What Worries Me About This... | Syracusefan.com

What Worries Me About This...

bnoro

Lurker
What worries me about this potential move is that we are so late into the game here that it is going to me a major struggle to find candidates that would be willing to move. Signing day is almost a month away, and getting the framework set up is going to be tough. Unless we promote from within it will also be tough keeping our staff together, IMO. That's what worries me.

I'd be on board with giving Shafer Hackett a chance though if this all goes down.

EDIT: Fingers were thinking Shafer, mind was thinking Hackett. Whoops.

There are many excellent candidates out there. The position is more attractive now than it's been in over a decade or more. We'll be fine.

I wouldn't. I don't think Shafer is HC material. At least not at this level anyways. For the same reason Kevin Rogers was never given a shot. I think coordinators are either identified early in careers as possible HC candidates (ie. Marrone or Kiffin) or they have to prove at lower levels that they can have success as HC. Otherwise you end up hiring a Sapaziani or Locksley.

I do not want to see DM leave in any way shape or form but the reality of any job today is that either you or your employer can decide to part ways at anytime for many or no reason at all. There is no such thing as the indispensible man. If he were to leave, I think it would a serious set back to the program from the perspective that it would signal to me that the Univ was not willing to make the financial commitment to take this thing to the next level and that is just plain foolish. FB drives the revenue bus, that is all.

I also fully agree that we would have a hard time finding a decent replacement given the timing here.

Hackett.

Would make the most sense, but I think he goes with DM if he leaves.

That hire would keep the staff together, with the exception of a maybe a few.

I also think the deep rooted problems trump the short term issues like recruiting classes and immediate replacements.

Specifically how did the University (whether it be there fault or not) let this come to where we are today? You couldn't paint a better picture of a coach 4 years ago that you wanted to come in here, have solid success and stay for the long term; + 10 years.

But yet, the University had let whatever problems get to such a point that the coach is dying to go and interview for the Bills. A job that many many people have passed on.

That is the bigger problem here

I wouldn't. I don't think Shafer is HC material. At least not at this level anyways. For the same reason Kevin Rogers was never given a shot. I think coordinators are either identified early in careers as possible HC candidates (ie. Marrone or Kiffin) or they have to prove at lower levels that they can have success as HC. Otherwise you end up hiring a Sapaziani or Locksley.
I meant Hackett in the original post but Shafer was on my mind from another thread. I edited the post.

I don't know how attractive we are, especially if we can't raise money to upgrade our facilities. On top of that, I really dread looking for another head coach, it's such a crap shoot, I would hate for us to stumble on another Grob, that would be the nail in the coffin.

There are many excellent candidates out there. The position is more attractive now than it's been in over a decade or more. We'll be fine.

There are?

When Robinson got bounced there were four HC's in the MAC/CUSA that were obvious candidates, Golden, Holtz, Gill, Hoke. You had two alums that were well positioned, credible, with strong resumes in Edsall and Marrone.

I don't think there is one guy in the MAC/CUSA that is obvious. SU is not bringing in O'Leary or Solich in their mid 60's and there really isn't anybody else. There are a bunch of guys with SU ties that are postion coaches (Stoutland, Warner, Reagan, Walker) that are doing well in their careers, but are any HC material? Coordinators, maybe.

IMO they should be looking at a guy like Phil Montgomery, the OC at Baylor who has been with Art Briles for 14 years. Problem with him is that his whole career has been in Texas, that might also be a benefit. He would need to have guys on staff familar with the east coast to cover recruiting.

I also think the deep rooted problems trump the short term issues like recruiting classes and immediate replacements.

Specifically how did the University (whether it be there fault or not) let this come to where we are today? You couldn't paint a better picture of a coach 4 years ago that you wanted to come in here, have solid success and stay for the long term; + 10 years.

But yet, the University had let whatever problems get to such a point that the coach is dying to go and interview for the Bills. A job that many many people have passed on.

That is the bigger problem here

NFL > SU

The guy had not been in Syracuse for over 20 years. The romance of the job smacked against reality.

Hackett.

Hiring Hackett would be a huge risk that would either be a great decision or somewhat of a disaster IMO... but I believe he has the make up of a head coach and personality that could really work well at Syracuse as a HC... He has a very dynamic personality, knows the school at this point. Like I said, it is a huge risk because he is still a young guy. If he could keep the defense in place and hire a solid OC as well as get Anselmo to stick for at least another year.

I have no issue with Shafer though either, he is a highly intelligent guy, likes the area, is a solid coordinaor and could do very well here. I also like the fact that he has seen the ugly side of coaching for a factory school. Shafer would do just fine, IMO. Don't know the upside but who would, I would be fine with either him or Hack, but I think Hack will go with Marrone, I have very little doubt.

I would be very surprised if Shafer wasn't the next HC. I also think that Hack and or Shafer could keep the class together for the most part

I meant Hackett in the original post but Shafer was on my mind from another thread. I edited the post.

I would definitely like to see what Hackett can do. He's proven he can coordinate an offense plus he reminds me of Mike Hopkins in terms of energy and personality.

Still a downgrade from Doug IMO. Plus, I think he would leave once he had success. Also, what he has seen from the University in the handling of DM has to be detrimental to his perception of the position.

Hiring Hackett would be a huge risk that would either be a great decision or somewhat of a disaster IMO... but I believe he has the make up of a head coach and personality that could really work well at Syracuse as a HC... He has a very dynamic personality, knows the school at this point. Like I said, it is a huge risk because he is still a young guy. If he could keep the defense in place and hire a solid OC as well as get Anselmo to stick for at least another year.

I have no issue with Shafer though either, he is a highly intelligent guy, likes the area, is a solid coordinaor and could do very well here. I also like the fact that he has seen the ugly side of coaching for a factory school. Shafer would do just fine, IMO. Don't know the upside but who would, I would be fine with either him or Hack, but I think Hack will go with Marrone, I have very little doubt.

I would be very surprised if Shafer wasn't the next HC. I also think that Hack and or Shafer could keep the class together for the most part

If Shafer takes the job the defensive side of the staff would stay, but you would need to build the offense from scratch. I don't know if Wheatley is in a hurry to leave, but I agree the rest would be gone.

NFL > SU

The guy had not been in Syracuse for over 20 years. The romance of the job smacked against reality.

I think you had it at the first point. The last sentence probably doesn't apply as much as this board seems to think. I think he knew he signed onto an uphill battle in many ways, but the ACC already makes it a more attractive job than the one he originally accepted.

If the NFL is interested, it's tough to say no. Unless you're one of those guys who only wanted college. Marrone spent a lot of time in the NFL, so he's not one of those guys. A large # of coaches aren't. And it's perfectly fine.

If Shafer takes the job the defensive side of the staff would stay, but you would need to build the offense from scratch. I don't know if Wheatley is in a hurry to leave, but I agree the rest would be gone.

Who would Marrone take with him? And who, of that group, would take the SU job over the NFL opportunity?

Shafer seems like the obvious choice as far as that goes.

I just don't want him to become our Spaziani. So they really need to vet this one. But given the options of who is out there, this won't be easy.

For now, since I don't get paid to make such decisions, I'm just going to keep hoping it doesn't come to that.

Would love if we can somehow keep Hackett and Shafer, but I'm guessing whoever we don't hire as HC would go with Marrone. The tough thing about Marrone leaving is for the 1st time since Mcnabb was here, we had an exciting offense. Keeping Hackett would be the only shot at keeping it and we could also use him to develop our next QB. Maybe we can keep as HC and one as Asst/HC w/ a salary boost, but would be tough to pull off.

Does he bring the old man in to help him out?
Thoughts of USC failure dancing in my head...:eek:

But it might be good if he came in as a former HC to help mentor.

There are?

When Robinson got bounced there were four HC's in the MAC/CUSA that were obvious candidates, Golden, Holtz, Gill, Hoke. You had two alums that were well positioned, credible, with strong resumes in Edsall and Marrone.

I don't think there is one guy in the MAC/CUSA that is obvious. SU is not bringing in O'Leary or Solich in their mid 60's and there really isn't anybody else. There are a bunch of guys with SU ties that are postion coaches (Stoutland, Warner, Reagan, Walker) that are doing well in their careers, but are any HC material? Coordinators, maybe.

IMO they should be looking at a guy like Phil Montgomery, the OC at Baylor who has been with Art Briles for 14 years. Problem with him is that his whole career has been in Texas, that might also be a benefit. He would need to have guys on staff familar with the east coast to cover recruiting.

I don't think Syracuse would be short on applicants. Is it plausible to look at the top D1AA coaches who are already head coaches and who win a lot?

I like the guy at Old Dominion - Bob Wilder.

Wouldn't have said this without the radical change in philosophy on offense, but Hackett is kind of interesting.

Hackett would be an interesting choice to say the least. A Fitzpatrick or Bob Stoops kind of career on the hill would be nice.

Or, just move Hopkins over from the basketball team so he can get some head coaching experience until Boeheim retires.

Wasn't Donnie Henderson a finalist during the GROB search? Not sure if he was actually interviewed though. Now there's an additional point of reference with him being on the staff. Wouldn't be my choice, but you never know how TGD thinks or who will be left after DM takes some staff and others get nervous and grab other opportunities during the coaching search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom