What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan?

1. Indiana -
2. Richmond
3. Minnesota - lived in GA at the time and I wanted to have a chance to shut up those GA Tech fans more than you can imagine
4. Arkansas

I put my fist thru our dining room wall. My Dad never gave me a hard time about it, proving what a great SU fan he was
Indiana and no other one is close. We had that won. We had our path planned out to storm the court. Right over the left shoulder of Doug Logan. No other loss hurt near as much. It was a long ass drive back to Syracuse.

I'll never forget watching the sportscast on WNBC in NYC with Len Berman- he looked like he'd been visibly crying and it prompted a "sorry about your school" comment from the anchors. Didn't move from my chair for about 2 hours. Devastated.

Butler hurt because of what could have been. But Vermont stings because it was a much bigger upset. Those are 1 and 1a for me.

I still believe that we lost against Vermont because I watched the game while being in the state of vermont. Shame

Indiana of course was the worse loss.

2nd was Feb. 12, 1980 at Manley Field house to Georgetown 52-50 when Thompson "officially closed Manley" and ended our 57 game streak. I still want to kick him in the face but would need a step ladder to do it.

Last edited:
Vermont, I couldn't move off my couch for like 3 hrs, I was so upset. Didn't watch another tournament game till the final four.

I went to the airport very early to watch the entire game at a sports bar as opposed to missing any of the game driving in.

I watched it just outside of the gate for a flight TO syracuse. I was the only cuse fan there, which was infuriating to me. They didnt show any of the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd half because Duke couldnt eclipse the 20 pt mark in the 'local game' (before the time all games were available easily).

When it went to OT I was half relieved because I kept telling myself "the best team always win in OT". I was actually verbally saying it to myself while pacing around in the ATL airport. People thought I was nuts. I remember making eye contact with a very Irish looking guy (as in actually from Ireland). But I was also half anxious because they were about to start boarding my flight.

When Sorrentine hit that shot from the parking lot, my heart sank. As soon as the final whistle blew the gate agent called the last call to board the plane. I got on the plane, sat in the last row of an md88 (which doesnt have a window) and actually thought to myself, I dont care if this plane goes down.

I am still infuriated that there were NO OTHER cuse fans at a bar literaly 20 feet from a flight departing to Syracuse.

Richmond. Senior year. First night of the tourney. Only a 2 seed because of a round 1 17-point collapse at the Garden the week before vs. Nova. 26-4 regular season. 0-2 postseason. Just. Awful.

Indiana
I am a geologist and I was working for Newmont Exploration in Nv.
We were looking for metals (gold) using geophysics
It was crushing to be working during that run but the work was fun and exciting
We had just finished an electrical survey in the southern part of the state
We had to be in Elko the next day to meet a mine geologist
My boss knew my passion and agreed we could stop to watch the game
Well if you know Nv you know we did not have many choices
So we rolled into tiny Austin, Nv around end of the first half
I finally found a bar w a tiny TV that was watching the game
After about 0.5 hrs I literally had the whole bar rooting for Cuse as I had promised many rounds on me when they won
It seemed like we were in control until those painful foul shots
DC and Triche Sr. both missed the front ends and left the door open...
for that scum, vermin, slime...Keith Smart
The bar was silent after that shot

NO OTHER loss comes even close
It was a brutal drive to Elko that night
My buddy in the lead truck said every time he looked in the rear view he saw a lighter lighting :<)

Richmond would be distant 2nd if I had to pick

OO44

I was only 5 years old for the 1987 season so I don't have any recollection of it (thank god)

For me it's either Arkansas or Butler. I don't recall any other losses leaving me as soul-crushed as those two.

Those would be my two as well. Arkansas...we had it! It was over! And Moten was my favorite. That sucked.

Butler...we were the best team. We still could've won it all without AO. Joseph got German Supplexed. That shot that bounced around off the top of the backboard and went in at the shot clock buzzer. Butler's HORRIBLE style of basketball(they ruined the sport more than anyone else). I'm still mad.

2006 NLCS Game 7 vs. St. Louis.

I thought we had it when Endy Chavez made that incredible catch.

It was freaking destiny man. The greatest post season catch of all time. Forget Mays that's a routine catch nowadays. And then they follow that up with collapses in 07 and 08.

I am no longer a baseball fan after those three seasons. I couldn't take it anymore.

Indiana - I was 8 and cried myself to sleep that night.

Arkansas - We won that game. We were the better team, and Arkansas went on to win the National Championship.

Vermont - Wanted to cry that night as well. We had so much potential.

It was freaking destiny man. The greatest post season catch of all time. Forget Mays that's a routine catch nowadays. And then they follow that up with collapses in 07 and 08.

I am no longer a baseball fan after those three seasons. I couldn't take it anymore.

And I know it was a nasty pitch especially in that situation but Beltran just watching strike 3 with his bat on his shoulder. Ugh

1. Kentucky
2. Indiana
3. Michigan
4. Illinois
5.Onuaku, then Butler
6. Vermont
7. Richmond
8. Navy
9. Rhode Island
10. Iowa

In order of level of despondency at the time it happened...

1. Kentucky
2. Illnois
3. Vermont
4. Richmond
5. Onuaku
6. Michigan State
7. Rhode Island
8. Iowa
9. UNC Charlotte
10. Old Dominion

Last edited:
Most painful: '87 Indiana - Should've been our first championship. (Just think, with that win JB has as many championships as Bobby Knight)
Worst: '91 Richmond - The only loss in NCAA tournament history that will ever be worse will be the first time a 16 beats a 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom