What's Dino Babers' formula for Syracuse recruiting? He's not telling you | Syracusefan.com

What's Dino Babers' formula for Syracuse recruiting? He's not telling you

Was going to post this. Great article and some great positive news for Cuse.

I loved this quote from Babers:
“A lot of people say they have a process to recruiting, but they don’t,” Babers said. “We know what we’re looking for, and when we see it, we don’t care whether six people have offered him or nobody has.”

Everyone gets SOOO caught up in stars and massive offer lists. If you believe Babers is the right guy to lead Cuse, then you have to trust his ability to bring in the recruits he needs to be successful. Is it nice to land some big time recruits and bring in top-25 classes? Yes. But sometimes its more about the fit of the kid in the system/program/school and less about offers (most of which are not commitable anyway) and star rankings.

“A lot of people say they have a process to recruiting, but they don’t,” Babers said. “We know what we’re looking for, and when we see it, we don’t care whether six people have offered him or nobody has.”

Everyone gets SOOO caught up in stars and massive offer lists. If you believe Babers is the right guy to lead Cuse, then you have to trust his ability to bring in the recruits he needs to be successful. Is it nice to land some big time recruits and bring in top-25 classes? Yes. But sometimes its more about the fit of the kid in the system/program/school and less about offers (most of which are not commitable anyway) and star rankings.

Agreed. It's really the only way to really do it right. Especially if you're running a system. Find the best guys who fit, regardless of all else - including location, stars, offers, etc.

... Is it nice to land some big time recruits and bring in top-25 classes? Yes. But sometimes its more about the fit of the kid in the system/program/school and less about offers (most of which are not commitable anyway) and star rankings.

I am sure it is "sometimes", and perhaps what he looks for in an inside receiver is different than what other programs might want (Sean Riley?). There could be other examples. But, in general, there is nothing particular about the prospects SU would like to recruit for most positions. SU is putting out a couple of hundred offers to a wide range of prospects. Babers wants taller DBs and taller LBs -- so do a lot of other programs. He might want a MLB with ideal size and range, to provide deep coverage in Tampa 2 -- not much different than what other coaches would want. He wants tall OTs who can get push and be mobile -- again, nothing unusual about that. He has recruited small RBs (keeping Moe Neal from Shafer's partial class) and larger RBs (Pierre this time, Shaw in the 2016 cycle).

Look at his classes at BGSU and SU, where are the examples of secret sauce?

Agreed. It's really the only way to really do it right. Especially if you're running a system. Find the best guys who fit, regardless of all else - including location, stars, offers, etc.

Yep and not to start a fight with anyone, it's a much better system then putting "a fence around New York". You get the guys that fit your profile from wherever you can get them.

Back in "the foundation is laid" thread I said it.....you got to get the RIGHT players! You may not get the best players but you have to get the right players. I also trust that Dino and staff know what the right player is......

Last edited:
It's easy to see the formula.

A. Get a quarterback that can make quick reads and accurate throws
2. Get large linemen to protect that QB
C. Get fast receivers to catch passes from the QB
D. Defense stuff the size you like
E. Other guys that can run, block and catch passes that aren't receivers or linemen

E. Other guys that can run, block and catch passes that aren't receivers or linemen
F. ????
G. Win

I'd add (prob covered by E): Large bruising RB that can run through arm tackles of a very spread out defense.

I'd add (prob covered by E): Large bruising RB that can run through arm tackles of a very spread out defense.
I mean, yeah, but whatever.

H. Profit

Our new recruiting coordinator?

Screen-Shot-2012-03-30-at-7.40.02-PM-1024x7641.jpg

I don't really believe much of this anymore. Athletes are athletes coaches are coaches. Yeah maybe each system requires things a bit different. Shafer recruited poorly so we had small backers and small safeties who didn't run all that fast etc.

This nonsense of recruiting for a specific system is a bit overblown, IMO recruit the best athletes you can and they will fit your systems just fine. Teams with thes best athletes and best coaches win games.

Yep and not to start a fight with anyone, it's a much better system then putting "a fence around New York". You get the guys that fit your profile from wherever you can get them.
However, I think the strategy Dino is taking could result in us having more NY talent on the roster because he'll take kids that have the measurables but not the offers.

Think we could have 3-5 NY athletes in our 2018 class.

This is a passing offense that wants to run when the numbers says it should be able too. What we dont understand is the WR mix that he feels suits his playing calling best. Some WR can run the deep stuff, some can run the quick stuff, some only catch things when they are wide open and cant handle the tough coverage.

If you can block with the oline like Ala does then its much easier to run the play action and deep balls . The fact that we threw as well as we did with guys not used to the system, Oline that was injured and had issues and rbs that struggled to break tackles, and no TEs who could make the D play the run and still be a threat shows that the play design must still be pretty good.

we had 1 deep threat most of the year so the safeties only really played over the top of 1 guy. We had a bad running game so the safeties only came into the box when they wanted too. We didnt stress most D's with athletes and still moved the ball on most everyone.

To me , i think all 4 issues we had last year can be addressed this year, a bigger RB, an oline that is now older and probably deeper and more bodies at WR and we brought in a couple TEs with promise. the main unknown is will we have a deep threat, it sure looks like they tried to find one.

so back to the recruiting. Maybe Dinos style requires several Phillips types who can get open quickly underneath and not as many 4-5 stars who show off the TDs and catch deep balls? maybe he needs 1-2 guys who can go deep but not to beat double coverage like 4-5 star guys, but guys who can catch it when the safeties have been drawn into the box, kind of Cornelius did last year when he got the shot.

4-5 star guys are the ones who beat double and triples and run by guys, 3 stars who get to the right places against single coverage can do the job if the other things are done well but they dont often show that in HS because they tend to be on the teams that also dont have all the answers.

time will tell..

I don't really believe much of this anymore. Athletes are athletes coaches are coaches. Yeah maybe each system requires things a bit different. Shafer recruited poorly so we had small backers and small safeties who didn't run all that fast etc.

This nonsense of recruiting for a specific system is a bit overblown, IMO recruit the best athletes you can and they will fit your systems just fine. Teams with thes best athletes and best coaches win games.

Agree! This system fit bs is overrated. We want tall and fast and smart recievers like any other program. We want versatile rbs that can run between the tackles and catch a swing pass like any other program. We want a smart qb that can make quick reads like any other program. We want cover corners that can cover in space like any other program...on and on and on...

if what coach says about mid way next year is true then system fit does matter, since we will not be full of kids that the big boys want. if we are sitting here in year 4 still waiting then perhaps it is all about recruiting and not the system.

it may be a bit of both. the offense can make it work with parts the big boys dont need and the D will be functional but never great without some big boy part.

the past has shown us we can be solid without the elite guys on D, and when you find just 1-2 you can become a really solid D. You dont need a team of NFL all pro guys but a couple of solid NFL types can get you by.. maybe we dont find a Freeney every year, but an Art Jones can be a difference maker too.

if what coach says about mid way next year is true then system fit does matter, since we will not be full of kids that the big boys want. if we are sitting here in year 4 still waiting then perhaps it is all about recruiting and not the system.

it may be a bit of both. the offense can make it work with parts the big boys dont need and the D will be functional but never great without some big boy part.

the past has shown us we can be solid without the elite guys on D, and when you find just 1-2 you can become a really solid D. You dont need a team of NFL all pro guys but a couple of solid NFL types can get you by.. maybe we dont find a Freeney every year, but an Art Jones can be a difference maker too.

He didn't say he wasn't going after the guys the big boys want. He said that he was prioritizing his staffs ability to find guys who will play very well in his system. That might be a RB with no P5 offers or a WR with 5 SEC offers.

True - but there is a correlation between stars and wins, even for non-top 25 classes. They do matter.

That said, I do very much believe that DB has a very specific kind of player in mind, and he does have a track record. I'm willing to trust him far more than the vast majority of coaches.

True - but there is a correlation between stars and wins, even for non-top 25 classes. They do matter.

That said, I do very much believe that DB has a very specific kind of player in mind, and he does have a track record. I'm willing to trust him far more than the vast majority of coaches.
Agree. Jim Boeheim passes over higher starred recruits in favor of those with long wingspan who can play in his system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom