When will ‘Cuse win a 2nd title? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When will ‘Cuse win a 2nd title?

I would take at least a year or two off of the end of my life to experience a natty. I’ve been way too emotionally invested my entire life to never feel that happiness.

Cannot even imagine what it would be like to get there or how sad it’ll be if we don’t do it in my lifetime (born in 1997 so 2003 isn’t even a memory).

I would take at least a year or two off of the end of my life to experience a natty. I’ve been way too emotionally invested my entire life to never feel that happiness.

Cannot even imagine what it would be like to get there or how sad it’ll be if we don’t do it in my lifetime (born in 1997 so 2003 isn’t even a memory).

I also would take a year or 2 off the end of your life to experience a(nother) Natty. ;)

It was one of the best feelings ever.

I wish there was footage of the Dome Celebration a few days after the 03 title on YouTube. You can see the post game stuff, the parade is on there. But I’ve never seen more than a quick clip of Carmelo’s “thought you were supposed to go to school for 4?” quote from the Dome celebration. That was a lot of fun, would love to see it again.

Hopefully again at some point. I want it so badly. I need that feeling in my body and soul again. But no, not happening with JB.

Thanks. I put some thought behind it.
"So we’ll make a final 4 in the 2020’s"

I've seen no evidence that suggests we'll be doing that. Which is why your guess is quite presumptuous.

Anytime you are a 4 seed or better you have a decent shot to win it all.
So it’s just a matter of getting back to that level.
Which can be done quickly in basketball.
Most logical answer.

Considering we haven't been a top 4 seed since 2014, and nothing has changed with the program since then, we won't get there until something changes.

"So we’ll make a final 4 in the 2020’s"

I've seen no evidence that suggests we'll be doing that. Which is why your guess is quite presumptuous.
Lol. It’s a guess. And it’s based on one thing, we made a f4 in every decade since the 70s. What’s your guess? What do you think of other posts guessing one in the 2020’s?

Sometime in the 2020’s. To win a title you have to get to the final 4 and we’ve made the final 4 in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s, 2010’s (x2), so we’ll make a final 4 in the 2020’s and I’ll guess and say we’ll win it all this one. Who the coach is will depend on timing. Next 7 years.
I used to agree with this line of thinking. I no longer do because our program is far from what it used to be compared to the 70s, 80s, 90s, and on. We just aren't the same program and our results continue to show that (hence the losing season and not being ranked in the top 25 for how many years now?).

Feels to me like we’re not even in the game right now and we’re basically on pause mode. We’re trying to tread water for an indefinite amount of time, it seems.

When we finally move on, and I can see what direction we go in, then it’ll be easier to hazard a guess if we’re on the right path. The tools are in place for a strong staff to win big here, IMO.

Lol. It’s a guess. And it’s based on one thing, we made a f4 in every decade since the 70s. What’s your guess? What do you think of other posts guessing one in the 2020’s?
See the reply below mine for a true assessment and honest guess.

Living in the past and using it as a basis for guesses is fine, if you're looking to feel good about something. Or you're wearing orange colored glasses.

You, sir, are doing just that.

A few other things SU basketball has done (or had done)...
  • Syracuse basketball had gone 46 years without a losing record. Cross that one off.
  • Syracuse basketball had beaten at least one ranked team every season since 1980. Cross that one off.
  • Until this recent 8-year stretch, there had not been more than 3 consecutive years where SU basketball had failed to be seeded a 4-seed or better in the NCAA Tournament since before the tournament expanded to 32 teams in 1975.
  • Until this recent 8-year stretch, there had not been longer than a stretch of two seasons where SU basketball failed to be seeded a 5-seed or better in the NCAA Tournament.
  • Taking out the COVID season of 2020-21, the top winning percentage over the last 8 years has been .622 (23-14, done twice). Since 1982-83 (32 seasons), SU basketball failed to hit that .622 winning percentage mark just twice - 1996-97 (Winfred Walton ineligible) and 2007-08 (Devendorf injury).
This is without a doubt the worst stretch of SU basketball in its history. I am at a loss when it comes to your approval of this head coach, and the constant excuses. It's over. It's been over. And the old man needs to realize it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
See the reply below mine for a true assessment and honest guess.

Living in the past and using it as a basis for guesses is fine, if you're looking to feel good about something. Or you're wearing orange colored glasses.

You, sir, are doing just that.

And you sir won’t even make a guess nor comment on others making the same prediction. Keep being you.

And you sir won’t even make a guess nor comment on others making the same prediction. Keep being you.
Added to my reply above. Please see for more thoughts.

If you want to believe that miracles can happen, keep on keepin' on. Just don't expect the support (fan, donations, etc.) to continue the way it has if there aren't changes made. Slippery slope.

Feels to me like we’re not even in the game right now and we’re basically on pause mode. We’re trying to tread water for an indefinite amount of time, it seems.

When we finally move on, and I can see what direction we go in, then it’ll be easier to hazard a guess if we’re on the right path. The tools are in place for a strong staff to win big here, IMO.
Exactly right.

Impossible to guess when you have an immovable object and the biggest resistance to us being relevant too stubborn to realize it's time to move on.

I'll guess 2040, though.

Added to my reply above. Please see for more thoughts.

If you want to believe that miracles can happen, keep on keepin' on. Just don't expect the support (fan, donations, etc.) to continue the way it has if there aren't changes made. Slippery slope.

A simple question with a simple guess and you get your hair all on fire and go off on tangents. Love it.

A simple question with a simple guess and you get your hair all on fire and go off on tangents. Love it.
And your hair is in perfect alignment even after the last 8 years. Pretty incredible. Love that too.

Next year, 20th anniversary of the first.

My god has it been that long.

(that’s what she said).

Things have certainly changed around *here*. I remember when this was all farmland as far the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees.

Winning national titles are tough and involve a lot of breaks. We can return to being a good program in the near future, and stay at that level, and it could still take many years to pull one off.

I would love to return to something close to our 2009-2014 levels. Even a tad below that. One where every few years we think during the season that we have a realistic shot at it. And even with some runs in recent years I never had that feeling.