What Worries Me About This... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What Worries Me About This...

I remember a few months back when people on this board were clamoring for the coach from Stony Brook to come here.

Me, I never want to see Doug Marrone leave.

Wasn't Donnie Henderson a finalist during the GROB search? Not sure if he was actually interviewed though. Now there's an additional point of reference with him being on the staff. Wouldn't be my choice, but you never know how TGD thinks or who will be left after DM takes some staff and others get nervous and grab other opportunities during the coaching search.
if you could somehow keep Shafer and Hackett on board - maybe give them each a significant bump then I'd be fine with having Henderson as the head coach - not sure why, but I just like the guy and wouldn't mind seeing him be the face of the program for awhile while the coordinators each run their sides of the ball. Can see recruits liking him as well. :noidea:

NFL > SU

The guy had not been in Syracuse for over 20 years. The romance of the job smacked against reality.

And whose fault is that?!?!? Sure, maybe he was a bit naive but doesnt it go without saying that when you are hired by an administration, you are going to have a full level of support to begin your job? To a different degree, the fans are to blame as well for the lack of support. You get what you pay for. If you don't want to support the program by making donations, going to games and spending money, the coach is going to get "purchased" by another fanbase, more willing to support him.

I obviously dont know DM personally, but if he really was going to be here for the long term, he must have assumed that he would have that level of support in the form of administrators, donors, season ticket holders etc.

if you could somehow keep Shafer and Hackett on board - maybe give them each a significant bump then I'd be fine with having Henderson as the head coach - not sure why, but I just like the guy and wouldn't mind seeing him be the face of the program for awhile while the coordinators each run their sides of the ball. Can see recruits liking him as well. :noidea:

Irony that replacing Marrone would be an old guy like Coach Mac. How old was Mac when he was hired and Henderson is what...56? I still see young Hackett leaving with Marrone no matter where he goes.

Irony that replacing Marrone would be an old guy like Coach Mac. How old was Mac when he was hired and Henderson is what...56? I still see young Hackett leaving with Marrone no matter where he goes.
It could be feasible to hire Henderson (or Schafer for that matter) and give Hackett full control of the offense (without the DM safety net) and some sort of HCIW promise. Don't see Schafer staying if Henderson is promoted past him though.

And whose fault is that?!?!? Sure, maybe he was a bit naive but doesnt it go without saying that when you are hired by an administration, you are going to have a full level of support to begin your job? To a different degree, the fans are to blame as well for the lack of support. You get what you pay for. If you don't want to support the program by making donations, going to games and spending money, the coach is going to get "purchased" by another fanbase, more willing to support him.

I obviously dont know DM personally, but if he really was going to be here for the long term, he must have assumed that he would have that level of support in the form of administrators, donors, season ticket holders etc.

It's a lot more complicated than that if my post is correct. The program stunk for a long time, people have moved out of the region for a long time,the seating prices at the Dome are outta wack, an unknown coordinator and alum isn't going to be greated with a ticker tape parade.

It could be feasible to hire Henderson (or Schafer for that matter) and give Hackett full control of the offense (without the DM safety net) and some sort of HCIW promise. Don't see Schafer staying if Henderson is promoted past him though.

You're probably right unless Shafer has no interest in the head coaching job.

It's a lot more complicated than that if my post is correct. The program stunk for a long time, people have moved out of the region for a long time,the seating prices at the Dome are outta wack, an unknown coordinator and alum isn't going to be greated with a ticker tape parade.
I agree with what you are saying. However, its been 4 years of uptrending success, for the most part. To date, we have heard nothing of official contract extensions, ground breaking on a practice facility or any other investments to the program by the University other that minor things like a video board, renovated locker rooms etc. That leads me to believe that DM has a point, especially with the move to a better conference, that if the investments arent made from a University AND fan standpoint, he has no choice but to move on to a program that is willing to invest in him just as he has invested in them.

Sigh. I fell in love. I thought we would be together forever. It wasn't perfect but I thought we were both happy and content. Then my wife got a better offer.

Wasn't Donnie Henderson a finalist during the GROB search? Not sure if he was actually interviewed though. Now there's an additional point of reference with him being on the staff. Wouldn't be my choice, but you never know how TGD thinks or who will be left after DM takes some staff and others get nervous and grab other opportunities during the coaching search.

Yes, Henderson made the final 4 but not the final 2.

I do know that Shafer and his family really like the area and I do know that Wheatley does not want to be a rb coach forever

There are?

When Robinson got bounced there were four HC's in the MAC/CUSA that were obvious candidates, Golden, Holtz, Gill, Hoke. You had two alums that were well positioned, credible, with strong resumes in Edsall and Marrone.

I don't think there is one guy in the MAC/CUSA that is obvious. SU is not bringing in O'Leary or Solich in their mid 60's and there really isn't anybody else. There are a bunch of guys with SU ties that are postion coaches (Stoutland, Warner, Reagan, Walker) that are doing well in their careers, but are any HC material? Coordinators, maybe.

IMO they should be looking at a guy like Phil Montgomery, the OC at Baylor who has been with Art Briles for 14 years. Problem with him is that his whole career has been in Texas, that might also be a benefit. He would need to have guys on staff familar with the east coast to cover recruiting.

Sure there are. The next great coaches are out there, just have to find one of them. That's the hard part, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Tom Herman (Ohio State OC). Pete Lembo (Ball State). Brent Venables (Clemson DC). Dave Clawson (Bowling Green). Chuck Priore (Stony Brook). Pep Hamilton (Stanford OC).

I don't see Shafer as head coach material. I would fully support a Hackett promotion, but he's so young (not likely ready), and his promotion may be looked at as desperate.

Sure there are. The next great coaches are out there, just have to find one of them. That's the hard part, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Tom Herman (Ohio State OC). Pete Lembo (Ball State). Brent Venables (Clemson DC). Dave Clawson (Bowling Green). Chuck Priore (Stony Brook). Pep Hamilton (Stanford OC).

I don't see Shafer as head coach material. I would fully support a Hackett promotion, but he's so young (not likely ready), and his promotion may be looked at as desperate.

Lembo was at Lehigh and Elon before Ball St, and this is only his second season. He's never worked at a BCS school, ever. Clawson is a native New Yorker, but his BCS level experience was the disaster at Tenny as OC that resulted in Fulmer losing his job and he is 22-27 at bowling green.

The rest of realistic candidates are all coordinators, which is fine. My point is that the pool isn't as strong as it was 4 years ago.

Just wondering why some of you think Shafer isn't head coach material? Any details to share?

I do know that Shafer and his family really like the area and I do know that Wheatley does not want to be a rb coach forever

Don't they both have kids that play football for a high school in central ny?

Shafer was rumored to interview for Western Kentucky, then announce he would not be. some speculated that he did in fact interview and didn't get the position. Anybody have clarification on that?

Yes, Henderson made the final 4 but not the final 2.
My first thought was he will be the new Head Coach and he will try and retain Shafer and Hackett. Maybe they stay, maybe not. Disaster ensues. Like I said that was my first thought.

I don't get it... why would any good coach come here? If we all know why Marrone is leaving then I can guarantee just about all potential coaches will know as well. What good coach will want to walk in here knowing that the school can't get enough money to compete with the ACC in terms of facilities? If Marrone can't recruit 4 and 5 stars here a newbie will have no chance at all.

I think Hackett, Wheatley and Moore go with Marrone. Maybe a few others.

I think Shafer stays and may be in line to replace Marrone.

I like Priore at Stony Brook.

If they want somebody who's cheap and somebody who can continue to work NYS connections, they've got to hire a NY guy or somebody already on the staff. If not Hackett or Shafer, it's a pretty damn short list.

I don't get it... why would any good coach come here? If we all know why Marrone is leaving then I can guarantee just about all potential coaches will know as well. What good coach will want to walk in here knowing that the school can't get enough money to compete with the ACC in terms of facilities? If Marrone can't recruit 4 and 5 stars here a newbie will have no chance at all.

1. For the millionth time, if he leaves, it's not just because of facility issues.
2. Another guy won't have the expectations about the atmospherics of the job that Marrone did.
3. The program is in a MUCH better place than it was four years ago.
4. Just because they have struggled with the resources in the recent past and currently doesn't mean that will be the case in the future.

Choices have to be made but a disasterous outcome isn't preordained.

1. For the millionth time, if he leaves, it's not just because of facility issues.
2. Another guy won't have the expectations about the atmospherics of the job that Marrone did.
3. The program is in a MUCH better place than it was four years ago.
4. Just because they have struggled with the resources in the recent past and currently doesn't mean that will be the case in the future.

Choices have to be made but a disasterous outcome isn't preordained.
It's not preordained, but the whole situation scares the hell out of me. Another bad choice and we can very easily be back in the basement in 2 years, especially if there is a disruption in the talent pool caused by ripping up this recruiting class.

I agree that Marrone was probably going to start looking around in another couple years, but I seriously thought it wouldn't be until he had a couple successful ACC campaigns under his belt, and at least one appearance in a top-two ACC bowl game. And we had the indoor practice facility going. That is a handoff point, engine off in the parking space. If he leaves now, it's like jumping out of the car while turning into the lot.

I think Hackett, Wheatley and Moore go with Marrone. Maybe a few others.

I think Shafer stays and may be in line to replace Marrone.

I like Priore at Stony Brook.

That pretty much sums up the worst case scenario imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom