What the BET will look like in 2014 | Syracusefan.com

What the BET will look like in 2014

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Lots of talk and jabs at Syracuse making a mistake by leaving the Big East. We all know that's not really the case. It will suck to not go to MSG for the best conference tourney, but the BET will in no shape or form remain the best conference tourney going forward, even if it's still played in MSG.

I decided to "project" what the 2014 BET will look like. I used RPI rankings to seed the teams. If they invite all 18 teams to the tourney, it will take 6 days to complete. I used the current tiered bye system the BET currently uses, and modified it to add the 17 and 18 seeds.

Day 1: Monday
15. Rutgers vs 18. SMU
16. Depaul vs 17. Houston

Day 2: Tuesday
10. UCF vs RU/SMU winner
11. Seton Hall vs 14. Providence
9. USF vs Depaul/Houston winner
12. Villanova vs 13. St John's

Day 3: Wednesday
7. Notre Dame vs UCF/RU/SMU winner
6. UConn vs Seton Hall/Prov winner
8. Cinci vs USF/Depaul/Houston winner
5. Lville vs Villanova/St John's winner

Day 4: Thursday
2. Georgetown vs ND/UCF/RU/SMU winner
3. Memphis vs UConn/Seton Hall/Prov winner
4. Temple vs Lville/Nova/SJU winner
1. Marquette vs Cinci/USF/Depaul/Houston winner

Day 5: Friday
Semifinals

Day 6: Saturday
Championship

I don't think we will be missing much. The first two days of the tourney will be abysmal to watch.

Holy Crappola.

And it hits me....THUD. Hoops Weiss, this is why we are not going to reconsider our move to the ACC.

I have loved the Big East since the beginning. But THAT basketball conference is not the Big East. And the football conference that they have concocted isn't anything but Conference USA 2014.

Remember tho, if the 3 teams didn't leave, it wouldn't look like that.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX
But 3 teams did leave, so it WILL look like that. I'd rather be in our position than UConn or Lville's.

Gotta disagree with most of that. I totally agree with "monday and Tuesday will be abysmal"..of course they will ...a bloated conference inviting all the drecks to the tournament will have a lot of bad teams playing the early games to weed them out...Tuesday's already suck in the Big East Tourny before they add these extra teams.

I really wanted to look at your post and agree with it, but look at Wednesday onwards (the final 12) in your scenario... there are 9 NCAA teams potentially playing..if you factor in Wiess' point that Syracuse should still be there, it would be 10 of 12 teams..how does that suck?..by the time the Quarters happen, ESPN could be hyping it up as all 8 Quaterfinalists are already Lunardi locks.

I appreciate that Syracuse made the smart move finacially for all sports, long term stability and a potential rejuvenation of a mediocre football program, but the Big East tournament is still gonna be 1A or 1B along with the ACC tourny.

Once Syracuse, Pitt and WVU are gone, the Big East is still gonna send 8 teams to the NCAA's on average every year.

When you have 18 teams, getting 8 in probably isn't too difficult.

In reality, adding Memphis and Temple in the last month probably salvaged the basketball league.

And the crowd will look like it does tonight at MSG...empty.

Edit: It looks like there are quite a few more people than before the commercial break.

Gotta disagree with most of that. I totally agree with "monday and Tuesday will be abysmal"..of course they will ...a bloated conference inviting all the drecks to the tournament will have a lot of bad teams playing the early games to weed them out...Tuesday's already suck in the Big East Tourny before they add these extra teams.

I really wanted to look at your post and agree with it, but look at Wednesday onwards (the final 12) in your scenario... there are 9 NCAA teams potentially playing..if you factor in Wiess' point that Syracuse should still be there, it would be 10 of 12 teams..how does that suck?..by the time the Quarters happen, ESPN could be hyping it up as all 8 Quaterfinalists are already Lunardi locks.

I appreciate that Syracuse made the smart move finacially for all sports, long term stability and a potential rejuvenation of a mediocre football program, but the Big East tournament is still gonna be 1A or 1B along with the ACC tourny.

Once Syracuse, Pitt and WVU are gone, the Big East is still gonna send 8 teams to the NCAA's on average every year.
ESPN is not going to want to market that. You better believe ESPN and MSG are pissed that Syracuse isnt playing tonight. I guess they can hope for a UCONN/Gtown Final but its still not the same. Not to sound all cocky but Syracuse is the Big East Tourney, when we go that tourney is going to suffer big time.

But 3 teams did leave, so it WILL look like that. I'd rather be in our position than UConn or Lville's.

But you can't say it looks bad and is the reason we left.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX
If we didnt go then maybe they invite UCONN. So now were stuck in a conference losing WVU/UCONN/Pitt with L'ville half out the door.

Sent from my DROIDX
I never said it was the reason we left. It was simply a response to the Cronin's and Weiss's of the world.

Honestly, I wish the BET still looked like it did back in the 1980's.

And the crowd will look like it does tonight at MSG...empty.

Edit: It looks like there are quite a few more people than before the commercial break.

No energy there...MSG is so dark you can't tell how full the place is.

Sent from my DROIDX

The Big East could still be missing 3 teams probably just 2 different ones.

Of course the Big East Tourney is gonna be better with Syracuse, they are the biggest draw in attendance and probably for ESPN on TV..but it's over, and that is Weiss' point..he is nostalgic already.

But looking at the hypothetical '14 tournament above and calling it anything other than a great tourny is wrong...Would absouletely be better with Syracuse however...but that boat has sailed.

Of course the Big East Tourney is gonna be better with Syracuse, they are the biggest draw in attendance and probably for ESPN on TV..but it's over, and that is Weiss' point..he is nostalgic already.

But looking at the hypothetical '14 tournament above and calling it anything other than a great tourny is wrong...Would absouletely be better with Syracuse however...but that boat has sailed.
I think you, bees, and a few others need to reread my post. I never said the new conference structure was horrible, I just said we wouldn't be missing much. I think that is a fair assessment based on those teams.

Imagine what it would've looked like if the didn't add Temple and Memphis in the past month?!

Also, I don't know how anyone can disagree that the first two days of the tourney will be abysmal.

bottom line people, louisville and cincy will be in the big 12, rutgurs and uconn will be in the acc. the big east could have fixed this, but they chose to let this happen. the big east will be no more, sad but reality

I think you, bees, and a few others need to reread my post. I never said the new conference structure was horrible, I just said we wouldn't be missing much. I think that is a fair assessment based on those teams.

Imagine what it would've looked like if the didn't add Temple and Memphis in the past month?!

Also, I don't know how anyone can disagree that the first two days of the tourney will be abysmal.

I really doubt they will take every team to New York. First, renting the Garden is expensive, and the theoretical Monday games would be create a financial loss. Second, if they ended the season on Saturday, there would be no time for an awards ceremony, and the Monday teams would have to travel on very short notice. Third, six games in six days is (arguably) dangerous to a player's health.

I think they would end the regular season on the previous Wednesday and hold a handful of games on campus on Saturday-Sunday, and then bring the remaining teams to NYC.

The first two days would be abysmal, but so was this Tuesday..I already can't remember what happened. Also I doubt MSG would say yes to the Big East asking for an extra day involving a 2 game double-header between teams 15-18 of the Big East. this monday MSG had an exhibition tennis event I think which is waaaay better than 15-18 of the Big East drawing 4000 fans.

All I am saying is that by the time the first two days are over..the final 12 of your hypothetical tourny is a good tourny, and if Syracuse was still there obviosuly even better..Days 1 and 2 of any 6 day tournament are irrelevant...only a complete hoops pyscho would be watching that junk anyways.

Sent from my DROIDX

Someone was leaving.

Lots of talk and jabs at Syracuse making a mistake by leaving the Big East. We all know that's not really the case. It will suck to not go to MSG for the best conference tourney, but the BET will in no shape or form remain the best conference tourney going forward, even if it's still played in MSG.

I decided to "project" what the 2014 BET will look like. I used RPI rankings to seed the teams. If they invite all 18 teams to the tourney, it will take 6 days to complete. I used the current tiered bye system the BET currently uses, and modified it to add the 17 and 18 seeds.

Day 1: Monday
15. Rutgers vs 18. SMU
16. Depaul vs 17. Houston

Day 2: Tuesday
10. UCF vs RU/SMU winner
11. Seton Hall vs 14. Providence
9. USF vs Depaul/Houston winner
12. Villanova vs 13. St John's

Day 3: Wednesday
7. Notre Dame vs UCF/RU/SMU winner
6. UConn vs Seton Hall/Prov winner
8. Cinci vs USF/Depaul/Houston winner
5. Lville vs Villanova/St John's winner

Day 4: Thursday
2. Georgetown vs ND/UCF/RU/SMU winner
3. Memphis vs UConn/Seton Hall/Prov winner
4. Temple vs Lville/Nova/SJU winner
1. Marquette vs Cinci/USF/Depaul/Houston winner

Day 5: Friday
Semifinals

Day 6: Saturday
Championship

I don't think we will be missing much. The first two days of the tourney will be abysmal to watch.

That field is uglier than Constantin Popa.

constantin-popa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom