What would happen in a 64-team college football bracket for 2017? | Syracusefan.com

What would happen in a 64-team college football bracket for 2017?

Yeah, but there are a third as many football teams as basketball teams.

South Florida's the hardest 13 seed of all time.

God it would be great if the playoffs were expanded to 16 teams with 4 weekends of meaningful college football games around the Holidays.

It obviously would never happen, but I'd be against it since it would reduce the impact of the regular season. Every game in CFB is huge.

We are seeded ahead of Nebraska, West Virginia, Utah, Minnesota, Boise State, Michigan State. hey, that's refreshing to see. Having 20 starters or so back definitely is putting us on the map, a top 64 map at least.

It obviously would never happen, but I'd be against it since it would reduce the impact of the regular season. Every game in CFB is huge.

I never buy this argument. Every game would still be huge, for seeding purposes and even making the tourney. And if you added home-field hosting, it would even make it more meaningful. All other divisions have a 16 or larger team tournament. Their weekly games don't mean less.

(5) TCU 38, (12) Syracuse 17: Gary Patterson is too good a coach for the Horned Frogs to suffer through a second straight losing season, and they bounce back with a vengeance in 2017. Their younger players only get better down the stretch, and they open the tournament with a dismantling of the Orange.

Apparently, the writer has not seen the new "Orange is the new FAST!" offense. Not sure anyone keeps Syracuse to 17 points this season.

This is a grade A off season post.

The bracket would hold true with chalk unlike hoops. In hoops, any team can get hot from the 3 point line for a night. Football is waaaaay different. Smaller schools might get momentum early, but in the end, its all about size and athleticism in fb. There is no 3 pt line in college fb. No comparison.

I never buy this argument. Every game would still be huge, for seeding purposes and even making the tourney. And if you added home-field hosting, it would even make it more meaningful. All other divisions have a 16 or larger team tournament. Their weekly games don't mean less.

I think 12 teams similar to the NFL would be a good idea. Give the Top 4 teams who had truly elite undefeated or 1-loss regular seasons a bye. Play the "wild card" and "division rounds" at the home field of the higher seeded teams, and then perhaps the semifinals and finals at rotating BCS bowls.

I think 12 teams similar to the NFL would be a good idea. Give the Top 4 teams who had truly elite undefeated or 1-loss regular seasons a bye. Play the "wild card" and "division rounds" at the home field of the higher seeded teams, and then perhaps the semifinals and finals at rotating BCS bowls.

This is college football we are discussing, common sense is not allowed, otherwise this is an excellent post. I would jump to eight teams as a stepping stone and then 5-10 years afterwards expand to the 12 (or perhaps 16 to give the G5 an auto-bid for each conference title winner, ala NCAA hoops tourney).

Keep it simple but 20% or less teams in the playoffs. The season has to mean something, not like the NBA.