What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude...are you really telling me Boeheim is making this up? Go argue with him then.

"We fouled the guys we wanted to foul," said Boeheim, noting that Kansas' Jeff Graves was 2-for-7. "We could see right away they didn't have good rhythm. Any time they got close to the basket, we wanted to foul them."

unbelievable
We did not hack a Shaq Collinson or Graves.
Watch the bleeping game.

We were barely holding on Melo tweaked his back. They missed a ton of FTs in the 2nd half. We fouled them off offensive rebounds which is smarter than letting them dunk or lay it in.

We didn’t hack a player them.
That is when the ball is in play you just foul.
We fouled them off offensive rebound. Which isn’t the same thing.

We were lucky thankfully they shot 12 for 30 if the other poster wants to say Memphis missing FTs was flukey for Kansas.

Man...this is so dumb. Nobody called it "Hack A Shack". Boeheim explained it best.

"We could see right away they didn't have good rhythm. Any time they got close to the basket, we wanted to foul them."

That wasn't just on offensive rebounds. The point is we fouled their bigs as part of the strategy. It worked. Brilliant coaching.

Look at actual statistics, then consider the actual context in which they occurred. Stress fracture in his foot to start the year. Missed some time and suffered for it. Compare the first and second half of that single season. Add in the anecdotes from practice this year. I don't think anyone's saying he will be the best dude on the court next year, but there's enough there to expect significant improvement and ability.

All anyone has to do is look at his bio. After the fracture and he came back and slowly worked his way to more minutes, he did very well.

18 points with three 3s vs a very good cincy team. 14 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts vs UConn. 12 pts vs Tulsa. In the AAC tourney he had 17 and 15 vs Temple and SMU while shooting 10-17. Granted not ACC but not chopped liver either. He improved as the season went along and that was a year ago. Going back to his prep year at Kent he had several 20 point games as well as a couple 30 point games including one against Brewster.

He’ll help us next year and is an offensive oriented player. If he plays good D, all the better. He’ll play some 2 and 3. Reports out of practice are that he’s done very very well and besides having a good stroke, they say he goes very hard to the basket and is aggressive. Will he be a 20ppg stud? No. But he’s going to give us some offense, probably off the bench, that we didn’t have this year off the bench.

Wasn't really miraculous was it? And who says that shot was going in?

What's my agenda again?

So you're going to say that one of the best plays in Syracuse history in a 3 point game for a national title was miraculous especially considering where Warrick was on the court? You're arguing to argue, I'm done here, you just showed you're not doing anything but troll at this point.

Who knows if any of the strategy stuff is true, but it remains true that Kansas effectively shot a fine percentage from the FT line.
15 years ago. I'm not sure how any of it is relevant for the 2019 season.

We did not hack a Shaq Collinson or Graves.
Watch the bleeping game.

We were barely holding on Melo tweaked his back. They missed a ton of FTs in the 2nd half. We fouled them off offensive rebounds which is smarter than letting them dunk or lay it in.

or anytime they were close to the basket? Thanks. Great strategy.

Jim Boeheim disagrees with you.

This thread is making me wish a trip to Cleveland wasn't cancelled.
Watch the game and find for me when Hack a Shaqed a Graves or Collinson?
Not foul off an offensive rebound but Hack A Shaqed then on purpose before they could run a set.

Here is the game.

So you're going to say that one of the best plays in Syracuse history in a 3 point game for a national title was miraculous especially considering where Warrick was on the court? You're arguing to argue, I'm done here, you just showed you're not doing anything but troll at this point.

I'm saying it was a great play. But there's no guaranatee is was going in.

Not foul off an offensive rebound but Hack A Shaqed then on purpose before they could run a set.

Here is the game.

Buddy...I was AT the game. Go argue with Boeheim since you think he's wrong.

You don't think Frank Howard improved from last year? Paschal? Battle? Frank has made a tremendous improvement in every aspect of the game. PC was absolutely untenable as a player last year and has made marked improvements across the board. Battle is a more capable player this year than last.

Chukwu literally put up the same per 40 min numbers as a freshman at Providence 3 years ago. Actually avg'd 11 pts per 40 compared to 8 now. Frank was a 11 pts, 9 ast, 3 steal per 40 min guy last year and is a 16 pts, 5 ast, 2 steal guy this year, not sure which line I'd prefer. Just because these guys are accumulating a bunch of counting stats due to playing 40 mins a game doesn't necessarily mean they are making some kind of jump. Obviously Frank didn't get worse but he's still basically the same guy he was last year with an infinitely long leash instead of a 2 foot one.

I'm saying it was a great play. But there's no guaranatee is was going in.

A 40% chance it was going in is enough for me. Like we've never seen a shot go in at the end of the game.

Too bad nobody blocked Keith Smarts shot, then again, what were the chances of that going in.

Here is the game.

I was there, thanks. Also read what the coach said.

A foul isn't always Frank Howard grabbing a guy in the open court.

Most importantly, read what the coach said.

Alsacs didn't start the thread. I did. I have legit questions about roster management and think JB has done a poor job building his roster over the past 4 years, often times adding guys at the last minute(Thompson/White/Gillon/Thorpe) to field a competitive team.

I have concerns we aren't ever going to get out of this mediocrity because of the roster constantly turning over.

JB's done a good job getting the team in position to at least compete for the tournament this year, but I like a lot of fans are sick of bubble seasons. If you ask Alsacs I was on your side of the argument last December when we stunk, but enough is enough. Turn it around or let someone else figure it out. It shouldn't take 5 years in college basketball to build a contending team in the ACC with our history in college basketball.

Right...with 2 FF's in the last 5 years, it's been terrible. We have a young team. That's life sometimes, especially with sanctions.

It was an amazing play. Warrick was able to sell out on going for the block though because of the time and not having to worry about anything inside the arc.

We had a full roster going into this season.

I know and I gave JB a pass for this year once recruiting crapped the bed, but it would behoove us to avoid this going forward.

A 40% chance it was going in is enough for me. Like we've never seen a shot go in at the end of the game.

Too bad nobody blocked Keith Smarts shot, then again, what were the chances of that going in.

Exactly. a 60 chance he misses. thx

Chukwu literally put up the same per 40 min numbers as a freshman at Providence 3 years ago. Actually avg'd 11 pts per 40 compared to 8 now. Frank was a 11 pts, 9 ast, 3 steal per 40 min guy last year and is a 16 pts, 5 ast, 2 steal guy this year, not sure which line I'd prefer. Just because these guys are accumulating a bunch of counting stats due to playing 40 mins a game doesn't necessarily mean they are making some kind of jump. Obviously Frank didn't get worse but he's still basically the same guy he was last year with an infinitely long leash instead of a 2 foot one.

Come on though. Just watch the players. Frank is a completely different guy. His per 40 was better last year? He dominated against scrubs and could not even function against legit competition so he sat the bench. PC didn't even understand where to be on the court last year, this year there have been games where he was a difference maker. You know it is true. I'm not saying these guys are world beaters but they have clearly improved.

Where is OSHAE going?!?!??

People are just being argumentative. Nobody knows if brissett is leaving. There’s no expectation of that. The argument of what’s the backup if Battle leaves had been answered x3. Carey, Hughes, Boeheim. Even Frank if Washington is healthy and plays some 1 and they slide Frank over. We’re 3 deep at the 2g and possibly 4.

Right...with 2 FF's in the last 5 years, it's been terrible. We have a young team. That's life sometimes, especially with sanctions.

The first FF isn't included in this mediocrity. You're moving the goalposts. Sanctions aren't an excuse anymore. We are past them this year.

Here is the game.

Isn’t hack a shaq for when you’re behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.