What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
We have to get at least Manuel and another perimeter scorer correct?

My fear is we are square back on the bubble in that scenario. Carey/Howard/Bazley as a big 3 won't cut it unless Moyer/Marek drastically improve their shooting ability. It would be the same scenario as this year.

What about Hughes?

I suppose. That's a really small team. I wouldn't be concerned if we played man, but we don't. Carey is only 6'3" and Hughes is 6"5. We saw what happened when we played White on the back line last year.

It would suck losing Brissett - don't get me wrong.

But Bazley is going to be a 3. Moyer would start at the 4 under those circumstances, with Hughes / Dolezaj spelling those two at forward. It wouldn't be a crisis, although again -- it would suck to have Brissett leave.

Without a backup plan it gives an excuse for not being prepared.

If Brissett leaves then I think we have an issue greater than "Guys leaving before they're ready ". I think it turns into there's a greater reason why guys are leaving.

Who left before they were ready? 6 straight first round picks means each was ready.

But Bazley is going to be a 3. Moyer would start at the 4 under those circumstances, with Hughes / Dolezaj spelling those two at forward. It wouldn't be a crisis, although again -- it would suck to have Brissett leave.

I have almost zero faith that Moyer or Marek contribute much more than they did last year.

I have almost zero faith that Moyer or Marek contribute much more than they did last year.

You? Shocker.

; )

I think that it is far more likely that both will have a steady improvement curve, that you'd expect from sophomores. Both played a lot of minutes as frosh. Both will be more physically mature next year. Stands to reason that they'll both improve over the course of the off-season.

Who left before they were ready? 6 straight first round picks means each was ready.

The margin for error was small for a larger percentage of them.

While I don't disagree with them leaving it is odd that not one of them stayed while better players have stayed at other schools.

You? Shocker.

; )

We go through this every year and expect these magical leaps from some guys and they just don't happen.

Maybe in 2 years but I their talent levels are so low from what they've shown on the court that expecting a lot from either one is asking for a lot.

Disagree. Not sure another word besides crisis could describe the situation better. Would have 1 guy returning that can get a bucket and a whole bunch of unknowns. Yep, that is what I would consider a crisis.

We go through this every year and expect these magical leaps from some guys and they just don't happen.

Maybe in 2 years but I their talent levels are so low from what they've shown on the court that expecting a lot from either one is asking for a lot.

Magical leaps? Hell, I'd settle for guys just taking a step forward in any fashion at this point. Haven't seen a leap from a single player on the roster since Rak.

You haven't seen examples of the sophomore leap before? Okay...

And for the record, who said anything about a "magical leap?" Under the circumstances specified above [i.e., Brissett leaves], I'd expect Moyer to slide back into the starting lineup, and be a role player who's job it would be to rebound, defend, and score a bit as a complimentary piece of the lineup. Those are certainly things he can do, especially if he improves in the offseason.

I think Marek comes on. He has shown some skills. With some added strength and having a year of not only college b-ball experience but American life experience under his belt, I think we’ll see a more comfortable, physically ready and consistent player.

It's a bubble team at best if we add nobody. We can't keep playing 2 people who can't score. The definition of doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is insanity.

Probably. I do think it’s a “right side of the bubble” team on paper. There’s certainly more talent and experience and options than this year.

You haven't seen examples of the sophomore leap before? Okay...

And for the record, who said anything about a "magical leap?" Under the circumstances specified above [i.e., Brissett leaves], I'd expect Moyer to slide back into the starting lineup, and be a role player who's job it would be to rebound, defend, and score a bit as a complimentary piece of the lineup. Those are certainly things he can do.

Sure I've seen a leap, but not many from guys who literally can do nothing on the court.

Marek can pass pretty well and Moyer can dunk pretty well and rebound against bad team's. That's pretty much where it ends. They have a very long way to go to be meaningful contributors to this team.

Probably. I do think it’s a “right side of the bubble” team on paper. There’s certainly more talent and experience and options than this year.

Maybe. We need another guy who can make a shot. If this is truly the plan JB needs to adjust his roster management and coaching philosophy going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.