Where Are We From/Fan History. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Where Are We From/Fan History.

Earth science teacher was Mr. Bozych (I'm sure I spelled it wrong)

For whatever reason, the best teachers to me were all social studies -- Ms. Bayus, Ms. Evans and Mrs. Rothbaler (not sure I have the name right there, but her husband taught science).

I remember him but I had Mr. Wilson. They used to say those two would get cocked in the adjoining room where their office was. It seems like yesterday until I really start thinking about it and trying to remember names.

I was born in '68 in East Syracuse. My dad had helped to start the Channel 9 station, but 2 yrs later, another opportunity to start up a new tv station led to us moving to Hagerstown, MD. I have lived in the area ever since, except for college, first in Binghampton, NY (Broome Community College) and then on to Rochester (RIT).

My father was a casual sports fan and ended up adopting most of the local teams, though he always stayed with SU.

I really became interested in sports around 1980, followed my father's lead with SU, but couldn't stomach any of his other choices. We would sit and watch the Pearl and all the great games at the dawn of the Big East Conference. That was when i really started to become a die-hard SU fan. I followed basketball, football & lacrosse, and still do.

My greatest SU memory will always be when I was 17. I was walking back in to my high school from gym class at the end of the day, walked down the hallway past the office, and saw Mr. Jim Boeheim standing there. I walked to my locker and mentioned to a friend that I just saw the coach of SU basketball. I couldn't believe it, i was stunned. I walked back up the hallway, turned to him and said "I'm originally from Syracuse and I'm a huge fan of SU basketball." He smiled and shook my hand.

As it turns out, he was there recruiting our best basketball player, a player called Rodney Monroe, who ended up going to NC State and finishing his career as the highest point scorer in NC State history. I often wondered what would have happened if Rodney had played for Syracuse.

P.S. I also saw Rollie Massimino and Dean Smith shortly after i met JB. But, they were only mildly interesting side notes to a glorious day for a SU fan.

The two other greatest moments in sports for me were when SU won the NC in 2003 and when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1994. I'm still waiting for both to do it again. I really thought this year might have been the year for both. SU didn't, but maybe the Rangers can.

There was another math teacher I can't remember his name right now but he looked like Bob Newhart and drew almost perfect circles free hand. I would have to say my favorite teacher was Sam Dantz sp. Taught economics which you had to take in 12 to graduate.

Mr. Hughes!

Admins, why did this thread get un-tacked?

Mole - my brother, who is on the board as well - told me who you were. Graduated in '94 with you, one of my good friends went to college with you (he is a Doctor now). Small world...

I gotta go with math teach Mr. Tyzka (retired the year I graduated in '94), Mr. Baldwin or Mr. Weidman

Weidman and Baldwin were still around in '94. Amazing, they were the "in teachers" in '73. Weidman was this generations Mr. White.:)

My very
Slow day at the office...so I thought I'd throw this out here.

Where are we all from/what's our SU fan story?

For me, although I remember watching Orangemen teams with Preston Shumpert, Jason Hart and Etan Thomas back as a teenager living in NJ in the late 90's on ESPN, my fandom didn't really start until I took a trip to SU during the 2003 NCAA tournament run to see where I was going to be going to school that next fall. It was a cold and rainy day that Friday (I'm sure many of the students were in Albany watching the sweet 16), but once I saw the Orange spirit throughout that NCAA run, I was hooked.

I was unlucky enough to arrive on the hill one year after the NC Season in 03', but lucky enough to witness a TON of terrific Orange ball while I was there. Was a student season ticket holder for four years of undergrad, plus two more of graduate school right afterwards. Don't think I missed a home basketball game from 03-04' to 08-09'.

Many memorable moments. The Terrence Roberts three to beat Rutgers in 06' (and the fur coat he wore afterwards), Warrick throwing it down over everyone, winning back to back BE Tourney titles in 05' and 06', Gerry's last game, Multiple court stormings: (Senior Night in 07' against GT, GT again in 08'.) Flynn in 09'...the list goes on and on.

Favorite SU player has to be Hakim Warrick, dude was absurdly quick and had the longest arms ever. He had springs in his shoes.

Now that I've graduated and am still local, working in the upstate NY region, I've still been able to make it up to a bunch of games. Was at the GT game in 2010 when we blew them out of the building, and made it to about 4-5 games last year.

Nothing like gameday at the Dome during conference season, or the excitement of being an SU student during March Madness. Nothing like it.

I've forged some great friendships with SU fans due to our shared passion for hoops (Mason's architect younger brother happens to be a close friend) and I look forward to the next 50 years of my SU fandom.
first exposure to Syracuse football coincided with our first family television. My father bought it watch the 1953 Orange Bowl against Alabama. I remember hi cursing the our fatboys were way too slow to play with the Alabama speedsters. basketball was a transfer from the Nats to listening to the college guys and their losing streak which was setting records for futility. Carl Vernick was the star of the team. A good friend and I decided to go to a few home games . Then the announcement that a new coad by the name of Lewis was going to bring in a whole new set of recruits lead by a kid named Bing. My friend and I would go to watch the freshmen games. It was sad to see the crowd leave when the varsity came out toplay. I remember watching that great first team of Bong Penceal Richards and Rick Dean. Later Vaugn Harper and Val Reid would segue the greats we know today . Te hook was set in solid orange since my early days. BTW my first full year of football was 1959. I waited for the big name from the freshmen team to get bumped up to the varsity. I can't recall if the Colgate game was Ernie's first but it was one of hid great ones in any event. We wiped out Colgate and on my way to grab a soda I was high up in the endzone by the Archibold gym looking down on a play. Looking down on the play,it seemed like the whole team at the snap ran to MY lft view when I caught sight of one player running in the opposite direction . He turned the corner and ran the entire length of the field to MY right on the sideline. It was one of Ernie's longest runs from scrimmage . I could not have been more Orange from those moments. I also clearly remember watching Syracuse play UCLA for their last regular season game. I was sitting in front of that same television listening to Curt Gowdy talk about the best two teams in the country being Syracuse's first and second units of the team.;)

There was another math teacher I can't remember his name right now but he looked like Bob Newhart and drew almost perfect circles free hand. I would have to say my favorite teacher was Sam Dantz sp. Taught economics which you had to take in 12 to graduate.
that would be Mr. (Bob) Hughes. Know the family well, he's long since retired and writes some fantastic articles for the Finger Lakes magazine.

I remember him but I had Mr. Wilson. They used to say those two would get cocked in the adjoining room where their office was. It seems like yesterday until I really start thinking about it and trying to remember names.

Haha I remember those rumors too. Wilson was a guy you hated in class but in retrospect was probably the best science teacher I had.
Just glad I didn't pick the front corner seat near the window sill - that poor sap got picked on every day.

born 1949, syracuse ny in tipphill,admittedly a football fan first. been going to games since 1960. both football and hoops,more football though. too many great memories to list. but enjoy reading others. not an alumni, but a fan forever,as many in tipphill were

Born back in 48.
graduated from Maxwell
used to bumper ride to get to Manley for the games
have followed virtually every single game for the last 30 years.
remember the old days sitting at the local public radio station so i could read the ticker tape to keep up with the score of games in progress.
never been to the Carrier Dome but it is on my bucket list.
used to watch live when they played in Anchorage.
I will be in Maui for the games.[/quot
bumper ride ---me too

Ex male stripper and I probably know half of your wives, girlfriends and mothers. Mention "The Pole" and watch their face and if they smile I've met them.

Haha I remember those rumors too. Wilson was a guy you hated in class but in retrospect was probably the best science teacher I had.
Just glad I didn't pick the front corner seat near the window sill - that poor sap got picked on every day.

I sat in the back near the door so I was pretty safe from getting picked on. He used to close his eyes alot when he was speaking but he really was a good teacher. I had some really good teachers there like Tolone and Knapp and a few others I can't even think of their names.

that would be Mr. (Bob) Hughes. Know the family well, he's long since retired and writes some fantastic articles for the Finger Lakes magazine.

Are the articles online at all? I would be interested in reading some of them.

Ex male stripper and I probably know half of your wives, girlfriends and mothers. Mention "The Pole" and watch their face and if they smile I've met them.
Dream on bucko.:rolling:

Born in 1980, grew up in Vermont, but my dad was born and raised in Marcellus and the majority of my family still lives in CNY (Marcellus and Baldwinsville, primarily). I grew up bleeding orange thanks to my dad and our somewhat frequent family trips to Syracuse. My uncle went to SU and wrote for the Post-Standard for years, and was roommates with Bob Gilbert (many of you know him as that middle aged guy with black hair who used to sit behind the bench and give players towels) as a freshman.

I went to SU and graduated in 2003. My brother, also a Syracuse fan, was in law school at SU at the time, so it was awesome that we were both there for the championship.

I used to do a little pregame/post game writing for Mason's old site, which was always a blast.

Now I live in Texas, so sadly I'm unable to get to the Dome much if at all, but I watch everything and anything I can on TV. I used to have a dedicated Syracuse room in my house, but gave it up when my wife and I had a baby last year. My son did, however, come home from the hospital in all Syracuse gear. He will be running the point at SU in about 18 years.

I'm from Marcellus also. Though I was 18 in 1980:)

Born in 1962 and lived my first 14 years in Amber, NY and attended Marcellus Schools. Moved to the Jacks Reef area before my sophmore year and ended up graduating from JE. Didn't pay attention to SU sports until the year they went to that first final four under Roy Danforth and then never stopped being an SU fan.

Never graduated from college but did do a stint in the US Navy and used that to start a career that has taken me away from CNY again, first NJ and now Denver, which we love.

Still SU is the rock that keeps me anchored to my hometown, well other than my family of course:) There's been so many memorable games and times it's hard to pick out the best. The Half Court shot to beat BC in the early 80s, was that Rautins? Watching the final 4 and Championship game against Indiana in 1988 in Pascagoula, Miss and then again in 1996, I loved that team and Otis Hill. 2003 speaks for itself.

These boards started in the early to mid 90s with the emergence of the internet and I've been a part since then, though not on the first AOL one I don't think, but the next iteration. I've had a hand in building some of that internet, but not as much as Al Gore:)

Met a bunch of the long time members at a bar in Liverpool in the 90s, was it Champs. Bee's, CTO, SWC, Jake, Millhouse and the list goes on of great insiders, I just know the history. Used to have great debates in the 90s with one gentleman I don;t see on very much anymmore, but I don't get on too much anymore except to see what I've missed.

The one thing I hate is the negativity that seems to encompass some of the folks who follow SU sports in general. SU is pretty good year in and year out and you'ld thinkwe would have more of a loyal fan base. But much of what I see is pretty negative wiht people taking every chance to trash JB, the University and players like Scoop. As far as I'm concerned it's great to have such a good team in our backyard and I wouldn't change any of it, not even the zone. I'd come around more if it wasn't so negative actually. Still, glad to be a fan:)

Born in 1953. The only sports i was aware of in the 1950's were in my back yard. I have no living memory fo the 1959 national championship- or of Carmen Basilio's career or of the Nats. :bang: That's still the greatest sports era in this burg. Maybe that's why I'm fascinated by the past and like to "live" it by reading aobut it, especially as it was reported at the time.

In 1961, just before the NFL seaosn began, my Dad brought home from a bank a booklet previewing the NFL season. I recall it had a pciture from each's team's glorious past, a 1-2 page write up, a roster and a scheulde for each. Soemhting clikced. i was fascinated by it. Dad and I started to sit down Sunday afternoons and watch the NFL game of the week. he told me that the greatest player was Jimmy Brown and that he ahd played hyere for Syracuse. (He'd taken my older brother to the 1956 Colgate game where Jim scored 43 points). I became a Jim Brown and Cleveland Browns fan. I ahted the Giants because they always seem to beat Jim and the Browns. Geography never met much to me in pro sports. If they weren't "Syracuse", they weren't "us".

The Browns were eliminated from the race on December 10, 1961 when they lost 14-17 at Chicago, after taking a 14-0 lead into the fourth quarter. It looked like Bobby Mitchell might run for the winning touchdown on the last play but he was forced out of bounds on the 9 yard line. I cried myself to sleep that night. I think i actually might have throught there would never be another football season and that the Browns would hnever get another chance to win a championship. They had been ELIMINATED!

Incredibly, U-Tube has the Cleveland Browns highlights for the 1961 season. I actually remember most of the games. Here is the final segment:

Dad said that Syracuse had another Jimmy Brown on the way and that this new guy, Ernie Davis, would be playing in the Browns backfield next to Jim next year. The first SU game I ever watched was the 1961 Liberty Bowl, where Ernie led a second half comeback to beat Miami, 15-14. That was on December 16, 1961. I felt a lot better. A year later I excitedly talked about the coming season when Jim and Ernie would be playing together for the Browns. Nobody had the heart to tell me they wouldn't, or why.

That was my first of 51 seaosns following pro and college football. I followed the Browns as long as they were winning and later did the same with the Broncos due to Floyd Little and the Dolphins due to Larry Csonka. When they all faded, I found myself following the Eagles due to Donovan McNabb and the Colts due to all the cuse players there. Why didn't I follow the Patriots when they had Jim Nance or the Radksins with Art monk or the Giants when they had Joe Morris or now with Tom Coughlin? I have no explanation other than to say that while the ingrediants were there, the oven didn't turn on. I don't know why.

I became a baseball fan when I entered little league in 1964. My team was called the Pirates and we won the championship when the Amercian League champions, the Tigers didn't show up for the title game. Nobody had told them they'd won the pennant. That's the difference between the big leagues and little league: in the big leagues, they tell you if you've won the pennant. I was a Pirates fan for eyars after that, through the "We are Family" days. Then, when they collapsed and got involved in drug scandals, I lost interest, not just in the Pirates but in baseball. I regained it in the mid-eighties when I graviated to the Mets as I liekd their broadcast crew, my best friend at work was a big Mets fan and I liked the idea of rooting for a perennial underdog who ahd the chance to become an overdog. I've stuck with them thro0ugh thick and thin since, reinforced by getting all their games on cable, which I never did with the Pirates.

I became a basketball fan in 1966 when I began reading aobut this SU basketball team with Dave Bing which was threatening to be the first team to average 100 points a game. I recall when they went to play in the "Bruin Classic" in LA and hoped to get a shot at the two time defending national champ-ion UCLA BRuins, who used the zone press jsut like SU. But Vanderbilt and 6-10 Clyde Lee got in the way. SU also came up just short of 100ppg and to Duke in the Eastern regionals. What really clinched things was the following year when SU was suppsoed to be rebuilding and won 19 of their first 21 games. I got my Dad to take me to the St. John's game that year, (they were 18-3 and it was basically a battle to see who the best team in the east was). We led for 39 minutes until Sonny dove jammed through a couple of dunks that made the birds fly all over the Manley rafters.

I again cried myself to sleep. You know you've become a fan when you do that.

SWC you description of Cheering for the Eagles and Colts fits me perfectly, also why I never did the same for Monk and so forth. I did cheer for Monk back then, but not his team. I could never cheer for any Cowboy, so moose was on an island for me. Though I love him now:) I'm still a huge Eagles fan having lived in that aerea for 10 years or so. I feel a bit guilty actually because I was such a rabid giants fan until McNabb went to the Eagles and I move there shortly afterwards. I had season tickets for several years in Philly and it was great though i don't know how I survived with all the alchohol we consumed during that time. i was one of "those" Eagles fans, and they do exist. though I never got to the judge in the bowels of veterans Standium (maybe I should have). LOL.

I'm from Marcellus also. Though I was 18 in 1980:)
You might know one of my aunts, then. My dad was born in '52, but was only the third oldest of 7 kids (5 sisters). I have to admit, though, I don't remember the age difference between my dad and his youngest sister. They lived directly across the street from the big church that's at the Y in the road on Slocumb, just about a hundred feet up from the pizza place that use to be Froggers (we got pizza from there every time we came to town when I was a kid).

Born in 1962 and lived my first 14 years in Amber, NY and attended Marcellus Schools. Moved to the Jacks Reef area before my sophmore year and ended up graduating from JE. Didn't pay attention to SU sports until the year they went to that first final four under Roy Danforth and then never stopped being an SU fan.

Never graduated from college but did do a stint in the US Navy and used that to start a career that has taken me away from CNY again, first NJ and now Denver, which we love.

Still SU is the rock that keeps me anchored to my hometown, well other than my family of course:) There's been so many memorable games and times it's hard to pick out the best. The Half Court shot to beat BC in the early 80s, was that Rautins? Watching the final 4 and Championship game against Indiana in 1988 in Pascagoula, Miss and then again in 1996, I loved that team and Otis Hill. 2003 speaks for itself.

These boards started in the early to mid 90s with the emergence of the internet and I've been a part since then, though not on the first AOL one I don't think, but the next iteration. I've had a hand in building some of that internet, but not as much as Al Gore:)

Met a bunch of the long time members at a bar in Liverpool in the 90s, was it Champs. Bee's, CTO, SWC, Jake, Millhouse and the list goes on of great insiders, I just know the history. Used to have great debates in the 90s with one gentleman I don;t see on very much anymmore, but I don't get on too much anymore except to see what I've missed.

The one thing I hate is the negativity that seems to encompass some of the folks who follow SU sports in general. SU is pretty good year in and year out and you'ld thinkwe would have more of a loyal fan base. But much of what I see is pretty negative wiht people taking every chance to trash JB, the University and players like Scoop. As far as I'm concerned it's great to have such a good team in our backyard and I wouldn't change any of it, not even the zone. I'd come around more if it wasn't so negative actually. Still, glad to be a fan:)

"Used to have great debates in the 90s with one gentleman I don;t see on very much anymmore"

Does anyone know what happened to SU%%?

Slow day at the office...so I thought I'd throw this out here.

Where are we all from/what's our SU fan story?

For me, although I remember watching Orangemen teams with Preston Shumpert, Jason Hart and Etan Thomas back as a teenager living in NJ in the late 90's on ESPN, my fandom didn't really start until I took a trip to SU during the 2003 NCAA tournament run to see where I was going to be going to school that next fall. It was a cold and rainy day that Friday (I'm sure many of the students were in Albany watching the sweet 16), but once I saw the Orange spirit throughout that NCAA run, I was hooked.

I was unlucky enough to arrive on the hill one year after the NC Season in 03', but lucky enough to witness a TON of terrific Orange ball while I was there. Was a student season ticket holder for four years of undergrad, plus two more of graduate school right afterwards. Don't think I missed a home basketball game from 03-04' to 08-09'.

Many memorable moments. The Terrence Roberts three to beat Rutgers in 06' (and the fur coat he wore afterwards), Warrick throwing it down over everyone, winning back to back BE Tourney titles in 05' and 06', Gerry's last game, Multiple court stormings: (Senior Night in 07' against GT, GT again in 08'.) Flynn in 09'...the list goes on and on.

Favorite SU player has to be Hakim Warrick, dude was absurdly quick and had the longest arms ever. He had springs in his shoes.

Now that I've graduated and am still local, working in the upstate NY region, I've still been able to make it up to a bunch of games. Was at the GT game in 2010 when we blew them out of the building, and made it to about 4-5 games last year.

Nothing like gameday at the Dome during conference season, or the excitement of being an SU student during March Madness. Nothing like it.

I've forged some great friendships with SU fans due to our shared passion for hoops (Mason's architect younger brother happens to be a close friend) and I look forward to the next 50 years of my SU fandom.

My first recollection of SU hoops was in the 2nd grade. A friend, from Sumner elementary, his Dad was somehow affiliated with the University. In the past, I’ve thought the year was 1968, but it could have been as early as 1966 since I would’ve only been about 6 years old. They had an extra ticket.
One thing is for sure, they were definitely playing Army. Prowling in front of the Cadet bench was a fiery dark haired fellow, by the name of Bobby Knight. SU won the game, but it was a fight the whole way.
In the 70’s, it was convenient & relatively affordable for a teen (pre-teen) SU fan to use the bus, buy a ticket & have money left over for a dog. So…pretty much from the swan song of Bill Smith & Kid Kohls, through the storied careers of Dennis DuVal, Jimmy Lee, Kevin King, Rudy Hackett & Jim Williams, I attended roughly 75% of the home games. I actually went through 3 years of high school with Marty Headd, Earl Belcher & Pat Murphy.
In 1976, my family relocated to the central valley of California. One important aspect of my being was not relocated, however. That of course is my life long affection & loyalty to SU hoops.
GO ORANGE!!!!!!!

I might be the oldest, but then again...born in Scranton, home of Jerry Mac, BS from Pitt in '59, MS from the Cuse in '69, used to go to every Pitt-Cuse football game evry other year at old Archbold then the Dome---missed a few but not many---I81 didn't exist in the early years, had to go Rt 11--saw most of the great Cuse RBs in the 50s and thereafter---still get up to the dome for football almost every year, have lived near Binghamton the last 40 years or so

Any more cool stories out there? Thanks to those who've contributed so far!

I'm currently a junior at Syracuse with a double major in Whitman and a minor in Psychology.

I grew up in Rochester, so the closest thing we had to a pro basketball team was the Syracuse Orange. My dad took me to my first game the year we won the championship (Syracuse vs. Boston College). From that day on, I was hooked. Josh Pace was my favorite player (although my dad bought me a Kueth Duany jersey to wear to the games). The other game I went to that I distinctly remember was the Pittsburgh game when the fans rushed the court 2 or 3 times. My dad happened to work with Jim Boeheim's niece or something like that so he was able to get us tickets sitting with Gerry McNamara's family.

Basically, from that day on, I dreamed of being the point guard at Syracuse, but as I worked my way through high school, it started to become clearer to me that that wasn't going to happen (although I honestly think I could make the team as a walk-on, but I'd rather focus on my grades and just enjoying college than sacrificing the amount of time it would take to ride the bench). I ended up writing about this in an essay when I applied for a scholarship at Syracuse (not the walk-on part, just the dream of playing for Syracuse and how badly I wanted to go there).

Anyways, my family isn't very well-off, so when it came to applying for college, I applied to UAlbany, Buffalo, SUNY Fredonia, and then Syracuse and Boston College just to see if I got in. I ended up being accepted to UAlbany and got a scholarship so it was extremely affordable for my family, so I basically settled into the idea that I was going there (which was cool, because my best friend from high school was also going there). And then one night, when I was out to dinner with my friends, my parents called me and when I answered the phone, all I could hear was my mom sobbing. I asked them what was going on and since my mom couldn't speak, my dad told me that I had been accepted to Syracuse and that I had gotten a scholarship that would cover the full tuition, basically making it cheaper for me to go to Syracuse than it was for my brother to go to SUNY Fredonia.

And that's how I ended up here. Been a big fan ever since that first game in the championship year, and now I can proudly say that I will graduate in a year and be an SU Alum.

• i work with sherman's daughter's mother. the daughter is prob going to cuse next year.

I think it was last year or the year before that (too old to remember) that I saw Sherman and spoke to his daughter. She was so cute and sweet. Sherman said he brought her for a visit because she was interested in coming to SU. She seemed to be having a wonderful time and Sherman looked great, slim and dressed so classy. Funny until I saw him and started talking to him no one seemed to recognize him. CTO was there and had a conversation with him also. He was very unassuming. Looking at him and his size, it made it that more amazing everything he accomplished here.

By the way Mason I miss OrangeRob also. Great story you shared. Wonder where he disappeared to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom