"When You Get Your Team You Can Make That Call" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"When You Get Your Team You Can Make That Call"

I would have answered the same way if a know-nothing,second guessing,armchair chimp asked me the same question. Unfortunately this are the questions you get when your 5th year starting cb can't tackle a RB ,that's practically on the ground already, or defend a desperation pass in OT that would have ended the game

There has been a problem. We should address the issue not attack the question. Our ability to run the ball in goal to go situations has been very poor. That tends to happen though when you go pistol and have no lead blocker. It makes no sense. We are scoring a TD about 60% of the time this year when we have a goal to go. Of the 8 times we have scored only 3 have come from running plays. In the end it doesn't matter how you score, as long as you score. But I think the fact that we cannot run the ball does hurt our chances of scoring.

1st & Goal from the 6 vs URI - FG
1st & Goal from the 9 vs URI - 2nd down 9 yard TD pass
1st & Goal from the 1 vs Wake - FG
1st & Goal from the 10 vs CMU - FG
1st & Goal from the 4 vs CMU - 1st down TD run by Dungey
1st & Goal from the 8 vs CMU - 2nd down 7 yard TD pass
1st & Goal from the 7 vs CMU - 2nd down 4 yard TD run Fredericks
1st & Goal from the 4 vs LSU - 3rd down 2 yard TD pass
1st & Goal from the 5 vs LSU - 1st down TD pass
1st & Goal from the 2 vs UVA - turnover on downs
1st & Goal from the 1 vs UVA - 1st down TD run Fredericks
1st & Goal from the 9 vs UVA - FG
1st & Goal from the 7 vs UVA - 2nd down 7 yard TD pass

There has been a problem. We should address the issue not attack the question. Our ability to run the ball in goal to go situations has been very poor. That tends to happen though when you go pistol and have no lead blocker. It makes no sense. We are scoring a TD about 60% of the time this year when we have a goal to go. Of the 8 times we have scored only 3 have come from running plays. In the end it doesn't matter how you score, as long as you score. But I think the fact that we cannot run the ball does hurt our chances of scoring.

You'd think that with the experience upfront we'd be able to move bodies and pound the rock inside the 5. Regardless, if the coaches are shying away from this I'd say they feel more comfortable using other alternatives. Maybe they're simply not confident in the ability to move people up front.

I agree that not running the ball effectively in those situations does hurt our chances of scoring. But it also goes hand in hand with using other play calling alternatives and maybe is the answer instead of the question.

If you don't trust the line to create the push, then why not use Dungey's strength and roll him out with a run-pass option. It worked in OT twice.

You'd think that with the experience upfront we'd be able to move bodies and pound the rock inside the 5. Regardless, if the coaches are shying away from this I'd say they feel more comfortable using other alternatives. Maybe they're simply not confident in the ability to move people up front.

I agree that not running the ball effectively in those situations does hurt our chances of scoring. But it also goes hand in hand with using other play calling alternatives and maybe is the answer instead of the question.

One thing I noticed between the two teams offensive line is that Va.'s players can get out and move in space while ours can't get out of each others shadows. Just look at all the successful screens where their o-line gets out in space and make solid blocks while we can't run screens as we are always bunched up. Same with USF.

I am not impressed with the conditioning/size of our O-line. Something is not right and it has been a problem for way too long. Things need to change.

One thing I noticed between the two teams offensive line is that Va.'s players can get out and move in space while ours can't get out of each others shadows. Just look at all the successful screens where their o-line gets out in space and make solid blocks while we can't run screens as we are always bunched up. Same with USF.

I am not impressed with the conditioning/size of our O-line. Something is not right and it has been a problem for way too long. Things need to change.
it's a good thing we have not one, but TWO, O-line coaches!

But hey, any time you can hire your buddies and recreate that juggernaut staff at WMU, you just gotta do it.

I loved it. Love in general when Coaches put the media in their place.

Who knows more football that media dweeb who asked the question. Or HCSS. For all his faults and what you may think of him as a coach Scott has forgotten more football than the person who asked the question.

I loved it. Love in general when Coaches put the media in their place.

Who knows more football that media dweeb who asked the question. Or HCSS. For all his faults and what you may think of him as a coach Scott has forgotten more football than the person who asked the question.

It troubles me that he's forgotten so much football at such a young age. I want someone that can retain knowledge at the helm!

Plus, forgetting football isn't a competition I want him competing in! :)

Your concern about Red Zone scoring is completely unfounded, like you said...it doesn't matter how you score, it just matters that you score. We are 20th overall in Red Zone Scoring offense tied with FSU and I would not consider them inept.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703

Thanks

CuseOnly said:
Your concern about Red Zone scoring is completely unfounded, like you said...it doesn't matter how you score, it just matters that you score. We are 20th overall in Red Zone Scoring offense tied with FSU and I would not consider them inept. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703 Thanks
it also matters how many points you score. We are average in points per red zone trip.

Right. You would have said "you no nothing chimp, you don't know what you're talking about so stop criticizing me. We lost because our 5th year senior cornerback Julian Whigham is terrible!"
No, I would have said what Shafer said. He said it beautifully.

No, I would have said what Shafer said. He said it beautifully.

I think as the season goes on, and the schedule gets tougher, and the losses pile up, he's going to have a lot more responses like that.

I read somewhere, can't recall where and didn't see it posted here, that Lester's answer to the same question was that the only package that has under center installed is the victory formation.

Chip said:
I think as the season goes on, and the schedule gets tougher, and the losses pile up, he's going to have a lot more responses like that. I read somewhere, can't recall where and didn't see it posted here, that Lester's answer to the same question was that the only package that has under center installed is the victory formation.
when you run a triple option west coast wildcat Seahawks elmworst cfl offense , something's gotta give in practice.

I think HCSS gets another year regardless...unless, maybe, if we totally shat the bed and lose out.

it's a good thing we have not one, but TWO, O-line coaches!

But hey, any time you can hire your buddies and recreate that juggernaut staff at WMU, you just gotta do it.
I see this year he is coaching centers and guards so did he coach the tackles last year with the guards and centers. If he did then that is telling me Shafer has lost some confidence in his coaching the line if he did in fact take away the tackles this year.

I really didn't pay attention to his total line duties last year.

I think as the season goes on, and the schedule gets tougher, and the losses pile up, he's going to have a lot more responses like that.

I read somewhere, can't recall where and didn't see it posted here, that Lester's answer to the same question was that the only package that has under center installed is the victory formation.
See, that's a legitimate answer though.

Your concern about Red Zone scoring is completely unfounded, like you said...it doesn't matter how you score, it just matters that you score. We are 20th overall in Red Zone Scoring offense tied with FSU and I would not consider them inept.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/703

Thanks

I will agree to disagree. Once you get into the red zone IMO a FG is a win for the D not the O. What matters is TDs. Using that metric SU is 87TH in the nation which tells a totally different story that the one you are trying to sell.

retro44 said:
I see this year he is coaching centers and guards so did he coach the tackles last year with the guards and centers. If he did then that is telling me Shafer has lost some confidence in his coaching the line if he did in fact take away the tackles this year. I really didn't pay attention to his total line duties last year.

Yea, he coached the full OL last year but just C, G this year.

I will agree to disagree. Once you get into the red zone IMO a FG is a win for the D not the O. What matters is TDs. Using that metric SU is 87TH in the nation which tells a totally different story that the one you are trying to sell.

Not trying to sell anything, the rankings are the rankings, facts are facts.

Not trying to sell anything, the rankings are the rankings, facts are facts.

And 87th in Red Zone TD% is a fact. You chose to use a less valuable fact. We are not 20th in red zone scoring. Scoring takes into account points per trip. The stat that you are quoting is % of time scoring. All that indicates is that we don't turn it over and are able to hit our FGs. That is a better indicator of your K than your O.

I will make it easy for you.

Team A scores 20 out of 25 red zone trips has an 80% red zone scoring rate (the stat you are using). But let's say that the team has scored 8 TDs and 12 FGs. That makes their point per red zone trip 3.68 points.

Team B scores 18 out of 25 red zone trips has a 72% red zone scoring rate. However that team has 12 TDs and 6 FGs. That makes their point per trip 4.08 points.

You are saying that Team A is better in the red zone (80% > 72%). I am saying Team B is better (4.08 points is better than 3.68 points). So we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that's a legitimate answer though.

I think if I were Shafer, and was annoyed by the question, I would have just said that's our offense. Unfortunately in that first half series, we didn't execute it. We had the same situation in the 2nd half, ran a similar play, and scored fairly easily. Then if the mood struck him, he could follow it up with how come no one is asking me about that TD?

And 87th in Red Zone TD% is a fact. You chose to use a less valuable fact. We are not 20th in red zone scoring. Scoring takes into account points per trip. The stat that you are quoting is % of time scoring. All that indicates is that we don't turn it over and are able to hit our FGs. That is a better indicator of your K than your O. Do you not realize this?
Show me where you get your stats from, mine come from the NCAA website.

Millhouse said:
it also matters how many points you score. We are average in points per red zone trip.

It should be mentioned that you would have shat a brick in the preseason had you known that would happen. Also 30+ ppg and more TD's in half a season than last year.

Millhouse said:
when you run a triple option west coast wildcat Seahawks elmworst cfl offense , something's gotta give in practice.

If we figure out pace and more plays per game and/or have two halves of consistent offense you may have to retire your Lester shtick.

K Otto XLIV said:
And 87th in Red Zone TD% is a fact. You chose to use a less valuable fact. We are not 20th in red zone scoring. Scoring takes into account points per trip. The stat that you are quoting is % of time scoring. All that indicates is that we don't turn it over and are able to hit our FGs. That is a better indicator of your K than your O. I will make it easy for you. Team A scores 20 out of 25 red zone trips has an 80% red zone scoring rate (the stat you are using). But let's say that the team has scored 8 TDs and 12 FGs. That makes their point per red zone trip 3.68 points. Team B scores 18 out of 25 red zone trips has a 72% red zone scoring rate. However that team has 12 TDs and 6 FGs. That makes their point per trip 4.08 points. You are saying that Team A is better in the red zone (80% > 72%). I am saying Team B is better (4.08 points is better than 3.68 points). So we can agree to disagree.

And we can agree both teams are better than team Mcit/Lester from last year