Where do ACC players come from? | Syracusefan.com

Where do ACC players come from?

Crusty

Living Legend
Much has been said about the recruiting challenges SU football faces so I thought I would take a look at where all ACC teams get their players. The table below is for the 2020 season (active players). I have included the total roster size, home state players and the next three top states for each ACC team.
We are last in number of players from home state (no surprise here) and last is roster size with Boston College (a bit of a surprise).
  • Outside of FSU, Miami and Georgia Tech we are tied for the next most Florida players (17)
  • Boston College has only one fewer NYS player than SU (13 vs 14)
  • Only 8 ACC teams have NYS players
  • The top 5 states in the ACC are FL (294); GA (248); NC (212); VA (125) and SC (82)
  • The average OL on ACC rosters was 18.6. GT (23) and Clemson (21) had the highest BC and SU the lowest with 16
  • There are an average of 16.2 WR (SU(15) with NCS the highest with 19 and BC the lowest with 11
ACC Rosters.JPG

EDIT:
The average ACC player height is 6'1" (SU 6'2") and the average weight is 232 (SU 229).

Last edited:
Good stuff.

Much has been said about the recruiting challenges SU football faces so I thought I would take a look at where all ACC teams get their players. The table below is for the 2020 season (active players). I have included the total roster size, home state players and the next three top states for each ACC team.
We are last in number of players from home state (no surprise here) and last is roster size with Boston College (a bit of a surprise).
  • Outside of FSU, Miami and Georgia Tech we are tied for the next most Florida players (17)
  • Boston College has only one fewer NYS players than SU (13 vs 14)
  • Only 8 ACC teams have NYS players
  • The top 5 states in the ACC are FL (294); G (248); NC (212); VA (125) and SC (82)
  • The average OL on ACC rosters was 18.6. GT (23) and Clemson (21) had the highest BC and SU the lowest with 16
  • There are an average of 16.2 WR (SU(15) with NCS the highest with 19 and BC the lowest with 11
View attachment 191991
EDIT:
The average ACC player height is 6'1" (SU 6'2") and the average weight is 232 (SU 229).
I think we should have more NJ talent. We are in the northeast minority within the conference and seem to be behind in that race too. Our non-conference neigbors hit NJ pretty hard too.

I think a hybrid of BC and Pitt should be our recruiting model.

We should probably have close to a dozen kids from each region below. At the very least we should have a half dozen. Some regions we should have well over a dozen. Some regions we will be slightly below. But IMO that should be our general makeup.

NY State
FL
NYC Tri State (NJ-Conn)
PA-OH
D-M-V (DC-MD-VA)
South (NC-SC-GA)

Fantastic work!

First thing that leaps out to me... We have 23 kids from NY and NJ, while BC has 27. Granted, I’m sure there’s more context to those numbers, but at first blush that seems like a problem. Winning a few more battles in NY, NJ and PA would likely be a big help.

Fantastic work!

First thing that leaps out to me... We have 23 kids from NY and NJ, while BC has 27. Granted, I’m sure there’s more context to those numbers, but at first blush that seems like a problem. Winning a few more battles in NY, NJ and PA would likely be a big help.
BC has the Catholic school connections.