When will SU play basketball in the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

When will SU play basketball in the ACC?

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
It's already a fore gone conclusion that the football team will spend another year in the Big East, but what about the basketball team? Will they be joining the ACC starting in the 2012-13 season? Do you (Syracuse fans) want to play another season of basketball in the Big East or start as soon as you can in the ACC?

I would have posted this in the basketball board, but an error message kept telling me that I've opened up a poll question and I needed to fill in the poll options.

Uh, one can't begin play in the ACC without the other. Think 2013.

Syracuse basketball will be heading to the ACC next year in 2012....Football in 2013. Press conference announced for February 30th @ 6pm

I hope in the coming season. The sooner we get out of the Big LEast in anything, the better.

Syracuse basketball will be heading to the ACC next year in 2012....Football in 2013. Press conference announced for February 30th @ 6pm
Rescheduled for 13PM

It's already a fore gone conclusion that the football team will spend another year in the Big East, but what about the basketball team? Will they be joining the ACC starting in the 2012-13 season? Do you (Syracuse fans) want to play another season of basketball in the Big East or start as soon as you can in the ACC?

I would have posted this in the basketball board, but an error message kept telling me that I've opened up a poll question and I needed to fill in the poll options.

How about a semi-straight answer vs. adolescent attempts at humor?

This is actually an interesting question and its not one that SU fans have thought through. There's been some whining about ending SOME of the Big East rivalries. Some of us would like to returen to the Big East Conference of the 1980's. On the positive side, there's excitement about playing Duke and UNC at the Dome.

As the NNBE appears to get worse by packing in whatever schools are available across the US, SU fans become anxious about getting out. But the ACC is uncharted territory for most SU fans. We are unsure how this will all play out. We think that on-balance ACC membership will be better. But the specifics escape us.

I believe the answer for the ACC lies in Big East rivalries.

There has been major push-back in creating North/South divisions (for obvious reasons). But this could be the solution to their problems. North/South divisions creates that inter-divisional tension between established rivalries and also creates a buzz for games between the divisions as well.

Tobacco road schools re-establish their 2x/year rivalries while Big East schools re-establish their own 2x/year rivalries as well...

I think an improved economy will help attendance at all levels with ACTUAL unemployment still in double digits (because government does not count those no longer looking for work) excess regulation stagneting growth and contributing to stagnet wages has lowered many families disposable income this I am sure has affected attendance to many recreational events sports and otherwise

I think an improved economy will help attendance at all levels with ACTUAL unemployment still in double digits (because government does not count those no longer looking for work) excess regulation stagneting growth and contributing to stagnet wages has lowered many families disposable income this I am sure has affected attendance to many recreational events sports and otherwise

Economy...schmeconomy.

If Ohio State has a problem filling the Horseshoe, I'll blame the economy. If Michigan can't fill "The Big House", I'll blame the economy.

We're talking about 15K seat b-ball arenas that are 1500 people short. If these fan-bases are as rabid as we are led to believe, there should enough fully employed people to fill those spots.

I mean, this is the almighty ACC we're talking about.

Syracuse will bring its 22k average to the ACC, and Pitt averages over 10k in their arena. I could care less about the attendance at NC State, Wake, or Clemson its just like the Big East using Syracuse to fillup the arenas for Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's. Duke=UConn, North Carolina = Louisville, Maryland = Georgetown, the ACC will be fine for me. #BegHarder UConn fans.

Economy...schmeconomy.

If Ohio State has a problem filling the Horseshoe, I'll blame the economy. If Michigan can't fill "The Big House", I'll blame the economy.

We're talking about 15K seat b-ball arenas that are 1500 people short. If these fan-bases are as rabid as we are led to believe, there should enough fully employed people to fill those spots.

I mean, this is the almighty ACC we're talking about.

When OSU and UM start playing weekday night games, this might be a valid comparison. As discussed in the "14 Step Commute" section of the article:

This friend, Williams said, told him the crucial number in his mind was 14: the exact number of steps from his recliner to his bedroom. Chris Bevilacqua, the founder of a media-consulting group and architect of the Pac-12's nearly $3 billion TV-rights deal, pointed to another general culprit: the affordability of clearer, larger televisions. The at-home TV experience, he said, is better than ever.

This is the real reason for the drop in attendance, imo. I love going to live sporting events. I think the atmosphere of being at the game, especially one in which crowd is excited can not be beat. As I talk to more people, though, its seems people excitement of going to live sporting events is diminishing. For them, it is easier and more enjoyable to stay home and watch the game on television.

This is the real reason for the drop in attendance, imo. I love going to live sporting events. I think the atmosphere of being at the game, especially one in which crowd is excited can not be beat. As I talk to more people, though, its seems people excitement of going to live sporting events is diminishing. For them, it is easier and more enjoyable to stay home and watch the game on television.

This + economy = attendance woes

It's just that simple.

I just threw up thinking about our hoops team potentially having to travel to Boise next year.

Is there a mandate that puts football first meaning that whatever conference the football team plays in that the following hoops schedule must also be in the conference?

This + economy = attendance woes

It's just that simple.

I would say that the de-emphasizing of basketball nationally. Football is covered nearly 365 days a year and distancing itself from basketball as far as popularity. I remember 20 years ago it seemed like football and basketball were neck and neck, now it's not even close.

When OSU and UM start playing weekday night games, this might be a valid comparison. As discussed in the "14 Step Commute" section of the article:

and this is what people setting ticket prices need to consider a little more seriously, imo. Of course, their solution will likely not be a lowering of ticket prices but an increase in the tv rights and packages. That's why I'm sick and tired of the argument that SU's ticket prices (using SU for an example) are a real bargain compared to other college sports programs at our level. The fact is, SU is not competing with other schools for attendance as much as it is with other factors, such as technology.

You've got Chet Sh!tstain and his HS buddies sitting around at noon on Saturday in their bedrooms in Jamesville with the SU game on ESPN3 on the computer, waiting to see how SU comes out to play before deciding on whether or not to fo to the Dome or go to his Quiddich practice.

I just threw up thinking about our hoops team potentially having to travel to Boise next year.
Huh?

BSU is joining the NNBE for football only.

Huh?

BSU is joining the NNBE for football only.
Nice! Must've lost that in translation somewhere along the way. So which schools are FB only and which will be all sports?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom