What the BET will look like in 2014 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What the BET will look like in 2014

SU leaving hurts the Big East and the BET. That is obvious and a given. Most understand the financial and long term stability benefits underlying the decision to leave. It's true the BET will be watered down and somewhat diminished by the increase in weak basketball programs that was a trade off to bring in some decent football programs from outside the east. But the top 8 seeds you list are all quality hoops programs and perennial NCAA teams. The first 2 days of the tourney is brutal but the quarters and semis will have brand name teams. The BET is not going to die. MSG is negotiating a 10 year contract extension to run through 2026. I do think some SU fans are not being realistic about how diminished SU's fan experience will be playing in the ACC Tourney. We are used to having 60-80% of the crowd at MSG when SU plays. In Greensboro and Atlanta we will find that UNC and Duke fans rule the venue. SU will have only a small presence because (1) it is far away and expensive to get there,(2) there is a far smaller local alumi base in that area (the crowd at MSG is made primarily of thousands of NY metro alums) and (3) unlike MSG you will find tickets far harder to come by. We will not find playing in a venue that is 60-80% UNC/Duke fans anywhere near as enjoyable as what we are used to.

I've posted this a few times already and for some reason or another, people feel they need to bash the future BIg East which I don't get! Anyone who has been around for awhile knows that the Big East takes lower level programs and makes them competitive. Sure there are stinkers like Depaul but if you look at teams that were really bad or average before joining the Big East and the power of the Big East help build a program! Look at Miami when they joined in the early 90's, they were lucky to win 5 games a year, I think it took them 5 years to build the program but they had a run of a few NCAA tourneys before they bolted for the ACC. Marquette and WVU went from being average programs to top 30 in the country! Just watch, Temple and memphis have a shot of building even better programs and probably will! SMU, Houston etc will go from have really crappy teams to respectable programs in 3-5 years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom