When does Fall camp start? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When does Fall camp start?

Yeah, I am not made of the stuff needed to be part of Fran Brown's program this year.

That sounds like Hell.

Word is the first couple of days have been rough.

The intensity is off the charts which brings lot of cramps and lots of puking. Even managers have passed out. Did a player need medical treatment for heat exhaustion?

Players aren't getting back to their dorms/apartment until 10pm following a 20–30-minute walk. The UV apartments where most young players live during their first couple of years in the program have good air conditioning, but the apartments on south campus don't have AC or the AC is garbage. Players are hot, tired and hungry at 10pm. Players are calling coaches at the end of the day and requesting fans and food. Anyone with teenagers knows three or even four meals aren't enough. Imagine being 6'5", 330 lbs. working your tail off only to go back to hot apartment and an empty refrigerator.

I'm hearing some guys are starting to drag like zombies. The humidity is kicking their tails. And the humidity tomorrow will be ugly. Full pads tomorrow?

Word is the nutritionist is keeping a close eye on guys.

I hope players are getting weighed twice a day, once at breakfast and once at the end of the day.

What's the price of success?

The intensity is off the charts which brings lot of cramps and lots of puking. Even managers have passed out. Did a player need medical treatment for heat exhaustion?

Players aren't getting back to their dorms/apartment until 10pm following a 20–30-minute walk. The UV apartments where most young players live during their first couple of years in the program have good air conditioning, but the apartments on south campus don't have AC or the AC is garbage. Players are hot, tired and hungry at 10pm. Players are calling coaches at the end of the day and requesting fans and food. Anyone with teenagers knows three or even four meals aren't enough. Imagine being 6'5", 330 lbs. working your tail off only to go back to hot apartment and an empty refrigerator.

I'm hearing some guys are starting to drag like zombies. The humidity is kicking their tails. And the humidity tomorrow will be ugly. Full pads tomorrow?

I hope players are getting weighed twice a day, once at breakfast and once at the end of the day.

Uhh...

Yeah I don't know about this, man.

I love it. I get it sounds tough, well winning is tough. This is a Georgia mentality brought to Cuse.

Get the freaking ac fixed and the guys fridges stocked however.

This. This is not great.

McCord was asked in an interview posted above if he had AC, and said yes. He did say he was also using a fan.

The players can't be allowed to be hungry, and if the nutritionists are on it, they will be getting enough.

A program that thinks of clever things like handing out s'mores at the start of "camp" isn't just going to forget to feed it's players.

Intensity is a good thing, conditioning and contact are good things.

Right now, the players are bonding over their sore muscles and their Spartan living conditions. Especially when they are walking 20 minutes together back to their homes.

Getting a chance to complain to each other is a good thing.

I bet Diggs and McCord shut it down if the complaining gets too much though.

They'll survive and be better for it.

Its three days into football practice, not Guadalcanal.

The lead trainer addressed all this. It’s to push the kids to their physical and mental limits. They are all being monitored. Even pointed out it’s teaching the players that they need to stay hydrated, better to learn that lesson now, instead of the 4th quarter vs GT. And if they can perform in these conditions, they can in the AC’d Dome.

Shared hardship is bonding.

They are young men, they’ll get through it.

The lead trainer addressed all this. It’s to push the kids to their physical and mental limits. They are all being monitored. Even pointed out it’s teaching the players that they need to stay hydrated, better to learn that lesson now, instead of the 4th quarter vs GT. And if they can perform in these conditions, they can in the AC’d Dome.

Precisely. It's tough for a reason. I'd be more concerned if it was HSers without proper nutritionist and trainers. With how much they've focused on weight gain, they're also not going to let these kids lose muscle and weight. Hydration is key.

Precisely. It's tough for a reason. I'd be more concerned if it was HSers without proper nutritionist and trainers. With how much they've focused on weight gain, they're also not going to let these kids lose muscle and weight. Hydration is key.
Bonding through this tough part of camp. Coach Fran wants to bring these guys together. Best to do it over difficult circumstances.

It should be hard and they should be pushed, but the school needs to be ensuring they’re well taken care of in their precious moments of downtime. Not having good working AC and not having stocked fridges are unacceptable if true.

It should be hard and they should be pushed, but the school needs to be ensuring they’re well taken care of in their precious moments of downtime. Not having good working AC and not having stocked fridges are unacceptable if true.
Maybe it’s a social experiment, instead of having every need covered individuals and groups take charge and address any gaps. Find who the leaders are, who the problem solvers are.

Folks the coaches are applying an approach very similar to military boot camps, that's all. It's intended to be tough. It's intended to challenge them physically and mentally. It's intended to drive teamwork. It's a viable approach. That said the staff better be paying attention to the players hydration and heat exhaustion. That is no joke. Ask the Minnesota Vikings about that, even Pro staffs can miss things.

Sounds like preseason camp.

There's a fine line between conditioning and overtraining, which gets very blurred, especially early on in camp. Guys who don't come in to camp conditioned find out very quickly.

Turf is absolutely brutal to be on in August.

Played D3 football almost 2 decades ago, the description is spot on, except they've got better resources and AC.

One of the most mentally and physically challenging experiences of my life. Remember waking up in a pool of my own sweat in my dorm many mornings.

Get through the first two weeks and you're golden.

they’re only allowed to practice once per day (used to be 2 a days), have dieticians, trainers, GPS and health trackers, 3 meals plus constant snacks provided, weighed constantly, tested for hydration, provided supplements and vitamins, etc.

I don’t think there should be any serious concern. They’re making them work, which is probably a good thing.

Amen!

Almost choked on my coffee. :cool:.

Last edited:
If you ask me, this approach is soft. They should be provided no food and no shelter. Give them a tarp, some rope, a shovel, a pot, some flint and a hunting knife. Let these men form hunting parties and live off the land. Only food you eat is food you catch. Water? Get it from Onondaga lake and boil it over the fire you build. Sissy’s.

If you ask me, this approach is soft. They should be provided no food and no shelter. Give them a tarp, some rope, a shovel, a pot, some flint and a hunting knife. Let these men form hunting parties and live off the land. Only food you eat is food you catch. Water? Get it from Onondaga lake and boil it over the fire you build. Sissy’s.
Yesterday Aug. 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom