What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call BS on Thamel. Tell me the coach of Dayton or Xavier would not jump at the chance to coach at, at worst, a top 15 national program, in the ACC? They would be fools.
When was the last time we were a top 15 program?

His logic is sound, but Thamel is about as far from unplugged with regards to our program as possible for a major journalist.

His prediction might be based upon a reasonable set of logic, but it's no more than a guess.
This prediction was not based on a Syracuse connection; rather, connections with a number of top-level mid-major coaches.

Re: Attracting a top level mid-major coach when the time comes--

Thamel, in his discussion with Waters, said that he had investigated this a few years ago. He mentioned specifically talking with Archie Miller (who was then at Dayton) and Chris Mack (Xavier). The interest in the SU job was not high.

Thamel thinks SU will make an internal hire/promotion. Certainly, with events at Duke and UNC, that seems to be the trend.

I wouldn’t trust anything he says regarding Syracuse.

This prediction was not based on a Syracuse connection; rather, connections with a number of top-level mid-major coaches.

Rather, a haphazard, hypothetical interview he did a couple of years ago, extrapolated to today's circumstances.

It's a sound theory. Doesn't mean his conclusion is right.

Rather, a haphazard, hypothetical interview he did a couple of years ago, extrapolated to today's circumstances.

It's a sound theory. Doesn't mean his conclusion is right.
It was more than a couple of years ago, because A. Miller had not moved on to Indiana yet. It was not hypothetical, because he named names (and there may have been more than the two he mentioned). And, neither of us knows how "haphazard" those interviews were.

If anything, based upon what Duke and UNC just did, today's circumstances would seem to be more favorable to his conclusion. What the college basketball world will look like in 2 or 5 or however many years until JB retires--who knows?

Last edited:
It was more than a couple of years ago, because A. Miller had not moved on to Indiana yet. It was not hypothetical, because he named names (and there may have been more than the two he mentioned). And, neither of us knows how "haphazard" those interviews were. many years until JB retires

If anything, based upon what Duke and UNC just did, today's circumstances would seem to be more favorable to his conclusion. What the college basketball world will look like in 2 or 5 or however many years until JB retires--who knows?

It is haphazard to apply conclusions from a piece he researched years ago, and suggest that those same conclusions apply today, with circumstances being different [putting it mildly].

Because, as you agree, it was more than a couple of years ago.

I already acknowledge that the uninformed logic is sound. But it isn't informed -- he's guessing. He has no visibility into the SU athletic department. He may be right about the interest being low in our soon to be open role -- but then again, he might not...and probably isn't. There is a strong likelihood that the latter will prove to ultimately be the case, given the numerous attractive factors that position us as a top 10 caliber job opportunity.

Plus, Thamel is a vindictive jackass with respect to his coverage of SU -- so anything he says needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt. Again, putting it mildly.

Last edited:
Excellent article on Jay Wright on The Athletic. Played at Bucknell. Assistant at U of R, Nova and Vegas pre Hofstra and is good but not great at Nova for first few years.

He wouldn't get a sniff here using some of the prerequisites some posters want for our next guy. Proving I guess there is no cookie cutter process or hire. Could be someone out there lurking in the weeds who is in Wildhack's line of vision, who the fans are totally unaware of. Going to be an interesting transition either way, and say a lot about a lot of people in the SU orbit.

When was the last time we were a top 15 program?
He’s not talking about the AP top 25 ratings. He’s talking about overall program strength/prestige. And btw, we were ranked in the AP top 25 at the end of last season.

He’s not talking about the AP top 25 ratings. He’s talking about overall program strength/prestige. And btw, we were ranked in the AP top 25 at the end of last season.
You could also say that in our worst stretch under JB, we managed to make a final 4 and 2 sweet 16's and still haven't had a losing season. We're kind of spoiled.

still don’t know what it means. Are we telling recruits we’ve been a top 25 program the last 10 years? I don’t even know how prevalent something like that would even be. I think it’s something overblown as usual.
It’s today’s Ursula Anders thinking she should get another iconic bikini scene

It was a good discussion. Pete kind of poo poos Syracuse, saying there is no reason SU should be good at basketball.

I have a quibble here. CNY has the most basketball fans in the country and they are unbelievably loyal and fanatical about their team. Who else is going to draw 25K for a weekday night game in the middle of a blizzard?

That alone differentiates Syracuse from any other program in the country, with the possible exception of Kentucky.
SU just has the biggest building. If Kentucky had a 35k arena, they would fill it. Probably Indiana, too.

Excellent article on Jay Wright on The Athletic. Played at Bucknell. Assistant at U of R, Nova and Vegas pre Hofstra and is good but not great at Nova for first few years.

He wouldn't get a sniff here using some of the prerequisites some posters want for our next guy. Proving I guess there is no cookie cutter process or hire. Could be someone out there lurking in the weeds who is in Wildhack's line of vision, who the fans are totally unaware of. Going to be an interesting transition either way, and say a lot about a lot of people in the SU orbit.
Lappas, a former Nova assistant, got the job before Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors