What | Syracusefan.com

What

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Stopped in Wegmans to see if they had college football preview magazines in Johnson City ……Lindys Big Ten , No ACC. Penn State is 31/2 hours. SU is 70 minutes. This is a problem.

Stopped in Wegmans to see if they had college football preview magazines in Johnson City ……Lindys Big Ten , No ACC. Penn State is 31/2 hours. SU is 70 minutes. This is a problem.
That's gotta be super frustrating. I would be furious. I don't get it

Always been that way in the Tier, STO. 1. Penn State, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Other random powers, 4. Cortland State, and coming in at #5 on the local giveashite meter is Syracuse. It is insane to hear all the Penn State and Notre Dame road trips when the In-State local team is an hour away, and has had numerous Section 4 players (albeit not recently).

Always been that way in the Tier, STO. 1. Penn State, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Other random powers, 4. Cortland State, and coming in at #5 on the local giveashite meter is Syracuse. It is insane to hear all the Penn State and Notre Dame road trips when the In-State local team is an hour away, and has had numerous Section 4 players (albeit not recently).
Yea, I know , no National Preview so no ND, at least I can take solace in that. But it still sucks.

I used to get the Athlon mag every season, but only if there was an SU player on the cover.

Looks like there's a NC/BC cover, and a PSU cover, besides the National one. Nothing else for the Northeast..

7987.jpg

7985.jpg

7986.jpg

Exactly. Because as they say themselves on the cover...money talks.

Yep. Graduated from JC.

PSU has a crazy following in that area. ND, too, to an extent. I find that's usually a bit of an older crowd.

Lot of Cortaca Jug talk.

Syracuse, eh.

It's also crazy to see people who were moderately interested in Cuse football when I was in middle and high school just not care at all. It's all B1G talk. Wouldn't surprised if Michigan has a really high number of fans in that area, too.

Yep. Graduated from JC.

PSU has a crazy following in that area. ND, too, to an extent. I find that's usually a bit of an older crowd.

Lot of Cortaca Jug talk.

Syracuse, eh.

It's also crazy to see people who were moderately interested in Cuse football when I was in middle and high school just not care at all. It's all B1G talk. Wouldn't surprised if Michigan has a really high number of fans in that area, too.

Yes I am about 30 minutes up 81N from Binghamton/Southern Tier area and its amazing how many Penn St. and Notre Dame football fans there are here. Many times charter busses/limo stlye busses are arranged to bring people down the State College and back for games.. Nothing like that for SU and we're 30 min away from the Dome.

But only football .. when it switches to basketball, the majority are SU Fan it seems.

I dont know if its pro PSU or anti Su talk in the area.. I think its apathy towards college football mostly. You can get people to talk about SU basketball pretty easily but talking about college ball is hard in most of NY.. its much more pro football focused.

I worked down in Owego and lived in Vestal for two years. It’s about a 50/50 split in fans between SU and Penn St down there with more Penn St graduates working down there.

Per Phil Steeles' site, only Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million are the only sellers of his magazine. But I went to B & N and I was able to pre-order the '22 issue with free mailing since on B&N they say not available until 7/8 and with gas prices up, better instead of running to the other side of Syracuse (or wherever-) to get this years' issue. In the past, pre-Covid, was able to get it at either Target or Wegman's, now, neither carry it...On Steeles' site, it would cost $32, for s&h on 1 issue to ship by mail.

Yes I am about 30 minutes up 81N from Binghamton/Southern Tier area and its amazing how many Penn St. and Notre Dame football fans there are here. Many times charter busses/limo stlye busses are arranged to bring people down the State College and back for games.. Nothing like that for SU and we're 30 min away from the Dome.

But only football .. when it switches to basketball, the majority are SU Fan it seems.

Yep, for sure. College bball is Cuse.

I dont know if its pro PSU or anti Su talk in the area.. I think its apathy towards college football mostly. You can get people to talk about SU basketball pretty easily but talking about college ball is hard in most of NY.. its much more pro football focused.

Yep, Giants/Bills is way more talked about than almost any other team/sport.

I would have to imagine that the mighty Ithaca College Bombers would fall under #3 "Other random powers" ahead of SUNY Cortland. :)