"When You Get Your Team You Can Make That Call" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"When You Get Your Team You Can Make That Call"

jekelish said:
Important to note that the guys from the DO and PS have both said that this quote was no big deal and are suggesting it's been taken largely out of context/tone.

Called it

Important to note that the guys from the DO and PS have both said that this quote was no big deal and are suggesting it's been taken largely out of context/tone.

But I thought those guys were all negative and hated Shafer and SU...odd.

jekelish said:

They said it was a stupid answer but not "aggressive". That's certainly hits your point about tone, but not about context or whether it was a big deal or not.

They said it was a stupid answer but not "aggressive". That's certainly hits your point about tone, but not about context or whether it was a big deal or not.
those defending it are all missing the point.

hes the HEAD freakin COACH.

as others have said, hes never won. it doesnt have to be a NC. we were all listening and agreeing to JB telling everyone to go F themselves for over 20 years before he won and were agreeing with him.

his primary job requirement is to be ACCOUNTABLE.

kids, we all know what happens if Syracuse doesnt beat pitt...3-7 with likely just 1 shot at a W left.

get your jollies out of those pool party pics now...

KaiserUEO said:
well, it was really your boy lester who is the jester today. amongst other play calling days.

If we'd won we would all be talking about Dungey and how well we called the first 2 OT.

The offense had a rough half. But the D couldn't get off the field (again).

KaiserUEO said:
those defending it are all missing the point. hes the HEAD freakin COACH. as others have said, hes never won. it doesnt have to be a NC. we were all listening and agreeing to JB telling everyone to go F themselves for over 20 years before he won and were agreeing with him. his primary job requirement is to be ACCOUNTABLE. kids, we all know what happens if Syracuse doesnt beat pitt...3-7 with likely just 1 shot at a W left. get your jollies out of those pool party pics now...

He was being accountable. He said he made the call.

what has happened to lester?????we are not using the passing game wisely. strickland needs to get more touches

I watched the presser. He didn't like the question. In fact, the quote was his sole response... He moved right to the next question.

I don't have a problem with it.

I wonder, what type of answer would have satisfied you?

BVille44 said:
I may be the only one but I am sick and tired of Shafer's press conferences. Every fan wanted to know why he did not have Dungey go under center at the goal line but we get that bullsh!t answer. How about the head coach taking some responsibility for the last two games instead of being a cheerleader saying we got to see an exciting college football game, the kids played hard, etc.

quotes like that make Mark Coyle's decision very very easy
Yes would love to be in his thoughts as he watches this weekly sh**show. You have to think he has people and a plan in mind. He's too competitive and a winner to be the CEO of this dreadful embarrassment. Pray he finds the right guy as soon as the bowl season is over. No more OTJ; no more HS crap. Take most/all with you HCSS. I wouldn't worry about players leaving: (a) the best want to win above all else, (b) there's no one irreplaceable on the roster now. Including Dungey and he's not going anywhere.

I may be the only one but I am sick and tired of Shafer's press conferences. Every fan wanted to know why he did not have Dungey go under center at the goal line but we get that bullsh!t answer.

How about the head coach taking some responsibility for the last two games instead of being a cheerleader saying we got to see an exciting college football game, the kids played hard, etc.

YUP!!! Shager is bush league, he should be coaching at Temple or buttgirlz or some shitshow like that. Some gall he has to give us a wise ass answer like that. This team is terrible and it's his fault 100%. How anyone can still not see that he is just another GRob is beyond me. Can we dump this guy and sign a big-time NAME Coach already????? What gives?????

Quotes like that are like throwing gasoline on the fire of a raging fanbase, no doubt. But, once you get away from the emotion of the loss, it's not that big of a deal.

I learned in the pasqualoni years (and once again, in the Gerg era), that you never get any type of the contrition or apologetic tone you would like to hear as a wounded fan. It's just not what coaches do - and probably a good idea for them not to expose that weakness.

watched it again. When you have his credentials and record, you can't give that answer to a perfectly reasonable question. He's been watching too much JB. Anyone here think he'd get another major HC gig after he gets the pink slip in late November? I think he'd be fine at a nice D-2 school in the midwest. Nice guy but he's just punching above his weight in this conference.

I watched the presser. He didn't like the question. In fact, the quote was his sole response... He moved right to the next question.

something normal maybe

"We think we are most successful with those plays out of that formation, you don't just change what you do all of a sudden because of where you are on the field. Going out of your teams comfort zone is what gets you in trouble".

something normal maybe

"We think we are most successful with those plays out of that formation, you don't just change what you do all of a sudden because of where you are on the field. Going out of your teams comfort zone is what gets you in trouble".
But like I stated above...would it really matter? Sure, it may seem to be poking the bear (the "bear", in this case being an already salty fanbase), but it otherwise is a throwaway comment that has no bearing on anything other than annoying some of us. It's not like he flipped off and spit on the reporter.

those defending it are all missing the point.

hes the HEAD freakin COACH.

as others have said, hes never won. it doesnt have to be a NC. we were all listening and agreeing to JB telling everyone to go F themselves for over 20 years before he won and were agreeing with him.

his primary job requirement is to be ACCOUNTABLE.

kids, we all know what happens if Syracuse doesnt beat pitt...3-7 with likely just 1 shot at a W left.

get your jollies out of those pool party pics now...
I would have answered the same way if a know-nothing,second guessing,armchair chimp asked me the same question. Unfortunately this are the questions you get when your 5th year starting cb can't tackle a RB ,that's practically on the ground already, or defend a desperation pass in OT that would have ended the game

Going to punch myself in the face for entering this, but it's a perfectly reasonable question by the media. For as long as there has been a shotgun in this sport, there has been someone who has forgotten more about this sport than I know questioning why you go to shotgun when you need less than a yard. Especially at the goal line. And when we failed the first time, we went right back to the same exact thing.

Many coaches answer that question honestly, some get upset. No big deal I guess, but not really in line with the personality that I like about Shafer. Oh well.

Big picture, I don't want to fire him. I don't want to start over. I want to give him at least another year to see it through. But that was a frustrating game. We don't take advantage of our opportunities. I'd like to hope that changes as these young players get older. But I fear that some coaches can't find their way out of that style.

I would have answered the same way if a know-nothing,second guessing,armchair chimp asked me the same question. Unfortunately this are the questions you get when your 5th year starting cb can't tackle a RB ,that's practically on the ground already, or defend a desperation pass in OT that would have ended the game

Right. You would have said "you no nothing chimp, you don't know what you're talking about so stop criticizing me. We lost because our 5th year senior cornerback Julian Whigham is terrible!"

Right. You would have said "you no nothing chimp, you don't know what you're talking about so stop criticizing me. We lost because our 5th year senior cornerback Julian Whigham is terrible!"
I, for one, would have celebrated that statement!

(and maybe added that we did not get the ball to our star, and statesman: George Mason II.)