What's the story on SU whiffing on the Thompsons? | Syracusefan.com

What's the story on SU whiffing on the Thompsons?

Did Jeremy not enjoy his time at SU?
I think it might have had something to do with their cousin from the North Country. They wanted to all play together and for whatever reason SU didn't recruit the kid from the Watertown area.

What Jeremy said. Grades have been a problem for a while

yes that's always what we say when we whiff. Fact: UA has the kind of player we used to have: skilled, creative, fun to watch. they are naming their score today.

They all cleared SUNY Albany admissions. I don't believe Syracuse recruited Ty so he and Miles Thompson went to Albany. Then the next year the younger Thompson followed them to Albany.

Both Thompson brothers, Lyle and Miles, were qualified.

UA has nice team. But in a few weeks this win won't look as good as it does now.

They all cleared SUNY Albany admissions. I don't believe Syracuse recruited Ty so he and Miles Thompson went to Albany. Then the next year the younger Thompson followed them to Albany.

Both Thompson brothers, Lyle and Miles, were qualified.

Only one of the 3 had the grades to get into SU, its not about being eligible by NCAA standards, you have to get into SU to.

anyone else remember lafayette/manhasset class 3 2009. you knew the kid would come back to haunt us one day.

yup...grades all the way according to a relative.they still don't know how they got into albany either.

they wanted to play at S.U.to be in front of family/friends from the home land

Only one of the 3 had the grades to get into SU, its not about being eligible by NCAA standards, you have to get into SU to.

We've done this before. Syracuse ain't Harvard. Look at all the fball players who get in whether jucos or kids going to Milford to 'get qualified'. Plus these are Indians and there are admissions benefits because of that.

My source that they were both qualified to play at SU is their high school coach.

Now how good do you think Jamison's grades were?

Phat's source is solid.

Whatever happened, we got the short end of the stick. It could not have been made any more painfully obvious last night.

I thought the Thompsons played extremely selfishly in HS. And their teams underachieved. My source, their HS teammates. Jeremy and Jerome's teams overachieved, beating what really should have been a class A team for the NYS championship.

If true, I extrapolated that SU lost interest bc they felt the two were not good enough, or that the whole package was not worth it.

I guess they were wrong. Our starting attack is whom they felt were better...

Finally, I enjoyed watching the natives play for the Cuse. Breaking that tradition is a shame.

Hopefully their was no long term damage done to this recruiting gold mine.

Argue about it all you want, but my very good source - very good - told me the transcripts were examined and there was no way they were getting into SU . . . or any D-I school. Remember, SU has a great deal for Native Americans who qualify, so it wasn't about scholarship money, either. Obviously, they did get into Albany. My source told me he would be stunned if they ever made it into school and onto the field. Consider him stunned.

Argue about it all you want, but my very good source - very good - told me the transcripts were examined and there was no way they were getting into SU . . . or any D-I school. Remember, SU has a great deal for Native Americans who qualify, so it wasn't about scholarship money, either. Obviously, they did get into Albany. My source told me he would be stunned if they ever made it into school and onto the field. Consider him stunned.

Dave - how'd they get into Albany then?

Again SUNY Albany versus Syracuse, not exactly the same admission standards.

SUNY Albany admissions isn't a pushover. They accept about 50% of their 20K applicants w/a GPA range of 3.2 - 3.5. Syracuse's and Albany's admissions standards are nearly identical - Syracuse is slightly, I stress slightly higher. They are so close that it's splitting hairs. Two NCAA qualified Native Americans would have no problem getting into Syracuse.

SUNY Albany admissions isn't a pushover. They accept about 50% of their 20K applicants w/a GPA range of 3.2 - 3.5. Syracuse's and Albany's admissions standards are nearly identical - Syracuse is slightly, I stress slightly higher. They are so close that it's splitting hairs. Two NCAA qualified Native Americans would have no problem getting into Syracuse.

Not sure how else to say it, of the three only one had the grades to get into SU, Desko stopped recruiting the Thompsons because Myles wanted to play with Lyle and Ty and they couldnt get in and SU. Its not a conspiracy theory we stopped recruiting them and never had interest in Ty.

Dave - how'd they get into Albany then?

I'm just passing on what I was told by a source I trust implicitly. This was before any Thompson ever suited up at Albany. Unless he outright lied to me, which would be a first, he examined the transcripts personally and could see no way of them (together) playing D-I lax. That they are doing just that certainly seems to prove him wrong. My point is it wasn't that SU wasn't interested or didn't recognize the talent but simply saw no way of making it work academically. If that's a whiff, then they whiffed.

Again SUNY Albany versus Syracuse, not exactly the same admission standards.

Let's suspend this silly Albany vs Syracuse admission standards angle for a second, and accept that dumb as a box of rocks athletes are, or have been, accepted into both schools. I believe Phat was trying to isolate the argument to NCAA standards.

If what Dave is saying is true, and I've no reason to doubt what he believes, one would expect some sanctions for Albany in the future.

If false though, this was a whiff on Desko's part.

Let's suspend this silly Albany vs Syracuse admission standards angle for a second, and accept that dumb as a box of rocks athletes are, or have been, accepted into both schools. I believe Phat was trying to isolate the argument to NCAA standards.

If what Dave is saying is true, and I've no reason to doubt what he believes, one would expect some sanctions for Albany in the future.

If false though, this was a whiff on Desko's part.

Its not a whiff when theres no scholarship offer, again SU stopped recruiting Myles and Lyle and never offered TY. Was it a mistake by Desko? Possibly, but again multiple sources have said they could not get into SU.

Regarding admissions in general, to say that SU admits borderline football and basketball players therefore they must do the same with lacrosse players is not accurate. If you believe that the lacrosse office has as much pull as the big two, you are kidding yourself.
I have no idea what happened in this recruitment, but my gut and knowledge of this program leads me to believe that all three wanted to play together and one wasn't going to make it. Therefore they went to Albany. It makes sense that people associated with the thompsons and Lafayette would say SU backed away, just as it make sense for others to say they couldn't get into SU directly out of high school.

Regarding admissions in general, to say that SU admits borderline football and basketball players therefore they must do the same with lacrosse players is not accurate. If you believe that the lacrosse office has as much pull as the big two, you are kidding yourself.

Come on man, I know times have changed between now and the 90's but you must have friends who could barely make it through JUCO and played at Syracuse. I know I do. You think the admissions office has tightened up that much when it comes to lacrosse players?

Come on man, I know times have changed between now and the 90's but you must have friends who could barely make it through JUCO and played at Syracuse. I know I do. You think the admissions office has tightened up that much when it comes to lacrosse players?

None of the Thompsons went the Juco or Prep route they went to Albany right out of high school.

I heard the same from someone who is friendly with the family back in 2009.

@phat, you stated that football players that go Milford or juco then get into SU. My statement is that desko does not have the same pull in admissions at jimmyB or Shafer. I know there have been borderline guys that have been accepted to SU in the past, they are normally one off cases. It is much easier for SU to accept someone with an associates degree, that has proven that can handle college life, as opposed to a borderline high school kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom