Where do you draft Clowney? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where do you draft Clowney?

Anyone who drives a Chrysler product at 110 MPH needs a serious mental exam.

Too much baggage for a first round pick when you add up all the chatter. But some dumbas$ G.M. will role the dice.

He'll be a bust wherever he's drafted. Aundray Bruce all over.

Rams are gonna give Bradford another shot. He signed for 50 mil of guaranteed $ in 2011. I imagine they will take Clowney at 2 and draft a QB at 13 or later in the draft in rounds 2 or 3. I'd like them to take Evans at 13.

I'd be shocked and annoyed if Clowney doesn't go to St. Louis at #2.
Evans from aTm? he strikes me as a hothead mess. I've seen him disappear a few times and also really lose his composure. There are a ton of good WRs this year (Lee, Watkins and the LSU boys come to mind) so I would pass on Evans.

For NASCAR I take him #1

No doubt, he's like Maverick out there..."He's got the need for speed!".

I think of Bridgewater last year with all the injuries he had and he still played and Clowney gets a hangnail and he's out. Terrific talent but it just may depend on need and the other talent available on how high this guy goes.

most of the NFL bottom feeders seem to have QB as #1 priority.

hes a no good bum who needs to be taught the lesson and should be dropped out of the top 10.

you people are right, with all shenanigans he pulled this year he should be toxic.

i actually agree with everyone on here for once.

he should be drafted with the 12th pick.

thatll show him and all future headcases......

Last edited:
most of the NFL bottom feeders seem to have QB as #1 priority.

You can get a bunch of guys in the second or third rounds though unless teams are really reaching and there is a run on qb's.

The kid is by far the best DE prospect to enter the NFL in the last 10 years. His heart though this past season showed he was playing not to get hurt and protect his NFL future. You could tell Steve Spurrier knew the kid didn't play his best and didn't want to rip him publicly because he realizes how unfair it is for these kids to have to spend 3 years in college and not be able to make a little money at all(unless they play college basketball for John Caliapri and they have PayPal accounts.)

I don't think Houston will draft Clowney, but I think the Rams will trade the 2nd pick to whomever wants Clowney and will pickup a 2015 1st pick for their troubles. The trade I would think that makes the most sense is St. Louis trading the 2nd overall pick to Atlanta for the 6th overall pick, 2014 2nd round pick, 2015 1st round pick. Now I think this is a trade I wouldn't do, but Atlanta fell apart this year, but is really close to the Super Bowl and their pass rush sucks. Stick Clowney in the Georgia Dome with that noise and that offense getting Julio Jones back and they are contender next year with a last place schedule to boot. Clowney wouldn't be too far from home in Atlanta and I think he becomes a double digit sack guy his rookie year.

Clowney is the most talented player overall in the draft IMO. However, you just need the kid's heart/motor to match his talent. He is sorta like Julius Peppers, but even a little more talented I believe.

Atl I think is in the 6 slot and will take him if he drops, but will he? Some scouts will be drooling over his meaurables.
I think the kid set a record today for taking the least time after a bowl game to declare for the draft. Did he just take the year off? Or were the expectations set too high by the media?
Too early for draft talk I know, but I saw the news on espn today and started wondering.

I think he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round. Who is going to take a chance and pay that much money to somebody who is not really in love with playing the game? These kind of intangibles are important when it comes to teams making multi-million dollar investments in draft picks.

Randy Moss had way MORE baggage than Jadeveon Clowney and he went 21st overall in the NFL draft. The kid will have to answer for his no-show this season, but NFL scouts will drool over his measurables and Sophomore tape. No way this kid falls out of the top 5 unless he has a red flag medical issue.

I think he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round. Who is going to take a chance and pay that much money to somebody who is not really in love with playing the game? These kind of intangibles are important when it comes to teams making multi-million dollar investments in draft picks.

Matt, seriously 2nd or 3rd round? WOW

not trying to rip your logic, but noway he falls out of first round.

really?

what if hes so in love with playing the game he wanted to make sure he could play it for $$$???

he needs a strong lockerroom, veteran leadership and a no-nonsense coach.

if theres a team out there that fits this, he should go there.

wait......

really?

what if hes so in love with playing the game he wanted to make sure he could play it for $$$???

wait...

Exactly, I seem to remember the same being said about JPP pre draft on a smaller scale. I remember seeing him in the dome, at the time I sat behind the visiting bench, dude is/was a freak of nature

Anyone who drives a Chrysler product at 110 MPH needs a serious mental exam.

Too much baggage for a first round pick when you add up all the chatter. But some dumbas$ G.M. will role the dice.
Haha, about the first comment. I think it's been a while since you've been in one. The Chrysler 300 is based on the same chassis as the Mercedes E-class.

Exactly my thoughts with the second comment. All too often, talented arrogant guys end up being busts.
With good scouting you can find a Chandler Jones and avoid the headaches that come with a prima donna that's been told how dominant he is his whole life.

Exactly, I seem to remember the same being said about JPP pre draft on a smaller scale. I remember seeing him in the dome, at the time I sat behind the visiting bench, dude is/was a freak of nature
Chandler Jones was billed as a JPP type player and I would say 6 sacks as a rookie and 11.5 sacks as a 2nd year guy are comparable to JPP who had 4.5 sacks as a rookie and 16.5 sacks as a 2nd year guy. Chandler plays the nose tackle in obvious passing situations for the Pats like JPP does for the Giants.

Clowney is a better pro prospect than JPP by far. Clowney's Sophomore season was great with 13 sacks, and facing all those double teams. Clowney is a legit top 5 pick. JPP was more raw, but oozed upside that the Giants coached out of him. I think comparing Clowney to a guy like Julius Peppers is a little closer than JPP.

Chandler Jones was billed as a JPP type player and I would say 6 sacks as a rookie and 11.5 sacks as a 2nd year guy are comparable to JPP who had 4.5 sacks as a rookie and 16.5 sacks as a 2nd year guy. Chandler plays the nose tackle in obvious passing situations for the Pats like JPP does for the Giants.

Clowney is a better pro prospect than JPP by far. Clowney's Sophomore season was great with 13 sacks, and facing all those double teams. Clowney is a legit top 5 pick. JPP was more raw, but oozed upside that the Giants coached out of him. I think comparing Clowney to a guy like Julius Peppers is a little closer than JPP.

I think Peppers had a cleaner resume than Clowney.

really?

wait...
I don't agree that he will fall out of the first round, but I don't think a guy that loves the game dogs it because he's thinking about money. Guys that truly love the game play hard because that's the only way they know how to play. The whole reason Michael Jordan had his "love of the game" clause put in his contracts was so he could play basketball in the off season with no restrictions. If Clowney is thinking about the money now, how much is he going to worry about staying healthy and collecting his checks once he signs a contract?

I very much agree with your other comments.

I don't agree that he will fall out of the first round, but I don't think a guy that loves the game dogs it because he's thinking about money. Guys that truly love the game play hard because that's the only way they know how to play. The whole reason Michael Jordan had his "love of the game" clause put in his contracts was so he could play basketball in the off season with no restrictions. If Clowney is thinking about the money now, how much is he going to worry about staying healthy and collecting his checks once he signs a contract?

I very much agree with your other comments.
If you were forced to spend 3 years doing something for free and proved after 2 years you were ready for the next level, but because of a rule that may make sense for 99% of others but not you was around would you risk blowing a knee out like Willis McGahaee at Miami or other guys and play the game as hard as you can and risk injury and losing millions of dollars?

While I don't like what Clowney did this year I completely understand what he did. Look what happened to his teammate last year Marcus Lattimore. Lattimore would have been a 2nd round pick last year if he didn't get a horrific knee injury, but he went in the 5th round because the NFL makes kids wait 3 years. The NFL rule makes sense, but their should always be exceptions to the rules. Clowney could have physically played in the NFL this season, but had no choice to wait 1 more year.

If Clowney decided to sit the entire season out which a couple of people in the media like Michael Wilbon said he should he would get ripped more. Instead, the kid played, but not with a high motor and people are rightfully questioning him. However, there is no doubt this kid is the most talented player at DE coming into the NFL Draft. I don't think he will fall out of the top 5 once he interviews and if he gives satisfactory answers for what I said above.

If i'm Houston, I trade for Nassib and take Bromley 1st. :cool:

If you were forced to spend 3 years doing something for free and proved after 2 years you were ready for the next level, but of a rule that may make sense for 99% of others, but not you was around would you risk blowing a knee out like Willis McGahaee at Miami or other guys and play the game, but not risk injury? While I don't like what Clowney did this year I completely understand what he did. Look what happened to his teammate last year Marcus Lattimore. Lattimore would have been a 2nd round pick last year if he didn't get a horrific knee injury, but he went in the 5th round because the NFL makes kids wait 3 years. The NFL rule makes sense, but their should always be exceptions to the rules. Clowney could have physically played in the NFL this season, but had no choice to, but to wait 1 more year.

If Clowney decided to sit the entire season out which a couple of people in the media like Michael Wilbon said he should he would get ripped more. Instead, the kid played, but not with a high motor and people are rightfully questioning him. However, there is no doubt this kid is the most talented player at DE coming into the NFL Draft. I don't think he will fall out of the top 5 once he interviews and if he gives satisfactory answers for what I said above.
I'm not arguing that he wasn't thinking about his financial future. Guys that play because they truly love the game don't think about that. I'll use another MJ reference. When he broke his ankle in his second season, the Bulls wanted to play it safe (for his future) and shut him down for the rest of the season and playoffs. He refused because he wanted to play. He could have pulled a Derrick Rose and nobody would have questioned it, but he truly played for the love of the game.

I'm not saying he's not talented. He's the most talented guy in this draft, but the history of the NFL is littered with talented busts or guys that hurt their teams because they used their talent only when they wanted to. Will he be that guy? I don't know one way or the other. I don't think he'll drop out of the top 5 either, I just wouldn't take him that high.

As far as the NFL rule goes I have no problem with it. Things happen to people. That's life and life's not fair. It's the NFL's responsibility to look out for itself, not every individual that seeks to be employed by them. As I said before, if he dogged it because he was worried about his NFL future while he was in college, as an NFL GM, I would wonder if he was going to dog it to avoid injuries so he could keep collecting his paycheck too. Not everyone would think like that, but I would.

Last edited:
did the NFL change the rules on how much it pays rookies in their 1st. contract.

if so, I could see this clown playing the game of fake injuries depending on who he lines up against just to get that next contract that pays the real money.

After that where's the incentive to earn the pay. Just that hearing stories like him is not all that common in college football coming from the staff the way it happened.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I just don't get all the hype.

texans already got jj watts. (drafted 11). pass rusher cameron wake was playing in canada. houston goes qb.

Draft experts have many doubts about his character and his work ethic. He is not skilled, just very athletic. They're not sure if he will work hard enough on the development of his skills to make it big in the NFL.

Sounds tailor made for the Raiders at #5