What's the greatest game you've ever seen... | Syracusefan.com

What's the greatest game you've ever seen...

SWC75

Bored Historian
...in each of the major team sports? That back-and-forth-and-back NCAA men's lacrosse title game yesterday would be my choice for that sport, although our first title in '83 involved a great comeback and the '93 finish was incredible, (and both games meant more to us than yesterday's game).

Football: The 1981 San Diego Chargers-Miami Dolphins playoff game. The Chargers get off to a 24-0 lead in Miami but the Dolphins close to 24-17, scoring on a hook-and-lateral on the last play of the half. They then tie it up on their first possession of the second half. The Chargers take a 31-24 lead but the Dolphins tie it up again and then take a 38-31 lead. they get the ball back and are driving deep in San Diego territory but fumble. the Chargers drive the length of the field to again tie the game. Then comes four field goal attempts - one at the end of regulation and three in overtime. the first was missed. Two Dolphin attempts were blocked by their 6-6 tight end, Kellen Winslow, who had a rib injury and had to be helped off the field each time. Finally the Charger make on and win it, 41-38.

Baseball: Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. The Pirates were the Met's of the 50's- the least successful franchise until they became respectable at the end of the decade. Their '52 team went 42-112. The broke through and won the pennants in 1960 but got clobbered 3-16, 0-10 and 0-12 by the Yankees. But they won three close games and took a 4-0 lead in game 7. The Yankees then rolled to a 7-4 lead until the Pirates got a break when a bad bounce hit Tony Kubek's Adam's apple, leading to a 5 run inning, including a grans slam by Hal Smith, a journeyman catcher. The Yankees tied it up in the top of the 9th when Rocky Nelson stopped a line drive but couldn't find Mickey Mantle to tag him out before the tying run scored. The next batter grounded out and Bill Mazerosky grabbed a bat.

Basketball: You can't beat the 6OT game.

Hockey: You can't beat the 'Miracle on Ice'.

I haven't watched enough soccer to comment.

Hockey is the easiest for me (wasn’t born yet for “Miracle on Ice”): Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

1994 Game 7, Eastern Conference finals. I was in 8th grade, down the street at my buddies house. Remember it like it happened last week.

College hoops has to be 2003 NC, just for the title implications. Rest of sports I’d have to think a bit about.

Hockey is the easiest for me (wasn’t born yet for “Miracle on Ice”): Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!

1994 Game 7, Eastern Conference finals. I was in 8th grade, down the street at my buddies house. Remember it like it happened last week.

College hoops has to be 2003 NC, just for the title implications. Rest of sports I’d have to think a bit about.
The Miracle on Ice does it for me, but Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! was great!

Replays of the 1960 Cotton Bowl when the Syracuse University football team WON the national championship.
Oh yeah, and the disbelief of overpowering number one Nebraska in the dorm in 1984. They beat us the year before in Lincoln 63 to 7.

2003 Bball NC. Didn’t know if I’d ever see it in my lifetime. Been to Manley field house, been to the Dome, I had season tickets for years. Just awesome.

Miracle on ice. Russia and Finland. Tie.

Game 5 1969 world series the upstart Mets defeat the stalwart Orioles at Shea.

Football: Bills- Oilers comeback game. Granted I am a Bills fan, but wow that was exciting!

As a secondary choice, I would go with the Bills- Giants Super Bowl. The ending sucked, but I can objectively say it was a great game.

Baseball: As a Braves fan, the ending sucked, but I would go with the Twins - Braves World Series Game 7 in 1991.

Secondary choices would be Dodgers-A's Game 1 in 1988 and Mets- Astros NLCS Game 6 in 1986

Basketball: I agree the 6 overtime game is tops. Secondary choices would be Villanova- Georgetown championship in 1985 and Duke-Kentucky regional final in 1992

I am not a hockey fan so no choices there.

Football Super Bowl LII

MLB Game 7 of 2001 WS

NBA Game 6 1998 Finals

NCAAB is obvious

does listening to the knicks beat the lakers in the 73 playoffs on a small transistor radio count.. didnt have a tv, dont even remember if they were on tv at that time yet.. I remember listening to alot of Dr J games back in that time frame with the ABA games.

does listening to the knicks beat the lakers in the 73 playoffs on a small transistor radio count.. didnt have a tv, dont even remember if they were on tv at that time yet.. I remember listening to alot of Dr J games back in that time frame with the ABA games.
They were on TV. I remember watching on a small B&W set in the basement. lol

Patriots/Falcons
Mets/Redsox
SU/WVU*
SU/Gtown1985*
SU/Cornell Lax*
Miracle on Ice
Tiger at The Masters
Tom Watson almost winning the Open Championship at 65

Forum statistics

Threads
Members