What the stats say leading into Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What the stats say leading into Clemson

All true and I agree completely but that is not the point I was making.

I was making the point that comparing stats between teams with very different strength of schedules and then drawing conclusions from those comparisons is hard.

What the stats do tell us is how the teams have performed against those opponents.

Both teams have shown balanced offenses, and have generally performed well both running and passing.

The defenses have both played well against their opponents; not unbalanced like Purdue was great against the run but terrible against the pass. Army was kind of unbalanced like that, too.

Kicking game and turnovers have been the biggest differences between these teams. We both played 2 punching bags. They played the best opponent so far in Florida State. But playing against Purdue, Army and Duke are all kind of in the same ballpark of opponents.

`This is a great staff in all three phases, two highly regarded vets and a guy that is very experienced in the offense he’s running even if not being the OC.

The defense is in year four of this scheme and Rocky is going to put in things Clemson hasn’t seen.

On offense I hope we see more quick game. Alford has produced in the two games he’s played a lot in, Hatcher good three out of four. Brown has been consistent from the start.
Brown gives us something we haven't had in awhile, someone who can take it to the house anytime.

Clemson has lost largely b/c of turnovers. You take some of those away in the situations they occurred and they may be undefeated right now as well. I said it a couple games ago, they aren’t nearly as bad people are hoping/wishing. If you look at the stats vs FSU and not the score you’d have a hard time believing FSU won the game.

This is a very good team. It’ll be an interesting game and if we can force some TO’s that’ll be great but we need to play as mistake free as possible.

Clemson has lost largely b/c of turnovers. You take some of those away in the situations they occurred and they may be undefeated right now as well. I said it a couple games ago, they aren’t nearly as bad people are hoping/wishing. If you look at the stats vs FSU and not the score you’d have a hard time believing FSU won the game.

This is a very good team. It’ll be an interesting game and if we can force some TO’s that’ll be great but we need to play as mistake free as possible.

That's kind of what I see, too. Clemson looks very good, statisticaly. Very balanced, both between the run and pass, and on offense and defense.

The differences between us look like turnovers, red zone execution, kicking and punting game, and penalties. On the season so far, we win every category but one. If we can do that this weekend, we should win.

This is going to be a game where all the small details matter. Be better on specials (hit our damn FGs, and make good punts) and turnover Clemson more then we turnover the ball and we have an edge. If they beat us in those areas this is going to be a big challenge to win.
What we can't do is throw a pick 6 first possession. Without doubt something I could see.

the lines play well, we have a shot.. first time in 10 yrs Clemson does not have a ton a better athletes in multiple skill spots.
We have a shot sounds like we’re a 17 pt underdog, It’s still a very talented and tough Clemson, I think we win .

The only things we know for certain right now, are that Clemson is 2-2 and SU is 4-0. Everything else is just interpretation.

Both things we know will bd different by Saturday night.

I think our special teams has played poorly so far this season. Lots of dumb penalties, missed extra points/FG, shanked punts, muffed punts, poor decisions fielding the ball. Kickoffs have been solid for the most part but overall our special teams have been less than special. We need to do better.
I disagree with some of your comments.

I agree with your statement about penalties we've had 31 - 302 YDS, Avg. per game 75.50 we cannot afford these, we must play almost penalty free to be a successful team.

But I disagree about the kicking game, albeit our punter, Stonehouse had one bad day - otherwise our punting is Avg: 44.4/Net 43.73 Lng 55, In 20 - 4. No excuse for a bad day.

KO Denaburg has put every kick into the end zone which is a big deal. We have not had a kicker who does this consistently every time. He's been perfect. Not giving the opposition the opportunity to return is great. KO Stats: 32 - 2,073 YDS, 64.8 Avg., TB 30/30, Ret 1 for 12 YDS

Denaburgs stats on PAT's and FGS: PAT 21/22, FG 6/7 There is no excuse for a missed PAT at this level.
FG: 20-29 1/1, 30-39 4/4, 40-49 1/2 50+ 0/0

We have a shot sounds like we’re a 17 pt underdog, It’s still a very talented and tough Clemson, I think we win .
We have played them 5 times at home and have ben 14/28/24/28/15 pt dogs.. 7 is a big change in the dynamics.

Clemson hasnt been this wounder while playing well in awhile

we have had 6 legit chances to beat them by play on the field and won 1 time..

Based on talent alone Clemson should be a 12 to 15 point favorite.
We have better talent at the following positions.
QB
Punter
Kick off
Possibly Barron at Safety.

They are better at every other position.
We need to play flawlessly. No turnovers. Win field position. Keep it close and take it in the fourth.
If we play them 10 times we win 3 maybe 4.
Tough match up.

We have played them 5 times at home and have ben 14/28/24/28/15 pt dogs.. 7 is a big change in the dynamics.

Clemson hasnt been this wounder while playing well in awhile

we have had 6 legit chances to beat them by play on the field and won 1 time..
4 games have come down to the last minute. It’s our time.

Based on talent alone Clemson should be a 12 to 15 point favorite.
We have better talent at the following positions.
QB
Punter
Kick off
Possibly Barron at Safety.

They are better at every other position.
We need to play flawlessly. No turnovers. Win field position. Keep it close and take it in the fourth.
If we play them 10 times we win 3 maybe 4.
Tough match up.

I like our depth on defense. I think we may take a punch in the mouth, like we did against Army, but I think this D line has enough guys who can make plays to keep us in the game.

Can the offensive line just be average and functional, and not have more than 1 or 2 procedure penalties? If we can do that, avoid turnovers, not give up 5+ sacks, and open some occasional holes for Allen, that's the recipe.