What the Waze? | Syracusefan.com

What the Waze?

upperdeck

Living Legend
Got the Waze email from SU today on parking

Don't use Waze

Clicking the links it sends me on 3 routes I have never used to get to my parking

Haven't come up 81 from the south in a couple months.

Last time though you could still come up 81 and it just went to 1 lane as the 418 switchover happens.

Is that still a thing or should I plan on using some new route?

Or is it just gonna be slow?

They're preparing for next week's sellout

Don't use Waze

Clicking the links it sends me on 3 routes I have never used to get to my parking

Last time though you could still come up 81 and it just went to 1 lane as the 418 switchover happens.

You can still come up 81 south but depending when, it backs up.

So pretty much what happens when you come in from 690 to the west on a game day and that one lane connects into 81. That congestion is always bad.

But a 3:30 game on a sat. how much traffic can there be. 100K going to the state fair and 5k to the fb game.

All those silly PA folks going to the NY state fair and messing with traffic.

Don't want to give away all my secrets, but when coming from the West I'll head through Downtown, and by JMAs new offices before I deal with the headache that is the 690/81 Interchange.

Don't use Waze

It was really bad when I came up I81 from Tully last Friday afternoon. Bumper to bumper for at last 30 minutes.

If I were you, I would think about getting off I81 at Lafayette and coming up Lafayette Road to Brighton, then taking Ainsley Drive and coming in the back way.

Don't use Waze

Advantage to Waze and other dynamic digital mapping apps is that they incorporate real time traffic conditions. And Waze adds user reports for road hazards and speed traps. And I still chuckle every time the dog voice reports “Police reported ahead…..”

It was really bad when I came up I81 from Tully last Friday afternoon. Bumper to bumper for at last 30 minutes.

If I were you, I would think about getting off I81 at Lafayette and coming up Lafayette Road to Brighton, then taking Ainsley Drive and coming in the back way.
one game last year I had to come from Auburn and came over the hill from Skaneateles down Onondaga hill to 11 to Colvin.

That seems to be only a bit longer in time and I get a chance to stop for ice cream 2-3 times as well.

Don't want to give away all my secrets, but when coming from the West I'll head through Downtown, and by JMAs new offices before I deal with the headache that is the 690/81 Interchange.
Me too

I got this E-Mail from SU:

The JMA Dome has worked with Waze to develop directional tools to assist fans in arriving to your parking location as efficiently as possible. Due to the I-81 Viaduct Project, routes you may be accustomed to could be affected by these changes, leading to potential congestion and delays. To ensure a smooth and efficient arrival to the JMA Wireless Dome, we strongly recommend downloading and using the Waze app for navigation.

Please click here for Waze & GPS Directions to your season parking lot for real-time wayfinding information via Waze:

Waze navigation provides real-time traffic updates, alternative routes and information regarding road closures and activities around parking lots. Apple Maps and Google Maps will NOT be as responsive to these changes. Waze will provide the best possible route to your destination and help reduce congestion.

Please note that the QR Code featured on the back of your parking pass will provide a direct link to the Waze & GPS Directions of your season parking lot.

So I pick up my phone aim the QR Reader at the back of a parking pass, get a button to press, press it and go to Cuse.com. Nothing about WAZE. I search around for a link and find nothing. I click on "Maps' and get a blank screen with the address "Paranoid Fan.com". I went to the E-mail, which is on my home computer, clicked on "click here" and got this screen:

which, at this moment in history, is another blank screen with a Sidearm Sports heading. In other words, they haven't set anything up yet but sent the E-mail out.

I'm not really worried much. I take Route 11, Salina and then up Colvin because of some bad experiences winter nights on I-81 years ago. My only concern is going under the bridge up Colvin. From my reading, they are, at some point, going to redo that bridge but the work apparently will be done up top on 81. I'm assuming it won't shut off traffic going up Colvin.

The roundabout on Route 31 shows no signs of beginning so I don't know what they are doing with the East Colvin Street Bridge at this point.

I got this E-Mail from SU:

The JMA Dome has worked with Waze to develop directional tools to assist fans in arriving to your parking location as efficiently as possible. Due to the I-81 Viaduct Project, routes you may be accustomed to could be affected by these changes, leading to potential congestion and delays. To ensure a smooth and efficient arrival to the JMA Wireless Dome, we strongly recommend downloading and using the Waze app for navigation.

Please click here for Waze & GPS Directions to your season parking lot for real-time wayfinding information via Waze:

Waze navigation provides real-time traffic updates, alternative routes and information regarding road closures and activities around parking lots. Apple Maps and Google Maps will NOT be as responsive to these changes. Waze will provide the best possible route to your destination and help reduce congestion.

Please note that the QR Code featured on the back of your parking pass will provide a direct link to the Waze & GPS Directions of your season parking lot.

So I pick up my phone aim the QR Reader at the back of a parking pass, get a button to press, press it and go to Cuse.com. Nothing about WAZE. I search around for a link and find nothing. I click on "Maps' and get a blank screen with the address "Paranoid Fan.com". I went to the E-mail, which is on my home computer, clicked on "click here" and got this screen:

which, at this moment in history, is another blank screen with a Sidearm Sports heading. In other words, they haven't set anything up yet but sent the E-mail out.

I'm not really worried much. I take Route 11, Salina and then up Colvin because of some bad experiences winter nights on I-81 years ago. My only concern is going under the bridge up Colvin. From my reading, they are, at some point, going to redo that bridge but the work apparently will be done up top on 81. I'm assuming it won't shut off traffic going up Colvin.

The roundabout on Route 31 shows no signs of beginning so I don't know what they are doing with the East Colvin Street Bridge at this point.
I'm seeing links and when I click they launch the Waze app with the appropriate directions. I'm on a Pixel phone with chrome as my browser.

As long as you download Waze and type in your destination like any other maps app, you'll get the "real time" directions info. No need to do anything other than that

Does anyone know if driving under the East Colvin Street Bridge will be a problem?

Does anyone know if driving under the East Colvin Street Bridge will be a problem?
I don’t think so. I haven’t seen anything about this in the papers and from my experience, when a bridge over a street is replaced, it rarely if ever results in a closed street.

Worst case, the lanes open on the street might be reduced but Colvin is a really important street and I don’t think they can close it. Especially not during football or basketball season.

I drove under it a couple of days ago. If memory serves, one of the two bridges has been removed but it did not effect traffic on Colvin at all.

I would be really surprised if this ends up being a problem.

We come from the East so I'm assuming this won't affect us?
If you get off I90 at I481 and take that south you might run into construction. I481 is a mess now between I90 and the interchange with I81 south of the city.

If you take I90 all the way to I81 and take that into the city, you should be fine.

If you get off I90 at I481 and take that south you might run into construction. I481 is a mess now between I90 and the interchange with I81 south of the city.

If you take I90 all the way to I81 and take that into the city, you should be fine.
Thanks I appreciate it, we should be all set then.

If you aren’t using WAZE in this day and age, I’m not sure what to tell you.

It’s the best GPS app out there and it’s not even close.

Everyone should be using it, everyday, period.
Agreed, my in laws live on Long Island and using it to drive through the city, especially on the holidays is clutch.

If you aren’t using WAZE in this day and age, I’m not sure what to tell you.

It’s the best GPS app out there and it’s not even close.

Everyone should be using it, everyday, period.
And the dog voice is hilarious! What’s your favorite?

interesting. never heard of it and after the email i asked around and no one I know is using it.

Now I don't know how well it keeps track of cows and tractors slowing down traffic because that's generally what I run into..

Advantage to Waze and other dynamic digital mapping apps is that they incorporate real time traffic conditions. And Waze adds user reports for road hazards and speed traps. And I still chuckle every time the dog voice reports “Police reported ahead…..”

I’m note sure exactly what is going on with Waze, but several times this summer I’ve driven right into a massive traffic backup and Waze updates to an alternate routes seconds after I pass the last exit to avoid the traffic. It still works most of the time - but it fails me often enough to be really frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom