What would you do if you were | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What would you do if you were

Looking down the road, 2013 will be a challenge in that he'll be losing his star QB and his two top wide receiver's.
He'd have the same challenges at UT, as many think Brey, Hunter, and Patterson will all declare for the draft, especially since they wouldn't want to play their senior years in a new system. I couldn't blame him if he jumped at the money, but it could be a short term gain if his tenure was short. He could actually make more money at SU long term given it's probably a more stable job with more realistic expectations. Recruiting may be easeir since UT's new facilities are on par with the best in the country. The problem is the in state talent in TN is far below their SEC rivals. I think he's aware of the pro's and con's and would stay where he is. If UT's new coach comes knocking on Adkins's door, he'll have his bags packed before the ink drys on the contract.

Does anyone know why MacPherson left the Orangemen for the Patriots in 1990? Was the money back then THAT much better to coach the worst franchise in the NFL? I know Mac was from NE but I would think that decision weighs on Marrone's mind b/c Mac got blown out in 2 years and was done for after that.

So what you're saying is that it's Dino BBQ vs memphis bbq?
Nope, thats one thing I hope he and I agree on. Memphis BBQ is good and all, but Dino..hands down. Speaking of which, Giant now carries Dino BBQ sauce in the Northern VA region. This is new as of July this year! Makes everywhere feel like home.

If he stays here we will be respected and loved beyond that he could attain anywhere else. Besides, Doug does not have a binder for TN.

Mac was on the downside of his career to the extent he was older and his signature achievement, the 1987 season, was already on the books. He could duplicate it but never top it. Going to the NFL made sense.

Doug is still on the upside of his career. Unless he thinks the structural problems inherent in trying to run A-list football program at a private university in an economically-depressed part of the country are too great, he should stay. I'd like to think there would be career satisfaction in overseeing a successful on-field transition to the ACC and, hopefully, earning an invitation to a major bowl. Both of those achievements will put more fannies in the seats and, when combined with the infusion of cash from the ACC, make for an interesting career project - never mind that all this is being done at his alma mater.

Going to UT is more lucrative, yes, but presents a whole other set of challenges and headaches.

I said this last year, I said this when we were 1-3 and people were piling on Doug and were posting possible coaching candidates and I know I was as frustrated with marrone at the end of last year as anyone, and was pissed off but I truly believe he made a lot of changes in the off season on approach, etc. Doug is not going anywhere for the forseeable future. Like him, love him, question him, whatever but he will be the Syracuse football coach for the forseeable future. 4-8 or 9-3 he wasn't going anywhere despite what people post. He isn't perftec, nobody is but he is a great fit for Syracuse football and if you can make a good buck in Upstate NY it isn't a bad place to raise a familiy either. In addition, I still think Marrone has plenty of unfinished business here and truly believes that 4 years of busting his ass is JUST starting to pay off, why leave now? the future is bright no doubt. It may not be lined with gold but he will put a solid product on the field for years to come, it may not always be 10-2 or 9-3 but we will put a respectable product out there and have some great wins and yes he will have job sercurity as good as you can as a BCS football coach. It's a two way street

They can also pay him and his staff a little more money now.

I think the biggest frustration for him is that the Dome isn't filling up more.

If increased success on the field and ACC membership get us to 45k averages and a few pops up to 49k here and there, he's the happiest man in the business.

Mac was on the downside of his career to the extent he was older and his signature achievement, the 1987 season, was already on the books. He could duplicate it but never top it. Going to the NFL made sense.

Doug is still on the upside of his career. Unless he thinks the structural problems inherent in trying to run A-list football program at a private university in an economically-depressed part of the country are too great, he should stay. I'd like to think there would be career satisfaction in overseeing a successful on-field transition to the ACC and, hopefully, earning an invitation to a major bowl. Both of those achievements will put more fannies in the seats and, when combined with the infusion of cash from the ACC, make for an interesting career project - never mind that all this is being done at his alma mater.

Going to UT is more lucrative, yes, but presents a whole other set of challenges and headaches.

We are getting a huge pay raise to go to the ACC. His job is just beginning to bear fruit, and those structural disadvantages will soon be addressed.

They can also pay him and his staff a little more money now.

I think the biggest frustration for him is that the Dome isn't filling up more.

If increased success on the field and ACC membership get us to 45k averages and a few pops up to 49k here and there, he's the happiest man in the business.

When we see next year's schedule, that's bound to be good for another 5K season tickets sold.

Wrong. Doug would be viewed as Rodriguez on steroids. Rodriguez never made all the remarks, repetitively, that Doug did about this being his dream job etc. Rewatch the video of his speech at that hoops game - the highlights of which were Jake here's signature for a very long time. Unless SU has something to do with his departure (a big unless), he would and should be blacklisted extraordinaire.

Completely different fanbase. We'd shrug and move forward.

Nice to be wanted. Doug M is in somewhat of a drivers seat here. They need to step up to the table and pay him at least a top 50 coaching salary with his extension. If TGD and SU dont do that, can anyone blame him for leaving?

I would be pissed if he left for another School. If it was an NFL job I would be cool with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom