What's the story on SU whiffing on the Thompsons? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's the story on SU whiffing on the Thompsons?

@phat, you stated that football players that go Milford or juco then get into SU. My statement is that desko does not have the same pull in admissions at jimmyB or Shafer. I know there have been borderline guys that have been accepted to SU in the past, they are normally one off cases. It is much easier for SU to accept someone with an associates degree, that has proven that can handle college life, as opposed to a borderline high school kid.

Good points. All true.

cheers!

@phat, you stated that football players that go Milford or juco then get into SU. My statement is that desko does not have the same pull in admissions at jimmyB or Shafer. I know there have been borderline guys that have been accepted to SU in the past, they are normally one off cases. It is much easier for SU to accept someone with an associates degree, that has proven that can handle college life, as opposed to a borderline high school kid.
or opposed to the former lax players from nice areas who either drank, fought or stole their way out of SU over the past 20 years. ;-)

Let's suspend this silly Albany vs Syracuse admission standards angle for a second, and accept that dumb as a box of rocks athletes are, or have been, accepted into both schools. I believe Phat was trying to isolate the argument to NCAA standards.

If what Dave is saying is true, and I've no reason to doubt what he believes, one would expect some sanctions for Albany in the future.

If false though, this was a whiff on Desko's part.

not false...i was just talking to one of their relative at work today about it.

it's much easier for a state school to bring in kids who need special academics

SUNY Albany admissions isn't a pushover. They accept about 50% of their 20K applicants w/a GPA range of 3.2 - 3.5. Syracuse's and Albany's admissions standards are nearly identical - Syracuse is slightly, I stress slightly higher.
Syracuse's 2012 incoming class had an average GPA just over 3.6. Methinks a sub-3.0/3.2 GPA is going to be a bit tougher to get in. I know nothing about this case, but from what I read here, it sounds like 2 of the 3 may be well under the normally admissible range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom