What's Boeheim telling '23 recruits? | Syracusefan.com

What's Boeheim telling '23 recruits?

Sbucketball

All Conference
When asked about retirement during the 21-22 season, Boeheim said he told 2022 recruits during the recruitment process that he'll be their coach (indicating he promised at least one more year). Anyone know what he's saying to 2023 recruits?

The 2023 class has been quiet, and I wonder what the message is. Would be tough to recruit if JB isn't guaranteeing he'll be their coach, especially if they don't reveal the coach in waiting (if there is one). Also could be quiet because 2022 has 6 recruits so 2023 guys might look somewhere with less guys 1 year ahead of them. Probably will be a very small class, and if a lot of the 2022 guys transfer after next year, in addition to three upperclassmen potentially leaving (Joe, Sy, Jesse), we'll need to hit the portal hard.

When asked about retirement during the 21-22 season, Boeheim said he told 2022 recruits during the recruitment process that he'll be their coach (indicating he promised at least one more year). Anyone know what he's saying to 2023 recruits?

The 2023 class has been quiet, and I wonder what the message is. Would be tough to recruit if JB isn't guaranteeing he'll be their coach, especially if they don't reveal the coach in waiting (if there is one). Also could be quiet because 2022 has 6 recruits so 2023 guys might look somewhere with less guys 1 year ahead of them. Probably will be a very small class, and if a lot of the 2022 guys transfer after next year, in addition to three upperclassmen potentially leaving (Joe, Sy, Jesse), we'll need to hit the portal hard.
Carmelo Anthony was part of a small class too.

Now that we know that we are going there would expect that JB will still be the coach.
JB wasn't a fan of the last Maui trip.

Carmelo Anthony was part of a small class too.
If everyone or almost everyone stays, we'll be totally fine in two years. In fact, we'll be good. It would only be a problem if there's another mass exodus like in 2021. I think we are certain to get a small 2023 class and that's fine. The question is more based on my curiosity about the future of the head coaching position. If they're out there telling everyone they offer that JB will still be there, I'm surprised the media hasn't reported that and/or kids haven't repeated it. If they're out there telling everyone that JB will likely not be there, I'd be even more surprised that it hasn't gotten out. And I think they have to say something to the kids -- not many recruits would commit without knowing who they're committing to.

This is a good question, is he explaining the iron clad plan?

I predict a 2 man class. A shooting guard, since PG should set for the future and another PF/C.

This is a good question, is he explaining the iron clad plan?

I predict a 2 man class. A shooting guard, since PG should set for the future and another PF/C.
In this day and age, you almost have to plan for half the roster to leave every year. Not just here, it's everywhere.

This is a great topic that I've been wondering about myself, given that JB knows when he will retire. I believe that SU has offered schollies to about 15 guys in 2023, but there just doesn't seem to be much doing as far as OVs, SU "prioritizing" certain prospects, etc. I don't have inside info, but as far as I can tell, perhaps SU has the best shot with Reid D. and Joseph E. in this class. Thoughts??

This is a great topic that I've been wondering about myself, given that JB knows when he will retire. I believe that SU has offered schollies to about 15 guys in 2023, but there just doesn't seem to be much doing as far as OVs, SU "prioritizing" certain prospects, etc. I don't have inside info, but as far as I can tell, perhaps SU has the best shot with Reid D. and Joseph E. in this class. Thoughts??
I'm not so sure JB does know exactly when he'll retire. Buddy recently said that he thinks his dad will retire in 1-3 years, but JB doesn't even talk about it with his family (which, of course, may not be true and Buddy may know more than he's letting on). The ironclad plan could be that when JB retires, which is likely in 1-3 years but can be whenever JB sees fit, Red takes over, or perhaps Hop returns. I didn't take the "ironclad plan" to necessarily guarantee JB has a set-in-stone expiration date. Although, it makes sense he signed a 5-year contract in 2018 and 2022-23 is his last year, and he'll retire after next season. Who knows.

They have to be telling the 2023 recruits something. There's no way coaching is just a void topic that no one addresses. It's the most important thing to recruits and their families. Shrugging shoulders would not be an effective recruiting tactic, but then again, they haven't landed any 2023 recruits yet so perhaps they aren't sending a strong message to recruits on this front. I'm surprised their messaging hasn't gotten out to the public -- which may indicate they aren't saying JB will step away. That would be very news-worthy and tough to keep secret.

I'm not sure who Cuse is likely to land for 2023. They cover every position in 2022 and it's impossible for recruits to forecast the depth chart at their position until the freshman start playing games. That makes it difficult to recruit, but I believe the more important endeavor is keeping the 2022 class together and supplementing with a couple transfers after next season. That might be the best move. If they stick together, they'll be good.

Maybe Cuse tried to get so many 2022 recruits because they knew it would be harder to recruit in 2023 because they wouldn't be able to send a strong message on the coaching front. They set themselves up for success after next year regardless of whether they land good 2023 recruits, so long as they can retain talent.

My guess is we get Reid, Estrella, Kingsley, and Autry ideally

It's odd, since I just did the filter by '23 croots, and there's a bunch of them with no updates since '21.

example: We offered that Blue Cain kid, but nada since Sept '21.

I guess with such a huge '22 class, we're not going to be as active / more selective for the '23's?

I hope not.
We all know that dudes are gonna leave early, since that's life in Portal Town.

I'm no recruiting analyst, but as far as I can tell, here are the offers in 2023 (though don't quote me on it).

Elijah Fisher-No mention of SU lately
Matas Buzelis-Experts think Duke, Kentucky, WF, FSU, etc.
Gavin Griffiths-Thought SU was prioritizing at one point, but recruitment has blown up
Blue Cain-crickets
Aden Holloway-Recruitment blowing up
GG Jackson-Not a finalist
Joseph Estrella-Decent shot?
D.J. Wagner-Kentucky is the favorite, experts say, but maybe Louisville is making a push?
Papa Kante-No idea, he's mentioned SU in the past, but not lately
Reid Ducharme-Seems SU is prioritizing
Justin Edwards-No mentions of SU, looks like maybe Kentucky, UConn, Penn State, etc.
Simeon Wilcher-UNC commit
Spencer Mahoney-No idea
Kwame Evans Jr.-SU not in his top five (Auburn, Indiana, UCLA, Oregon, Kentucky)
Isaiah Miranda-No recent mentions of SU
Ugonna Kingsley-Just got involved, recruitment is gonna blow up

Now that we know that we are going there would expect that JB will still be the coach.
Though I think he could afford a ticket on his own.

"The ironclad plan is that I am here until Buddy steps in when his pro playing days are over."

If next year isn't his last he will go until he gets the all time win record. 82 -83

He’s over 100 wins behind. At his current rate it ill take him more than five years. Thats not going to happen.
Ok lets say 10 more years.
Actually i think that next season is his last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom