What players should have their jersey honored next? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What players should have their jersey honored next?

Moten > GMac

Here is where it lands for me - look at the guys we've honored. Put them on any team, with anybody, and that team is going to scare people. Those guys were always great.

Then look at GMac. Put him on a team with anybody, and... meh. GMac's legacy more than anybody benefitted from who his teammates were. His game in isolation doesn't stand on its own like the others.

He came up in big moments. He wasn't transcendent.
And yet, his career has legendary moments. 1st half of the NC game. 2006 BET. Should he be in before Wallace and Hak? No. But I think he's further up the list than you do.

yes. that was a targeted post.
Mission_Accomplished_%281%29.jpg
Well played.

And yet, his career has legendary moments. 1st half of the NC game. 2006 BET. Should he be in before Wallace and Hak? No. But I think he's further up the list than you do.
I realize I'm going to lose this. It will happen for him some day.

Legendary moments do not make a legendary career.

Memorable Syracuse player but better than Wallace, Warrick------?
Not sure I said he was a legendary player or that he was better than Wallace, Warrick (in fact, I'm sure I didn't), but whatever..

2004 Gtown game buzzer beater
2003 NC game
2004 BYU game
2005 BET tournament
2006 BET tournament

GMac is getting honored eventually.

I think it’s Wallace next though.
Hopefully next year.
Hak before GMac though.
Both are deserving though.

Moten > GMac

Here is where it lands for me - look at the guys we've honored. Put them on any team, with anybody, and that team is going to scare people. Those guys were always great.

Then look at GMac. Put him on a team with anybody, and... meh. GMac's legacy more than anybody benefitted from who his teammates were. His game in isolation doesn't stand on its own like the others.

He came up in big moments. He wasn't transcendent.

I would argue the exact opposite for Gmac. The reason why people hate on him is his shooting pct.

It's because his teammates his last two years weren't great and had to take a ton of forced shots. Sorta like Battle this year. If Edelin stayed 4 years, Gmac's numbers would have been much more efficient.

Agreed, he's didn't have the kind of game to take over off the bounce, but that wasn't his game.

It seems you think jerseys should be retired in order of NBA potential/ success.

I think they should be retired by impact on the program. As such, he deserves to be up there ahead of anyone not named Wallace or Wartick (of those not up there).

Game on the line, one possession to go and you need a basket. Not sure anyone was more clutch than he was for four years.

Every time this comes up I wonder why Rudy Hackett's name never gets mentioned. He averaged 22 and 13 while leading SU to a final 4. Those numbers are better than Camelo's.

I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Is there some reason why he wasn't one of the first honored? Makes no sense to me.

I have never been all that familiar with Hackett, but after looking at his stats and accomplishments, I absolutely agree with you. I feel like SU basketball history tends to be viewed as Dave Bing, then ignore everyone from the 1970s and early 1980s, and then Pearl, which is wrong.

Legendary moments do not make a legendary career.

Memorable Syracuse player but better than Wallace, Warrick------?

No one is saying that GMac is a more talented basketball player than Wallace and Warrick -- obviously those guys are light years better based on their 8-10 year pro careers. Retiring jerseys should be chronological -- Wallace and then Warrick should be next.

But the idea that GMac's jersey shouldn't hang in the rafters of the Dome for all he has contributed to our program is certifiably insane.

Watching old GMac clips.
Whomever the hell thought it was smart to change from the uniforms from 2004 to what we had in 2005 was beyond stupid.

Those 2005 uniforms are so garbage.
We should have never changed from the 2003 NC era style and if we did go back to the pre-1994 uniforms.

Watching old GMac clips.
Whomever the hell thought it was smart to change from the uniforms from 2004 to what we had in 2005 was beyond stupid.

We should have never changed from the 2003 NC era style and if we did go back to the pre-1994 uniforms.

I pray we go back to our classic look soon but Nike seems to have other plans

Watching old GMac clips.

Agreed. The black letters on the Orange were horrific. To borrow a phrase, they were "Tavern League".

I would take Dion Waiters over GMac, Sherm, Pearl, Moten and Stevie if we are building pickup teams and I need a backcourt.

Just when you had made a good point, you post something like this, and totally undermine it.

Just when you had made a good point, you post something like this, and totally undermine it.

How come? I was just responding to OIG saying he wouldn't take GMac for a pickup game. I don't think that should be a litmus test for retiring jerseys.

I would argue the exact opposite for Gmac. The reason why people hate on him is his shooting pct.

It's because his teammates his last two years weren't great and had to take a ton of forced shots. Sorta like Battle this year. If Edelin stayed 4 years, Gmac's numbers would have been much more efficient.

Agreed, he's didn't have the kind of game to take over off the bounce, but that wasn't his game.

It seems you think jerseys should be retired in order of NBA potential/ success.

I think they should be retired by impact on the program. As such, he deserves to be up there ahead of anyone not named Wallace or Wartick (of those not up there).

Game on the line, one possession to go and you need a basket. Not sure anyone was more clutch than he was for four years.
His shooting percentage was low because he was a streaky volume 3-point shooter (two-thirds of his shots were from deep) and didn't hit for a high percentage from out there. However, he was outstanding from the free throw line, and this helped him compile a career .547 TS%, which is pretty solid. For his career, he averaged 15.5 ppg and 4.8 apg, and obviously hit many important and memorable shots along the way. There is no doubt in my mind that his jersey deserves to one day hang in the Dome.

Gerry McNamara College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

How come? I was just responding to OIG saying he wouldn't take GMac for a pickup game. I don't think that should be a litmus test for retiring jerseys.

I didn't realize.

Next should be John Wallace and it's not even close. Meant so much to the program. Chose SU when we were on the 1993 probation when he could have bailed. Was a terrific player. And carried the team on his back to 1996 Final Four. Honor is long overdue.

I think you're going overboard with my intended point. It's fine. Like I said, he'll get it. I just think he'll water down our definition of "great" player.

I think you're going overboard with my intended point. It's fine. Like I said, he'll get it. I just think he'll water down our definition of "great" player.
This is where I'm coming from too.

It's doubtful there were many other players as well liked as Gmac. But I don't feel he quite comes up to the level of the others who have had their numbers raised in the Dome.

It's like the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's gotten to the point over the past decade or more that writers feel like they have to put someone in on any given year. Good players but not up to the level of players in the first 30-40 years.

He'll likely get there based on his popularity as much as his basketball ability. For me this is the equivalent of Phil Rizzuto in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I pretty specifically made the case against GMac entirely using his college career, so I wasn't using pro career at all in the assessment.

Like I said re: impact, our other greats would have had impact any time. GMac had impact because of Melo and Warrick. If it was him alone I don't think he accomplishes much.

This is where I'm coming from too.

It's doubtful there were many other players as well liked as Gmac. But I don't feel he quite comes up to the level of the others who have had their numbers raised in the Dome.

It's like the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's gotten to the point over the past decade or more that writers feel like they have to put someone in on any given year. Good players but not up to the level of players in the first 30-40 years.

He'll likely get there based on his popularity as much as his basketball ability. For me this is the equivalent of Phil Rizzuto in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
How do you feel about Dennis DuVal's jersey hanging in the Dome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom