What will it take to win a NC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What will it take to win a NC?

Absolutely NOT any attempt to suggest JB's approach dooms SU to failure. The defense has been sensational. I was more suggesting and hoping the Orange develop something comparable on offense as what the defense does. Read react and other motion offenses allow teams with lesser quality athletes compete against teams with players like the five star ones on Kentucky and Kansas. We play team defense because it's very effective. I was suggesting it would be cool if we had some kind of team offense that was also effective.

Just out of curiosity, are you just being too sensitive or do you think JB's approach is absolutely perfect and beyond any criticism or improvement?

No coach's approach is absolutely perfect and beyond criticism or improvement, including JB's. I think most successful coaches are consistently tinkering with and refining their approach to the game.

I think JB's approach to offense and defense has evolved over time and will likely continue to change in the future based on the players he has to work with in a given year.

I think there is no perfect, time-tested formula for winning a national championship in college basketball.

I think winning a national championship is far more difficult than many seem to believe.

I think there is a great deal of luck involved and that consistently putting yourself in the mix of contenders will ultimately maximize your chances of winning one.

Last edited:
I don't know. Looking back on the season, it seems to me that it's all about making some shots. In spite of the disappointing end, if we had made 4 more shots, we'd of lost at least two less games, played in NYC and then who knows...the margin for error is really thin and winning a NC is really hard.

That said, we need to continue emphasizing defense, and work harder on offense to get people shots. Then it's up to the players to make them. I always see the glass half full (my orange glasses perhaps) and think we can win it all every year. JB really is right, it's about making shots...
You are who you are. It would be one thing to say that if we were a good shooting team that happened to have a bad shooting night in a particular game. To me the lack of shot making was a given - it was only a matter of which game it would bite us in the butt. It just happened a game or so earlier than many here expected.

Just like the 2-3 zone the Orange need to develop some kind of motion system on offense. For the last couple of seasons we've counted on our players creating offense in isolation. Once teams figure out each player's tendencies on offense, we were toast and easy to defend against. The 2-3 zone takes a lot of work to teach in practice. But I think the Orange need to spend more time developing the offense in such a way that is not depended on players in isolation. Some kind of read-react type offensive.

I really liked what Iowa State was doing on offense. They were fun to watch.

Just wondering. In the last forty years, has any team other than SU won the NC playing zone?

Just wondering. In the last forty years, has any team other than SU won the NC playing zone?

Our defense has been sensational. The problem this last season towards the end was our offense. I think our six players got banged up towards the end of the season and it took it's toll.

My original post was on the idea that having an offensive system would allow other players to participate. The team with AO probably had the best chance to win a NC. There have been a lot times over my years of watching Orange basketball where the defense has been sensational and the offense is just okay. I was just wondering if we could start using some kind of motion offense whether it would help. But today's players are probably not interested in developing team offense. Bobby Knight won 3 national championships with his system. Maybe pick-n-rolls and dribble penetration are the only things that players are willing to do.

Again, just because I am being critical doesn't mean I think JB has to be fired. That's an over the top interpretation of this thread.

2010's offense worked real well and was able to run alot of isolation because one AO could back down his man at will and shoot well. And two rautins and wes johnson could shoot almost just as good with pressure on them as off of them,which in a way is kind of isolation. Those three had toughness and a ton of seniority to their game.

Also note Scoop and joseph were isolation scorers at different times through that year, but they also could get shut down quite a bit. Scoop became a better isolation player two years later there is no question about it. I wonder how it could have changed the team if we put 5th year senior scoop on it instead. He would have had a better outside shot to kickout to, and a better dribble drive no doubt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom