What Worries Me About This... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What Worries Me About This...

Me thinks that with or without Marrone, we are losing at least 1 assistant coach if not 5.

I hope everyone here knows that the assistant coach money pool is 1 of, if not, the biggest factors. After this year you have to almost assume Wheatley is gone. Rob Moore is prob getting looks. We havent even discussed our record breaking OC or our miracle working DC. Nor have we talked about Adkins.

We cant possibly give them all raises to what they deserve and I am sure that freaks out Marrone.

Me thinks that with or without Marrone, we are losing at least 1 assistant coach if not 5.
We cant possibly give them all raises to what they deserve and I am sure that freaks out Marrone.
Yes we can, with our entry into the ACC. We absolutely can. If we don't, it is because someone chooses not to.

I don't get it... why would any good coach come here? If we all know why Marrone is leaving then I can guarantee just about all potential coaches will know as well. What good coach will want to walk in here knowing that the school can't get enough money to compete with the ACC in terms of facilities? If Marrone can't recruit 4 and 5 stars here a newbie will have no chance at all.

Because if Marrone leaves then there are presumably some good candidates currently coaching in the MAC, D-1AA, etc. who would view coming to an ACC school as a HUGE upgrade.

People are crazy, they really are. Yeah, some dude coaching at New Hampshire or whatever won't come to SU.

Oh Lord

What worries me about this potential move is that we are so late into the game here that it is going to me a major struggle to find candidates that would be willing to move. Signing day is almost a month away, and getting the framework set up is going to be tough. Unless we promote from within it will also be tough keeping our staff together, IMO. That's what worries me.

I'd be on board with giving Shafer Hackett a chance though if this all goes down.

EDIT: Fingers were thinking Shafer, mind was thinking Hackett. Whoops.

If ( a BIG if ) DM were to leave for an NFL gig, then based upon the timing of this, I think we have to promote internally for the short term with either Hackett, Schafer, or possibly Aselmo even. Given the circumstances, I don't see much else as an option. Hard to pull everything together this quickly. Look what happened the last time we hired a coach fast.. dare I even say GRob.

I don't get it... why would any good coach come here? If we all know why Marrone is leaving then I can guarantee just about all potential coaches will know as well. What good coach will want to walk in here knowing that the school can't get enough money to compete with the ACC in terms of facilities? If Marrone can't recruit 4 and 5 stars here a newbie will have no chance at all.

Why do some of you people talk about recruiting 5-star players all the time. We recruit the northeast. There are few 5-star players up here. Those that exist head south or go to State Penn or Notre Dame.

If Doug or his successor can be given the tools to successfully land classes of 3 and 4 star players I'll be very happy.

If ( a BIG if ) DM were to leave for an NFL gig, then based upon the timing of this, I think we have to promote internally for the short term with either Hackett, Schafer, or possibly Aselmo even. Given the circumstances, I don't see much else as an option. Hard to pull everything together this quickly. Look what happened the last time we hired a coach fast.. dare I even say GRob.
I would certainly hope that Gross has a better handle on things now, since he has been on the job for 4 years, not one month. Contingencies. Not the same situation, in that regard.

What worries me about this potential move is that we are so late into the game here that it is going to me a major struggle to find candidates that would be willing to move. Signing day is almost a month away, and getting the framework set up is going to be tough. Unless we promote from within it will also be tough keeping our staff together, IMO. That's what worries me.

I'd be on board with giving Shafer Hackett a chance though if this all goes down.

EDIT: Fingers were thinking Shafer, mind was thinking Hackett. Whoops.

On the contrary, this is the perfect time to name a replacement. The football season just ended for 99+% of teams college and pro (and high school for that matter), and the game of musical chairs is just beginning.

Coaches leave programs all the time. Unless there is some sort of scandal, it doesn't nomally impact recruiting all that much. If we lose a recruit who is intent on playing for Marrone, we probably get a recruit who is tied to Marrone's replacement.

Yin and yang.

I think our only chance to keep Hackett and Shafer would be to make Hackett HC and keep Shafer at DC.

Shafer coaches a pure college scheme - high risk, high reward. He is a good football mind who could obviously change his scheme, I just don't see him leaving the college game.

Hackett is of great football pedigree and has been diversifying his coaching experience. I see him being far more likely to end up in the NFL with Marrone, just not as an OC right away.

Make Schafer HC, Hackett goes. Make Hackett HC, Shafer stays.

Recruits would LOVE having such a young, relatable guy to come and play for.

Coaches leave programs all the time. Unless there is some sort of scandal, it doesn't nomally impact recruiting all that much. If we lose a recruit who is intent on playing for Marrone, we probably get a recruit who is tied to Marrone's replacement.
Unless we hire someone who can't bring any recruits worth it. Such as a D-1AA coach, or someone from the NFL. Or if we promote from within, and Marrone was the deal-breaker for a recruit.

Recruits would LOVE having such a young, relatable guy to come and play for.
I doubt we end up down this road, but it's amusing to ponder. He strikes me as Kiffin with talent.

Unless we hire someone who can't bring any recruits worth it. Such as a D-1AA coach, or someone from the NFL. Or if we promote from within, and Marrone was the deal-breaker for a recruit.

All of which is entirely possible, yes. I was simply responding in general to some posters who feel that if we lose Marrone our recruiting class will go bust. But I think you know that.

I doubt we end up down this road, but it's amusing to ponder. He strikes me as Kiffin with talent.

Doubt we end up there as well. There would be growing pains but I have no doubt, if we gave him time, Hackett would grow into a fabulous recruiting coach.

Because if Marrone leaves then there are presumably some good candidates currently coaching in the MAC, D-1AA, etc. who would view coming to an ACC school as a HUGE upgrade.

People are crazy, they really are. Yeah, some dude coaching at New Hampshire or whatever won't come to SU.

Oh Lord
Exactly, like when Chip Kelly was the rb coach at UNH. Who would've thought.

If you had to chose between Hackett and Shafer who would you pick? I pick Hackett make Wheatley OC with a big pay raise. If Shafer leaves Henderson or Doust would be a good replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom