers committed by Girard, none of which came from offensive fouls IIRC. Girard being one of the players who should have brought the ball up instead of Mintz, according to the OP.

And how many of his missed shots would have resulted in free throws against a common opponent? Two of his turnovers were the result of questionable offensive foul calls, which of course led to him fouling out.

I also noticed the OP omitted the number of turnovers committed by Girard, none of which came from offensive fouls IIRC. Girard being one of the players who should have brought the ball up instead of Mintz, according to the OP.
Yup. Mintz had a hoop taken away and a turnover added to his total by that horrible charge call with 5 minutes to go.

And yeah, he definitely got hit on the jumper he made with about 6 minutes to go.

Lots of contact on lots of his drives.

Should also be noted that he was an absolute menace defensively. How many offensive fouls were committed by UNC on Mintz? 2 or 3? How many deflections did he have? How many passes did he prevent from being seen or made by pressuring the ball?

Without his defense, we’re probably not even in the game.

Also, he was being double teamed while we were inbounding the ball against their press and he was able to get open by himself with no screen against 2 defenders and bring the ball up with no problem. Girard wouldn’t have even gotten the ball in that scenario, and if he did…we wouldn’t have gotten the ball over half court.

No, it’s not like that at all. This isn’t life or death…dude. It’s just a basketball game.

In two angry posts, you’ve offered very little in the way of an alternative. It sounds like you would prefer to have Torrence in Mintz’s place. So what’s the play? Who else is on the floor?
The point of my post is not to say we throw less of Mintz out there. We ride or die w him as he has a high ceiling. What I'm responding to are some peeps in here who think his stat sheet is only defined by his pts. Do we ignore everything else? And what about his end-of-game blunders? I love the kid and the fact that he's our plaer, I just don't think his spazzy way of handling last possessions is working for us, do you?

It's an analogy lmao, if you can't level the comparison and understand it on a functional level then go ahead and think I meant Mintz should not get a job at Delta as a pilot holy moly.

Nice to have a PG that can drive and break down a defense again. Been a while.
I appreciate Judah's willingness to attack the D -hope he keeps that mentality.
JB's 3 ex-PG assistant coaches should be able to help Judah address the bad TO's.
Won't be a resume-builder for them if no improvement in Judah's play.

Keep giving Judah the ball. Coach him up with goal of solid play by the ACCT -then win it.
Don't think this team ends the regular season with an NCAAT-qualifying record.
Therefore I'd focus on developing the young players while hoping for some W's along the way.
Then win the ACCT!

The point of my post is not to say we throw less of Mintz out there. We ride or die w him as he has a high ceiling. What I'm responding to are some peeps in here who think his stat sheet is only defined by his pts. Do we ignore everything else? And what about his end-of-game blunders? I love the kid and the fact that he's our plaer, I just don't think his spazzy way of handling last possessions is working for us, do you?
If you don’t want him to have the ball during crunch time, that’s literally saying we throw less of Mintz out there.

I’ll ask again, what’s your alternative? Who is on the floor and what’s the play?

It's an analogy lmao, if you can't level the comparison and understand it on a functional level then go ahead and think I meant Mintz should not get a job at Delta as a pilot holy moly.
It wasn’t a good analogy.

Nice to have a PG that can drive and break down a defense again. Been a while.
I appreciate Judah's willingness to attack the D -hope he keeps that mentality.
JB's 3 ex-PG assistant coaches should be able to help Judah address the bad TO's.
Won't be a resume-builder for them if no improvement in Judah's play.

Keep giving Judah the ball. Coach him up with goal of solid play by the ACCT -then win it.
Don't think this team ends the regular season with an NCAAT-qualifying record.
Therefore I'd focus on developing the young players while hoping for some W's along the way.
Then win the ACCT!
Want to see a solid run in the ACCT. If we fall short, go on another solid run in the NIT and carry the momentum into next year.

There are a lot of good pieces here. Mintz is improving. Bell is improving. I think JB is on the verge of benching Williams for Brown. If Girard doesn’t come back, Taylor can take his place. If Edwards doesn’t come back, I’m sure we’ll pound the portal for someone to back up - if not start ahead of - Hima. Copeland can be a Swiss Army knife sixth man.

It’s all about next year. Whatever happens this season is a bonus. I know Cuse fans aren’t used to rebuilding. That’s where we’re at, though.

If you don’t want him to have the ball during crunch time, that’s literally saying we throw less of Mintz out there.

I’ll ask again, what’s your alternative? Who is on the floor and what’s the play?
Not wanting him to have the ball for 20 seconds is "less of him" to a catastrophic extreme, got it.

Mintz is very talented. Just because he took the risk and it did not work out, you can't blame him for trying. Sometimes he is just unlucky. Ball bounce the way against him or the defense gets lucky.
He has alot of unlucky giveups...bad shots. Turnovers. Bad passes...he won't be here long anyway. Ball hog...would rather have Torrence...if Torrence was in for Miami and NC we win both games and we come into this game with huge confidence Period

The alternative is Symir Torrence. Symir plays hard and seems well liked. I’d have a beer with Symir. His talent level is not close to Judah’s.
We win with torrence in at the end of both Miami and NC period

Agree with your assessment that he is a ball hog. Talented yes, team player resounding no. Hurts the team since we have settled for him doing his individual thing. Time to be honest.

VT had 17 fouls, and though I could only watch sporadically it appeared Judah drew most of them.
He's learning and has too many TO's, but Judah gets after it on both ends of the floor.
I don't miss pass the ball around perimeter/iso then jack a late shot clock 3 offense.
I like PG's that attack, and I'll ride with the TO's while hoping Judah improves w/experience.

Agree with your assessment that he is a ball hog. Talented yes, team player resounding no. Hurts the team since we have settled for him doing his individual thing. Time to be honest.
Totaly agree

Mentioned this in another thread. Mintz is undoubtedly talented, but in my estimation he is not a winning basketball player.

Mintz & Williams are talented individuals and have physical attributes we need. The problem is they aren’t winning players. And in Williams’ case, he isn’t a very good player.

Both could become better, especially if Mintz figures out he doesn’t need to go 1-on-5 all the time. But for now, we are what we are and we won’t win much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom