What stinks the most | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What stinks the most

I understand orangepassion's point. Had we hired someone other than Shafer, we would have held on to all of our recruits. Especially the highest rated ones.

Not necessarilly, but you would have the benefit of seeing what's out there.

That's a joke, right?
my+joke+skyrocketed+over+your+head+not+even+a+close+_66815b942ee838e07bfa07bfe5342939.jpg

Continuity is more than just keeping recruits and assistants. We know philosophy isn't going to change. The players know the way practices run will stay largely the same. The defense should be nearly the same, and that's important since we were going to have an abundance of change with personnel on offense. I'm sure Shafer has some established relationships with highschool coaches and future recruits that would have to be reestablished with a completely new staff. That's important since recruiting for us is a multi-year process, and I'm sure the process of scouting and making contacts for 2014 and 2015 was already underway.

We won't have to wait long before finding out how HCSS goes about filling out a staff. If he carries on one trait of Marrone's, I hope it's that he won't hesitate to let someone go if he doesn't think it's working out.

Is this a serious response?

i guess im really struggling. i still dont understand his point?

was he being sarcastic? it didnt seem like it at all to me.

if your post is re: me bringing up fantasy names... well the OP said nick saban, which brings in any coach in the world for comparison.

Not necessarilly, but you would have the benefit of seeing what's out there.

Seeing what is out there benefits SU how exactly? There is no such thing as a sure fire candidate, so what would opening up a full scale search accomplish? Other that delaying a hire and possibly alienating the recruits that we do have committed even more.

Please explain what you think the benefits are, I would love to hear them.

chip kelly, urban meyer, bill o brien right off the bat.

You just listed 2 guys that the ncaa could shut down whenever they deem fit, and a 3rd that is obviously bolting for the nfl asap.

Aside from that we cant afford them, their staffs, or their players.

You just listed 2 guys that the ncaa could shut down whenever they deem fit, and a 3rd that is obviously bolting for the nfl asap.

Aside from that we cant afford them, their staffs, or their players.

the OP listed Nick Saban. it was quite clearly fantasy land.

Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon... I highly doubt the NCAA has anything on him. Not sure why you think Urban is going to get shut down.

the OP listed Nick Saban. it was quite clearly fantasy land.

Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon... I highly doubt the NCAA has anything on him. Not sure why you think Urban is going to get shut down.

I dont think the ncaa will shut them down but could if they ever grew a set.

We dont have the infrastructure that makes those coaches successful. If we did we would still have Marrone and recruiting wouldnt be an issue.

Not a shot at you at all just threads like this in general.

As head coach?

Why? He's been a position coach his whole career. Hiring him as coordinator would be one thing.

I don't even agree that he should be considered as a coordinator, he doesn't even have a good enough resume to be hired as a coordinator.

Tell me what credentials he has to be hired instead of Shafer in any capacity OC,DC or HC?

Seeing what is out there benefits SU how exactly? There is no such thing as a sure fire candidate, so what would opening up a full scale search accomplish? Other that delaying a hire and possibly alienating the recruits that we do have committed even more.

Please explain what you think the benefits are, I would love to hear them.

Very simple-Possibly get a better, maybe even more established Head Coach.

As head coach?

Why? He's been a position coach his whole career. Hiring him as coordinator would be one thing.
Because he is a descends from the P tree.

Very simple-Possibly get a better, maybe even more established Head Coach.

Possibly? So you would trade a known quantity as our own DC with a track record we all like, credentials that have gotten him HC interviews in the past, a defensive style that is fun to watch for possibly hiring someone else's DC or OC on the off chance he might be better than the guy we already have?

This would result in delaying the hire with all it's consequences with staff, recruits, current players, fans, support, etc.

Quite a gamble with a program as fragile as this one is right now.

You sound like someone who stays too long at the blackjack table.

Possibly? So you would trade a known quantity as our own DC with a track record we all like, credentials that have gotten him HC interviews in the past, a defensive style that is fun to watch for possibly hiring someone else's DC or OC on the off chance he might be better than the guy we already have?

This would result in delaying the hire with all it's consequences with staff, recruits, current players, fans, support, etc.

Quite a gamble with a program as fragile as this one is right now.

You sound like someone who stays too long at the blackjack table.

1) He is not a known quantity as a HC
2) Consequences with recruits and coaches? Have you been following this the last few days? We have already lost recruits and assistants and will probably lose more-that was the point of my original post.
3) It could be argued that not doing a real search is a bigger gamble-Who knows who we could have gotten? Maybe a proven head Coach.

2) Consequences with recruits and coaches? Have you been following this the last few days? We have already lost recruits and assistants and will probably lose more-that was the point of my original post.
3) It could be argued that not doing a real search is a bigger gamble-Who knows who we could have gotten? Maybe a proven head Coach.

My reply:

Right now, who out there is? Then ask the question, who out there is that SU can possibly get? Then ask the question, who out there is, that SU can possibly get and afford? Then ask the question, who out there is, that SU can possibly get and afford that won't blow up EVERYTHING that has been built?

Scott Shafer is more known than any candidate that we could interview. Make the argument against it, please. Please don't start spouting fantasy land coaching hires.

2) Consequences with recruits and coaches? Have you been following this the last few days? We have already lost recruits and assistants and will probably lose more-that was the point of my original post. -

Besides Zach Allen, who have we lost? Recruits looking around for options, believe it or not, happens whether it gets reported or not and happens by almost every recruit right up until signing day. See Marrone's last recruiting class where they were being contacted and pushed even up until signing day last year.

Like Who? I haven't heard about a good proven coach being available at this time of year that wasn't fired or named Gruden or Cowher that SU could get or afford. We don't have a track record of luring current head coaches away from other schools and paying them more.

You said it could be argued - Please make the argument on this last one. Everything in your argument would be based on possibles and supposition.

Yeah, I still support Shafer, but I think we all believed that he was a package deal with Allen and Hackett. That blew up. I don't have behind the scenes details or anything and maybe we did evaluate a bunch of serious candidates but the Shafer hire did seem quick. Package deal, quick hire made a lot of sense. Since we didn't get the package maybe taking a little more time looks betted in hindsight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As head coach?

Well Scott Shafer has been an assistant his whole career - as was Marrone.

I have said it before, I like Stoudtland for the following reasons: (1) he is from the northeast; (2) he coached at Syracuse and knows the culture; (3) he has been regarded as a great recruiter - he was our recruiting coordinator for three years; (4) he has worked for big time programs - Miami, Michigan State and Alabama; (5) he is an OL coach - I happen to feel that they make good HCs; (6) he is so well regarded that when Miami was in trouble he was made interim HC and is apparently Nick Saban's Assistant HC; (7) he brings the Alabama panache and (8) he really wants the job.

As head coach...No thanks. Again, you suggest someone with no HC experience,why would he be a better choice than HCSS???

See the answer below.

Well Scott Shafer has been an assistant his whole career - as was Marrone.

I have said it before, I like Stoudtland for the following reasons: (1) he is from the northeast; (2) he coached at Syracuse and knows the culture; (3) he has been regarded as a great recruiter - he was our recruiting coordinator for three years; (4) he has worked for big time programs - Miami, Michigan State and Alabama; (5) he is an OL coach - I happen to feel that they make good HCs; (6) he is so well regarded that when Miami was in trouble he was made interim HC and is apparently Nick Saban's Assistant HC; (7) he brings the Alabama panache and (8) he really wants the job.

1- From the NE doesn't qualify him for anything.
2-He was a graduate assistant at SU for 2 years back in 86-87. How could he possibly know the culture there now.
3-Who regarded him as a great recruiter, Coach P? You mean he was the recruiter under coach P for 3 years when our talent was declining. - great.
4-Yes, as a position coach.
5-I think career position coaches make great head coaches.
6-He was made interim HC for 1 game which the team got smashed in.
7-This means very little to anyone. Without Saban, that program goes back into the cellar like it was the previous 10 years before he arrived.
8-I really want the job as head of Microsoft, doesn't mean I am qualified or have any shot.

My reply:

Like Who? I haven't heard about a good proven coach being available at this time of year that wasn't fired or named Gruden or Cowher that SU could get or afford. We don't have a track record of luring current head coaches away from other schools and paying them more.

You said it could be argued - Please make the argument on this last one. Everything in your argument would be based on possibles and supposition.

Mark Whipple
Ralph Friedgen
Mark Mangino
Mike Malarkey
George O'Leary
Mike Martz
Josh McDaniels
Bill Blankenship
Skip Holtz (laugh if you want, still has more credentials and connections than Shafer)
Bobby Wilder

If I can do this from my couch why couldn't Dr. Gross? Instead he took the easy route and just walked 10 feet down the hall and handed the keys to someone with no head coaching experience.

If you want to say we shouldn't hire any of those guys because some of them had been fired, then I guess Marrone should never have hired Shafer after he was fired at Michigan. Can't talk out both sides of your mouth.

Mark Whipple
Ralph Friedgen
Mark Mangino
Mike Malarkey
George O'Leary
Mike Martz
Josh McDaniels
Bill Blankenship
Skip Holtz (laugh if you want, still has more credentials and connections than Shafer)
Bobby Wilder

If I can do this from my couch why couldn't Dr. Gross? Instead he took the easy route and just walked 10 feet down the hall and handed the keys to someone with no head coaching experience.

If you want to say we shouldn't hire any of those guys because some of them had been fired, then I guess Marrone should never have hired Shafer after he was fired at Michigan. Can't talk out both sides of your mouth.

I can do this from my couch, As did the Good Doctor I am sure.

Mark Whipple - All HC experience was at FCS level or Ivy league. All other coaching experience was at the position coach level except 1 year as OC at Miami where he was fired. Next stop Cleveland Browns as a...wait for it, Position Coach. No Thanks.

Ralph Friedgen - 2001-2003 he succeeded with someone else's talent, then the 4th year when his guys see the field the go in the toilet. After his 1st 3 years, his record is 44-42. Great hire, again No Thanks.

Mark Mangino - Record at Kansas 50-48, along with all the investigations he needs a record like Saban's to sell me or...No Thanks.

Mike Malarkey - LOL, really. Can't bellieve you would even suggest it. No College coaching experience whatsoever. No recruiting ties. Pro head coaching record 16-32, No thanks.

George O'Leary - Coached my High School. Lied on his resume. College total HC record 112 -88 but there is no way in hell that TGD hires this guy.

Mike Martz - Not Happening. Currently works as a FOX sports NFL analyst and makes more than Marrone did as HC at Syracuse. As of 18 hours ago is interviewing for the HC gig for the Oakland Raiders. He is alos an arrogant jerk that would think the HC job at SU is beneath him.

Skip Holtz (laugh if you want, still has more credentials and connections than Shafer)- He wan't interested in the job the first time. After what happened at USF, why would you even put him on a list to make a point??

Should I shred the remaining 3 or do you get my point?

Bobby Wilder
Josh McDaniels
Bill Blankenship

Also - None of these candidates would make the splash or impact with the boosters and fans which if you were going outside of the current staff would have to be made. If I was TGD, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to any of these guys.

I might consider Bob Diaco(ND) or mark Helfrich (Oregon) but neither of them are going anywhere for a while. These names might have enough cache to make the boosters, administration, and fans happy.

Talking out of both sides of my mouth?? There is not one person in college football that doesn't know that Scott Shafer at Michigan for the one year was the ONE mistake of his career. There is also not one person anywhere that doesn't know he got shafted by Rich Rod and was used as a scapegoat.

Even Michigan fans know he got screwed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom