What we really need in a new stadium... | Syracusefan.com

What we really need in a new stadium...

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
Is a retractable roof. At halftime, open the roof, and have several helicopters fly over and drop in millions and millions of leaves onto the field. Select fans will be brought down onto the field with rakes. Biggest pile wins!

I was hoping for the Dome Dog Drop® but this works too. Plenty of uses for a retractable dome!

If we ever play Rutgers again, they can helicopter directly onto the field.

Is a retractable roof. At halftime, open the roof, and have several helicopters fly over and drop in millions and millions of leaves onto the field. Select fans will be brought down onto the field with rakes. Biggest pile wins!

or we could have helicopters come at halftime to pick up all the students that leave at that time

We could have drones deliver us our beers :)

I prefer these droids to be honest
r2-d2-movie-accessories-4.jpg

LOL. Excellent.

Could also distribute live turkeys from a helicopter for home games on Thanksgiving Weekend.

[media]

Or maybe not.
Ha I was just going to post something like that.

donniesyracuse said:
Is it time to retire the raking leaves joke yet?

Really. I've never missed a game because I had to rake leaves not know anyone else that has. It's the easy shot at locals for attendance woes, that is made usually by out of towners who don't go themselves, when there are real issues that they want to ignore.

Really. I've never missed a game because I had to rake leaves not know anyone else that has. It's the easy shot at locals for attendance woes, that is made usually by out of towners who don't go themselves, when there are real issues that they want to ignore.
lets say 4 hours.

6x a year.

and nobody local wants to go.

yep, lets shoot the alumni who live 4 hours or more away and only go to the Dome 1x a year, yet keep the Orange on tv & relevent with good ratings by blocking out the same 4 hours to watch 12x ayear.

The locals aren't going. Period. Do we really want to blame out of towners on this one? The locals aren't going for the most part. Relying on outside the area code is not the solution.

MadNY3 said:
The locals aren't going. Period. Do we really want to blame out of towners on this one? The locals aren't going for the most part. Relying on outside the area code is not the solution.

Fact is locals don't go as often for many reasons SU brought on themselves and not to rake leaves. And nobody expects out of towners to go to every game, but too few go at all. We certainly don't have a following outside of Syracuse alumni or not.

Fact is locals don't go as often for many reasons SU brought on themselves and not to rake leaves. And nobody expects out of towners to go to every game, but too few go at all. We certainly don't have a following outside of Syracuse alumni or not.

Local fans will come if we win. Bottom line.

We have not won consistently at a national level since 1998. That's 16 years.

Syracuse is a pro fan town - for better or for worse. They're the best when SU wins (i.e. today vs. Pitt) and they're the worst when SU doesn't (i.e. football in the mid-late 2000s).

If Shafer can get some dynamic guys that bring excitement - fans will come. Need to be 8-9 win regular seasons rather than 6-7.

One specific point I will address - the "SU brought on themselves" notion. Get over it.

SUFan44 said:
One specific point I will address - the "SU brought on themselves" notion. Get over it.

Get over what? I go.

But it's a fact that SU chooses where to play games. It's a fact SU chooses to have a donation structure such that the walk up fan who wants to sit between the 20s has to spend up to $300+ for 2 people. It's a fact SU does a poor job marketing. It's a fact that SU chose to remove parking and tailgating areas. That's a start for you. All facts, good or bad decisions, but still facts that impact attendance. Not raking leaves.

MadNY3 said:
How would psu and auburn do in attendance relying on one area code?

KaiserUEO said:
lets say 4 hours. 6x a year. and nobody local wants to go. yep, lets shoot the alumni who live 4 hours or more away and only go to the Dome 1x a year, yet keep the Orange on tv & relevent with good ratings by blocking out the same 4 hours to watch 12x ayear.
How many of them go once a year really

I agree, what successful program doesn't depend on fans outside the local area code? Duke, Florida, Notre Dame, UVA, Va Tech etc - any of them have enough in their area codes to support their teams without a strong alumni presence? What about the North Carolina schools - is there enough population in the 919 area code to support NC ST, UNC, Duke without alumni? Heck everyone said the NYC, Boston, NJ, Connecticut, Philly, DC area fans would fill MetLife - didn't happen - not close.

I agree, what successful program doesn't depend on fans outside the local area code? Duke, Florida, Notre Dame, UVA, Va Tech etc - any of them have enough in their area codes to support their teams without a strong alumni presence? What about the North Carolina schools - is there enough population in the 919 area code to support NC ST, UNC, Duke without alumni? Heck everyone said the NYC, Boston, NJ, Connecticut, Philly, DC area fans would fill MetLife - didn't happen - not close.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, I don't recall the highlighted part being widely asserted. And if it was, any who did make that claim know nothing of the Kickoff Classic games at the Meadowlands where the highest attended featuring SU was back in 1990 against USC - 57293. And that game followed three seasons of 11-0-1; 10-2; and 8-4.

Cheers,
Neil

Actually, they probably only have 1 area code in the state, well auburn anyway.

But state schools, so whatever and I said before...the penn st system rules for uniting everyone.

Actually, they probably only have 1 area code in the state, well auburn anyway.

But state schools, so whatever and I said before...the penn st system rules for uniting everyone.

While State College is in a somewhat remote location, it is 2 hours from Pittsburgh and under 3 from Philly. It has a nice central location from two pretty populous cities. The enrollment of that school is also well north of 50k. The Syracuse Alum base is spread out in NYC, Boston, DC, etc. NYC is by far the closest and is a 4 hour drive. Boston and DC are what, 6?

There are well over 1 million folks in a 2 hour hour radius of the Cuse. Getting 40k of them in the door shouldn't be that big of a challenge.