What's really changed? Not much. | Syracusefan.com

What's really changed? Not much.

Townie72

All American
I was having a conversation about the recent conference changes with someone and to make a point I turned on one of the TVs and showed him The Big Ten Network channel.

We get it as part of out Verizon FIOS package in the DC Maryland suburbs. We have had the BTN channel for at least two years.

I realized that I had never watched the channel before. I have scanned across it looking for sports programming, but there was always something better on that what was o one of the other Pac12 games offered on the BTN.

Football - I'm pretty sure I didn't watch a single Big Ten football game this Fall. There are almost always better more interesting games on than the Big Ten slog fest. Unless SU is on, I'll watch the SEC or Notre Dame or Big 12 games and occasionally Oregon or USC. Big Ten games just aren't very interesting with these teams built for cold weather unless they are playing Notre Dame.

Adding Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G football may add cable subcribers, but it does nothing to improve the quality or watchability of B1G football. They haven't improved the product a bit.

Basketball - The addition of Maryland to the Big Ten Basketball makes that league a little better. But, I think Maryland will be less attractive to recruits as most of them go to Maryland to play in the ACC not the Big Ten. I see Maryland fading. Adding Rutgers basketball is the all-time booby prize. Since Rutgers will now be playing in the Big Ten they are even less attractive a basketball school than when they were in the Big East (If that is even possible). Best case this is a "push". The product is no better.

Lacrosse - Adding Maryland lacrosse is a plus. But again, up to this point Maryland recruited lacrosse players based on being in the ACC. This is good news for UVA, JHU and the other schools that MD used to recruit against. The other schools have it in their power by just refusing to schedule Maryland to really freeze them out. Rutgers, of course, is essentially a nonentity and belongs playing Penn State and Ohio State.

Big Ten Lacrosse is a little better, but its not even in the same universe as the upgraded ACC Lacrosse Conference.

ACC Basketball with the Addition of SU, Pitt and Notre Dame is improved even without Maryland.

ACC Lacrosse with SU and ND is also improved even factoring in the loss of Maryland.

Big Ten football with RU and MD is hardly more watchable.

Less has changes than people think.

Yea, nothing much has changed as long as everything stays exactly as it is. But not having Md does suck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Randy Moss answers what the B1G got. It wasn't about on the field performance its all about the money. Also, Maryland with the backing of Under Armour like Oregon with Nike will become a power with the jerseys and recruiting.

The only way that MD doesn't matter is if this doesn't lead to more defections. That is the only thing I'm worried about. I'm nervous that this is just the start of the dismantling of the ACC. I really hope not.

Randy Moss answers what the B1G got. It wasn't about on the field performance its all about the money. Also, Maryland with the backing of Under Armour like Oregon with Nike will become a power with the jerseys and recruiting.

UnderArmor hasn't helped them all that much so far ... or the jerseys. They have had average or below average teams and half empty stadiums

UnderArmor hasn't helped them all that much so far ... or the jerseys. They have had average or below average teams and half empty stadiums
Its year two of the new jerseys and they have lost 4 QBs this year and are playing a HS option QB who was playing LB till week 9. Oregon wasn't built in one or two years. They had the 1995 Rose Bowl, and then Akili Smith. It wasn't until 2001 with Joey Harrington and Chip Kelly becoming the OC in 2006 that Oregon has become a super power with Phil Knight pouring in over 100 million dollars for the program. Give Maryland some time they will do well with Blank pulling a Knight for Maryland. Maryland is a HUGE loss IMO they are have all the makings of being a constant top 25 in years there recruiting has been top 35 the past two years and Locksley can get the top D.C. talent. Plus, MD HS isn't that bad, I see think the B1G hit a HR with MD.

we'll see. I think a lot of the worry here is going to be for naught. Syracuse, at the end of the day, isn't going to be left out in the cold. We don't know what we don't know.

What about thinking outside the box and have the ACC go after someone like Oklahoma and Kansas? Texas would be first prize, but I don't think they're coming and I don't think the ACC could agree to whatever terms it would take to get them in the fold.

Its year two of the new jerseys and they have lost 4 QBs this year and are playing a HS option QB who was playing LB till week 9. Oregon wasn't built in one or two years. They had the 1995 Rose Bowl, and then Akili Smith. It wasn't until 2001 with Joey Harrington and Chip Kelly becoming the OC in 2006 that Oregon has become a super power with Phil Knight pouring in over 100 million dollars for the program. Give Maryland some time they will do well with Blank pulling a Knight for Maryland. Maryland is a HUGE loss IMO they are have all the makings of being a constant top 25 in years there recruiting has been top 35 the past two years and Locksley can get the top D.C. talent. Plus, MD HS isn't that bad, I see think the B1G hit a HR with MD.

You are giving Maryland way, way too much credit. The scenario you painted is far beyond what the most optimistic Terp fan is imagining.

You will be paying more for the BTN. That's what gets me going. Delaney thinks I will pay to have MD in the B1G. Ha ha ha, no. I would sooner cancel by cable service all together and just watch whatever I can get over internet.

B1G Network is in it's infancy stages. When they start adding more programming, eyeballs will start shifting to it. Also, the major companies are behind these networks (Disney via ESPN with the SEC, Fox with B1G network). When the programming starts getting more stable (more Florida games on the SEC network as an example), more and more people will start demanding the network (and the network will start to grow to DC, NYC, etc, where Gator fans are present), generating more revenue for SEC Network. At the same time, Disney will bundle it's negotiation with all cable providers (DirectTV, Dish, Time Warner, Comcast, etc), meaning, if the cable providers want to show ABC, Disney, ESPN, etc (and they will have to to keep viewers happy), people like us, whether you are in DC, or elsewhere, will start paying for SEC Network (and Disney will continue to raise the price every year) unless you don't want cable/satellite (which probably a very small percentage of the population are ready to do).

I'm sure those networks will be attractive to many. But still, bundles are pricing themselves out of the market. The fact that much of the same programming is available with just a broadband internet connection will only accelerate the process.

B1G Network is in it's infancy stages. When they start adding more programming, eyeballs will start shifting to it. Also, the major companies are behind these networks (Disney via ESPN with the SEC, Fox with B1G network). When the programming starts getting more stable (more Florida games on the SEC network as an example), more and more people will start demanding the network (and the network will start to grow to DC, NYC, etc, where Gator fans are present), generating more revenue for SEC Network. At the same time, Disney will bundle it's negotiation with all cable providers (DirectTV, Dish, Time Warner, Comcast, etc), meaning, if the cable providers want to show ABC, Disney, ESPN, etc (and they will have to to keep viewers happy), people like us, whether you are in DC, or elsewhere, will start paying for SEC Network (and Disney will continue to raise the price every year) unless you don't want cable/satellite (which probably a very small percentage of the population are ready to do).
what programming are you going to add? people watch for the live sports, not for the "Wonder what Ron Zook ate for supper tonight?"

what programming are you going to add? people watch for the live sports, not for the "Wonder what Ron Zook ate for supper tonight?"

Maryland vs. Rutgers, haven't you heard? ;)

Honest to God. Anytime I've happened upon the BTN I'm struck by the blandness of it - much like the league itself.

If the ACC only loses Maryland and adds Lville the league will actually be much stronger in both football amd hoops. If adding Lville keeps fsu happy until the 5 year look in the acc will be worth more than the big 12 and acc teams will no longer be low hanging fruit.

If Notre Dame were to join the acc could then make a powerplay for a big program to get them to 16 teams.

You are giving Maryland way, way too much credit. The scenario you painted is far beyond what the most optimistic Terp fan is imagining.
Maryland will be a player with Under Armour influence they will be a East Coast version of Oregon. Edsall is holding them back now, but their next coach if he keeps Locksley who will recruit D.C. for them will turn Maryland into a consistent top 25. This is my opinion, and not fact, but I think Maryland will thrive with their move to the B1G.

Maryland will be a player with Under Armour influence they will be a East Coast version of Oregon. Edsall is holding them back now, but their next coach if he keeps Locksley who will recruit D.C. for them will turn Maryland into a consistent top 25. This is my opinion, and not fact, but I think Maryland will thrive with their move to the B1G.
He better hope Locksley doesn't punch a recruit in the face.

Alsacs - Maryland will get smoked sorry for a long time to come.

Anyway, I think 3 schools are left in play for a "northern" conference - Kansas, UVA and UConn. I believe all 3 are land grant state universities. Stop looking at on field performance - look at markets. Kansas fills out the west end - get them before PAC 10. If UVA holds with VT, then UConn brings the Boston-NY market corridor. I'm talking long term business strategy here.

My guess is UConn - Kansas. The eastern most pod would be Penn St - Rutgers - Maryland - UConn with Penn State the anchor for football and UConn for basketball. I bet UConn brings more cable sets to the table than UVA.

So we have the Eastern pod. The western pod would be Nebraska - Iowa - Minny - Kansas with Nebraska the football anchor and Kansas the basketball anchor.

Yes I know basketball won't be in a pod system but it works for all 4 east & west pods for interest and recruiting and interested viewership on both the football & basketball level. Maybe you play your pod teams twice a year for an 18 game conference. Remember the BTN needs interested parties to watch the content.

I agree with the original post. You need eyeballs and compelling football (and to a lesser degree, basketball). They added potential viewers and added two bottom-feeders. Outside of the Mich and Ohio State game, I really find B1G Ten football unwatchable.

Rutgers and Maryland better get off up a hot start, because once you confirm that you can't compete with the big boys, recruiting will take a nose dive.

It's a money grab for Maryland and the B1G Ten - has nothing to do with the product on the field. That will come back to bite both. I can't fault Rutgers; the needed to jump ship.

Honest to God. Anytime I've happened upon the BTN I'm struck by the blandness of it - much like the league itself.

I would rather watch a Brian Bosworth movie ...

Maryland will be good that is my opinion, if I am wrong I will admit it. They need to fire Edsall and get somebody else in there, but that program will go up with the uniforms and B1G opponents in that stadium.

I agree with the original post. You need eyeballs and compelling football (and to a lesser degree, basketball). They added potential viewers and added two bottom-feeders. Outside of the Mich and Ohio State game, I really find B1G Ten football unwatchable.

Rutgers and Maryland better get off up a hot start, because once you confirm that you can't compete with the big boys, recruiting will take a nose dive.

It's a money grab for Maryland and the B1G Ten - has nothing to do with the product on the field. That will come back to bite both. I can't fault Rutgers; the needed to jump ship.

But it matters nada how MD or rutgirls perform on the field, because it isn't about how many potential viewers turn their games on. There could be zero viewers, it wont matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Was out with the Nike football guys at the MNF game. You have no idea how true this is.

44cuse

Are you a Maryland fan? You seem to be slobbering all over them in every one of your posts. They SUCK!!! They haven't been relevant in anything since 2002. A booster with a sports apparel company isn't going to change that. Sure, in 5 to 10 years they will be able to pay some coach a couple million, but they are never going to be a "destination program". They will be a bottom feeder BiG school and a stepping stone.

I understand you're trying to show how significant this move is, but I think you're grossly overstating the importance of Maryland. They are not a BiG-type school. If Penn State could not succeed in that conference, Maryland has ZERO shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom