What is wrong with People | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is wrong with People

NineOneSeven said:
Again... For some reason we tend to associate people on this board with the other 40,000 people we want in the stands. All of us post here because we either love syracuse sports or have some association with the university, and also are knowledgable about the game to a degree. MOST other fans don't sit back and go you know what, this Tampa 2 defense isn't working but wow this fast offense filled with effective bubble screens, slants, and qb options has potential. They see us down 21-0 in 4 minutes.

It's the wrong mindset. Correct mindset: there's a lot of time left and we've got an offensive guru as our HC. You don't need to know the intricacies of anything - just have some damn faith.

But 21-0 on 5 plays in 3.5 minutes means they should just hang in there?

Yeah. Leaving a game after 5 minutes is pretty extreme. So yeah, I'd say hang in there. You're there. Settle in. Maybe they come back and make it interesting(they did).

The score is 42-28...cool to leave because the first 5 minutes really sucked? I don't get it. When it's garbage time and 55-28 and the teams are playing out the string, that's different. I feel like it's pretty obvious to anyone that actually watches sports when it's actually garbage time. Lots of Cuse fans consistently jump the gun. Again, hoops too.

YOU DONT LEAVE if you can feasibly win the game. They are wrong and probably the same people who tried to leave down 4 vs UNC in basketball with 3 min left.
"feasibly win the game" just stop it. for the love of god, retract your horrible basketball comparison.

orangehomer said:
we got our asses whipped. people leave early for a variety of reasons. first of all being that WE GOT ASS WHIPPED.

I have no problem with ppl who left with the game being a 3 score game. If you left prior to that?!? WEAK AS SHIITE.

honestly. This was a 14 point game in the fourth quarter and people left the dome ? It's pretty sad when fans are going to walk out when the margin is that freakin close.

Embarrassing. That is all. Hope they never come back.

(Btw it was only 14 points against #13 and we aren't even playing good football... Positive IMO)
Out of curiousity, were you there?

Just curious, and really I'm not trying to stir up any more animosity than what's already here, but...of the people upset that fans left early, how many of you were at the game?

TheCusian said:
Sure. But had we a 4th like the 2nd and 3rd and we'd be right there. It's a different mindset. It's going to take a 28pt 4thQ to train people not to leave.

But we didn't. What is going to keep people engaged is to have those quarters you speak of when those that left stopped watching. They will not continue to stay/watch on what is possible. Only on what has been shown to not be improbable.

orangehomer said:
"feasibly win the game" just stop it. for the love of god, retract your horrible basketball comparison.

21-0 with 5 min gone?!??? You should get your tickets to all future games revoked. Too much can happen. We were within 14 to start the 4th with a Babers offense?!????!???? Pay attention.

(I glared at 12-15 people from my section who left the basketball game. It's insane.

Cootface said:
But we didn't. What is going to keep people engaged is to have those quarters you speak of when those that left stopped watching. They will not continue to stay/watch on what is possible. Only on what has been shown to not be improbable.

That's what I was saying.

Bortukal said:
Just curious, and really I'm not trying to stir up any more animosity than what's already here, but...of the people upset that fans left early, how many of you were at the game?

I was not. But I have not left a game early, ever. And I went to games in the last 15 years that felt like this one, but with less hope on O.

The fan support is a problem.

How can you call the fan support a problem?

You gotta look at the facts:

- For the last 15 years the program has been decimated by poor coaching hires (Not saying Dino is in this category)
- The program operates in a lowly populated region of the country
- The program operates in an economically depressed area of the country
- For much of that time we competed in a dying league and saw 8-win seasons as HUGE successes

The worst part is during that time the athletic department did very little to try to make the program slightly attractive to the average fan.

You can't blame the fans, we've hit a valley and have had an awful time trying to dig ourselves out of it. It was enormously frustrating to see this team be down by 21 before I finished my first brew (and I definitely bitched about it in the game thread), but eventually, you have to ask yourself "why would the average person stick around?" The game took 4 hours, we weren't scoring at will, and Louisville looked like they'd never relinquish their lead. I don't think it's anywhere close to unreasonable that people aren't sticking around.

21-0 with 5 min gone?!??? You should get your tickets to all future games revoked. Too much can happen. We were within 14 to start the 4th with a Babers offense?!????!???? Pay attention.

(I glared at 12-15 people from my section who left the basketball game. It's insane.

I have a family member who is famous for early exits. He's missed buzzer beaters and game winning homers because he's left early. We give him crap for it. I don't get it and I don't want to get it. He's never going to be riding with me to a game, I'll tell you that much.

Place was a swamp, we were down and it was late. I'm not going to blame people for leaving early.

I will however be upset at the fact that only 900 more people showed up for this game than the last. That's the issue - people who actually come I'll give them a high five and they can do what they want, people who don't show up is who you should be upset at.

I left with 10 mins left after they kicked a field goal to go up 17 and we went 3 and out. I wanted to stay but had an hour drive and the game took forever. I get mad when people leave before the 4th quarter but I can't blame them. The guy in front of me packed his stuff and left when it was a 14 point game (42-28). It was 3rd and long and Jackson made a long run with missed tackles and converted it. He said, "I can't watch this anymore." I am more critical of our basketball team because I expect to win. With football, we simply are not on that level yet so why get mad?

The GT shock n awe 56-0 D, the Pasqualoni 62-0 VT D and all of Greg Robinson's D's say hello.

Edit - (I'm sorry if you successfully blocked those out & I'm making you relive them)
We made history today with our defense.

How can you call the fan support a problem?

You gotta look at the facts:

- For the last 15 years the program has been decimated by poor coaching hires (Not saying Dino is in this category)
- The program operates in a lowly populated region of the country
- The program operates in an economically depressed area of the country
- For much of that time we competed in a dying league and saw 8-win seasons as HUGE successes

The worst part is during that time the athletic department did very little to try to make the program slightly attractive to the average fan.

You can't blame the fans, we've hit a valley and have had an awful time trying to dig ourselves out of it. It was enormously frustrating to see this team be down by 21 before I finished my first brew (and I definitely bitched about it in the game thread), but eventually, you have to ask yourself "why would the average person stick around?" The game took 4 hours, we weren't scoring at will, and Louisville looked like they'd never relinquish their lead. I don't think it's anywhere close to unreasonable that people aren't sticking around.

Forget last 15 years...we went 10-3 in 2001 and fan support was underwhelming even in that year because...I don't know, I guess we didn't throw enough bombs and peoples feelings were hurt because we "sucked" the previous 2 years? (Yes, the average fan thinks we "suck" when we win 6 or 7.)

We won 3 bowl games in 4 years from 2010-2013 and had some great home wins. What was our max attendance? 45k for WVU? We were pretty good and attendance was still spotty because...I mean, is it really acceptable to blame bad football from 3-5 years earlier when attendance is underwhelming in a bowl season?

I don't even know what some of you are talking about. Outside of the students, very few people left at halftime or even during the 3rd. The exodus started when it became 45-28 in the 4th.

Forget last 15 years...we went 10-3 in 2001 and fan support was underwhelming even in that year because...I don't know, I guess we didn't throw enough bombs and peoples feelings were hurt because we "sucked" the previous 2 years? (Yes, the average fan thinks we "suck" when we win 6 or 7.)

We won 3 bowl games in 4 years from 2010-2013 and had some great home wins. What was our max attendance? 45k for WVU? We were pretty good and attendance was still spotty because...I mean, is it really acceptable to blame bad football from 3-5 years earlier when attendance is underwhelming in a bowl season?

If the argument is 10-3 in 2001 and a stretch of four years where we won 7-5-7-6 regular season games, I think you should see the point -- especially when those are the highlights and we're ignoring the low points.

What was embarrassing was the D and always running up the middle. Our RBs are talented, stop limiting tjem with up the gut runs. To turn things aroud the bad performance on the fans leaving is weak. The team sucked from the first play.

I hate leaving early, but you people who criticize fans who actually go to games while you swear at the tv can pound salt. Can't make every game? Give your tickets to friends/family/a worthy charity. Most people who raise this issue are hypocritical.

I think you have to realize that many people on here posting during the games don't live close enough to attend games. When I did live in the area I went to MANY MANY MANY games including blowouts whether it was basketball or football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom