Where do we want to be sitting when the music stops? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where do we want to be sitting when the music stops?

You can pay players and have them be students.

Way smaller potatoes, but … My wife works at a college and has students who also get paid to do a job for the school they attend.

The lie NCAA peddled for years was that you had to be an amateur to be a student athlete.
We will just disagree on the basic premise here. JMO

There is a reason the NFL does not have a minor league, the main reason being no one cares. Forming a semi-pro college league without covering the nation is a recipe for failure.

People watch college ball because they have direct ties to the college, whatever that tie may be. The northeast is not going to tune in to the Old Miss v. Miss. State. They will watch their local school or something else, or worse...they will go rake leaves!

ESPN and Fox know what they are doing, keeping the schools/conferences fighting each other rather than working together to combine into one bargaining unit.

I have no doubts that a few schools and a few fan bases will support a semi-pro league with only nominal ties to their respective namesake schools, but it isn't enough for nationwide interest.

Further, the top dogs may stay the same but the zero sum gain of a very narrow semi-pro league will force several mid-level teams into the bottom feeder role, likely losing support when they become perennial losers.

Should it happen, I want SU to remain academically minded, remaining true to their mission. Just one more opinion on the record.
I think the reason there has been no minor league is because a) it’s too expensive and b) the colleges are already the de facto minor league. Colleges should have pushed back against serving that role a long time ago.

If the factories break off and form their own league, I will watch them. Just as I would watch a more academic minded league. I watch mid-week MAC games and I have no rooting interest in any of those teams. That is because I love football.
If you think about it, how much different would it be from now? You know that there are maybe a dozen schools (and that is being generous) who have a chance to win a NC. Cincinnati was a nice story last year but they had zero chance of winning it all.
All that said, do I like what is going on in college football? No, I wish we could go back 30-40 years when there was a bit more parity. What I love about college football is the pageantry, the rivalries, the traditions. Some of that is being lost and I hate it. But I will still watch.

50 yard line Dome getting ready for the Stanford game. First game of the 2026 season. Next game on the road at Army.

50 yard line Dome getting ready for the Stanford game. First game of the 2026 season. Next game on the road at Army.

...going 10-3 2-3 years in a row. :rolleyes:

If the factories break off and form their own league, I will watch them. Just as I would watch a more academic minded league. I watch mid-week MAC games and I have no rooting interest in any of those teams. That is because I love football.
If you think about it, how much different would it be from now? You know that there are maybe a dozen schools (and that is being generous) who have a chance to win a NC. Cincinnati was a nice story last year but they had zero chance of winning it all.
All that said, do I like what is going on in college football? No, I wish we could go back 30-40 years when there was a bit more parity. What I love about college football is the pageantry, the rivalries, the traditions. Some of that is being lost and I hate it. But I will still watch.

You want more parity? Bring back one platoon football. Let the pros specialize. Let college players audition on both sides of the ball. Let linemen be 250 pound free-style wrestlers instead of 350 pound sumo wrestlers. Their hearts will last longer. Let rosters and coaching staffs be this size:

syracuse-football-1959-team-57083b3809d92dc9.jpg

Also more $$$ for title IX compliance and maybe some more men's teams in other sports.

You want more parity? Bring back one platoon football. Let the pros specialize. Let college players audition on both sides of the ball. Let linemen be 250 pound free-style wrestlers instead of 350 pound sumo wrestlers. Their hearts will last longer. Let rosters and coaching staffs be this size:

Also more $$$ for title IX compliance and maybe some more men's teams in other sports.
Unfortunately Steve those bygone days will never come back. Big Money corrupts, and that's what it did in college sports.
The days of competing as hard as you could and at the end of the day leaving as friends is long gone.

If big-time football breaks away from the NCAA, what form would it take? All of FBS? The Power 5? The football factories in their own mini-NFL? And where would we want to be? Trying to compete with the football factories or settling down to be the equivalent of a mid-major in today's football set up but playing other schools with similar profiles for a championship we might actually win? SU will want to be where it can make the most money. But will that be the best place to be competitively?
I think NIL will be regulated. In time, ACC will be fine. Bumpy road for couple of years.

One thing folks have to realize. All ACC fans complain about our contract in high 20's (millions) for revenue...small compared to B10 and SEC...but that deal goes to 2036 with GOR...the GOR is what has protected ACC teams.

Anyone want to get $38 million and end GOR? How'd that likely work out??...

I think the reason there has been no minor league is because a) it’s too expensive and b) the colleges are already the de facto minor league. Colleges should have pushed back against serving that role a long time ago.
Plus, colleges make a ton of money. Yes, it is a minor league in talent...but nothing minor league about the revenues. NIL will test fan enthusiasm.

Do you really care about watching Texas A& M vs Anybody?...while they pay every recruit a million dollars...I will not spend one minute watching that garbage. Miami, USC..others schools paying players...these are slush funds set up by boosters. Has nothing to do with NIL. It's cheating...I'd rather watch Syracuse play Wagner...I don't think I'm alone...this new era of college FB is going to be a major turnoff for a lot of college FB fans. I'd estimate, more than half the fans nationally. Many will soon becone "former" college FB fans.

I think NIL will be regulated. In time, ACC will be fine. Bumpy road for couple of years.

One thing folks have to realize. All ACC fans complain about our contract in high 20's (millions) for revenue...small compared to B10 and SEC...but that deal goes to 2036 with GOR...the GOR is what has protected ACC teams.

Anyone want to get $38 million and end GOR? How'd that likely work out??...

GOR = "Grant of Rights"

ACC approves Grant of Rights deal

I'm in the camp that aligns with the academic college and universities league(s). Let the factories and whoever they deem worthy of being part of the money grab break away and form whatever they want. Losing 20-30 teams would help level the playing field. I wouldn't mind seeing the service academys being competitive again, which i believe would occur. We would obviously take a pay cut from the TV contracts but as long as we're on a level financial playing field, I'd be ok with that. I mean if you look at the playoffs since they began its literally the same teams year after year with a handful of others that sneak in every so often, so IMHO I dont think we are really losing all that much if it occurred

It's tough, college football loses a lot of appeal to me if it not a national sport, same for college hoops. But I think SU will end up in a solid spot.

Having weight limits by position is a very interesting idea.

Us to Colgate - "Mind if we sit down at this table?"

It's tough, college football loses a lot of appeal to me if it not a national sport, same for college hoops. But I think SU will end up in a solid spot.
If college FB goes down this pay to play route where programs like Miami and USC and Texas and Texas A & M just pay players to strictly play football...then I want out.

I will add that I think there is already a push back against this and in next 2-3 years I expect to see new rules which hopefully fix this disaster.

But say it does not get fixed. That pay to play becomes the new model of college football. First, it will ruin college FB..it will never be the same...second, I would hope Syracuse would create new league with like minded good academic Eastern schools...Pitt, BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Army, Navy, Vanderbilt, etc...perhaps even Notre Dame...thought I doubt it. Their fan base would demand they pay.

If college FB goes down this pay to play route where programs like Miami and USC and Texas and Texas A & M just pay players to strictly play football...then I want out.

I will add that I think there is already a push back against this and in next 2-3 years I expect to see new rules which hopefully fix this disaster.

But say it does not get fixed. That pay to play becomes the new model of college football. First, it will ruin college FB..it will never be the same...second, I would hope Syracuse would create new league with like minded good academic Eastern schools...Pitt, BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Army, Navy, Vanderbilt, etc...perhaps even Notre Dame...thought I doubt it. Their fan base would demand they pay.
Notre Dame is on record (obviously, that's no guarantee) that they want no part of a "league" where players are not required to go to class.

We'll see. I can't imagine Syracuse would go that route. At least, I would hope not.

We will just disagree on the basic premise here. JMO
I don’t even know the argument for the side you’re taking. It’s all good though, honestly and truthfully. Another time, maybe.

Notre Dame is on record (obviously, that's no guarantee) that they want no part of a "league" where players are not required to go to class.

We'll see. I can't imagine Syracuse would go that route. At least, I would hope not.
I know Notre Dame said this. As the old saying goes...talk is cheap. I also know many Notre Dame fans. They will never accept dropping down. Lets be honest about class too.
Texas A & M and USC don't send players to class now.

I know Notre Dame said this. As the old saying goes...talk is cheap. I also know many Notre Dame fans. They will never accept dropping down. Lets be honest about class too.
Texas A & M and USC don't send players to class now.
ND is consistent imo. Their decisions may not be beneficial to the ACC but they march to their drum and it has shown to not be to chase the last dollar.

I truly believe ND will remain academic leaning. The schools academic mission has been in place longer than football.

ND is consistent imo. Their decisions may not be beneficial to the ACC but they march to their drum and it has shown to not be to chase the last dollar.

I truly believe ND will remain academic leaning. The schools academic mission has been in place longer than football.
It is also a school driven by alumni and a huge subway alumni. Many big time boosters too...who don't want to play Williams and Colgate weekly.

ND was/is willing to leave lots of dollars on the table to be a football independent.

They think that it is worth it to the school to do so, for football and non-sports reasons.

It considers that lost money as simply the cost of doing business as a football independent.

But, having to surrender independence AND having to drop down to a Tier 2 level conference paying $40-50 million a year less than the P2 conferences?

I don't think that will happen. That makes little business sense.

(I think that the Supreme Court will rule in the near future that athletes are direct school employees. That will mean, in either model, the schools, even "academic model" ones, will be required to do "pay for play" or quit sponsoring sports)

Its possible that ND may try to stay a football independent AND be in an "academic mission" model, paying the players directly but trying to tie playing to academic standing.

(I am not sure that this will be legal if all "academic model" schools act in concert to impose this limitation on earnings. That may also be deemed an anti-trust violation)

But, I have little doubt the ND administration will strongly consider this.

There has been a conflict between academics and football for decades. The administration has often "embarrassed" by football overshadowing academics at ND.

ND has self-imposed limits on football and run off successful coaches in the past (Leahy, Ara, Holtz). It is pretty well documented.

But, I agree with Boggs that the big donors, alumni and fan base will massively revolt at the idea and ND will end up in the top level of football, in a Tier 1 conference, most likely the expanded Big Ten (yuck).

I came to that conclusion shortly after reading the Alston opinion.

It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out.

Last edited:
Based on current (and projected) media deals for the Big 10 and SEC, I don’t think a super conference format will be able to happen for at least a decade. It will be interesting what happens with the PAC 12 and Big 12 media deals as they will signal if the P5 will be viable long term. The real question for the ACC is can the traditional ACC football powers, Clemson and Florida State, remain competitive with their SEC rivals given the large financial disadvantage. If they can keep ACC football relevant, the ACC should be able to hold together through the GORs.

Hypothetically, if attending classes were to no longer be required, what’s the rationale for having players for four (or five) years? Why not just let guys play for as long as they want? Or more accurately, as long as they can? Kids don’t get drafted? Keep playing for good Ole Alabama Football until you just get too old and beat up.

Or this…. What’s the message to kids growing up? Don’t worry about school… you play football!

Based on current (and projected) media deals for the Big 10 and SEC, I don’t think a super conference format will be able to happen for at least a decade. It will be interesting what happens with the PAC 12 and Big 12 media deals as they will signal if the P5 will be viable long term. The real question for the ACC is can the traditional ACC football powers, Clemson and Florida State, remain competitive with their SEC rivals given the large financial disadvantage. If they can keep ACC football relevant, the ACC should be able to hold together through the GORs.
If the teams in the ACC that want to play big time college football are making 50 million dollars+ less than teams in the B1G and the SEC, they will leave if they have a chance to. The GOR won't stop them as they can break even in a couple of years. Syracuse is in a unique position in this because of their history and position of being the only program in New York/New England that would be considered to play in the P2. They can go either way.