Where do you draft Clowney? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where do you draft Clowney?

Anyone who drives a Chrysler Fiat product at 110 MPH needs a serious mental exam.

Too much baggage for a first round pick when you add up all the chatter. But some dumbas$ G.M. will role the dice.

FIFY

This years draft version of Teo...this is going to be an over talked about subject to the n'th degree.

Haha, about the first comment. I think it's been a while since you've been in one. The Chrysler 300 is based on the same chassis as the Mercedes E-class.

Exactly my thoughts with the second comment. All too often, talented arrogant guys end up being busts.
With good scouting you can find a Chandler Jones and avoid the headaches that come with a prima donna that's been told how dominant he is his whole life.

and this happened at 100mph plus....http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/01/03/paul-walker-coroner-report/4306673/

don't care what the ride was, he is plain fuking nuts when there is families on the roads...plus he did it twice that we know of.

with more access to bigger bucks, he scares the hell out of me with his need for speed

and this happened at 100mph plus...http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/01/03/paul-walker-coroner-report/4306673/

don't care what the ride was, he is plain fuking nuts when there is families on the roads...plus he did it twice that we know of.

with more access to bigger bucks, he scares the hell out of me with his need for speed
Just busting on you about the Chrysler comment. The car wouldn't be the problem. Those cars are driven that fast in Europe on a regular basis. It's the guy deciding to drive that fast where it's not legal/safe. Yeah, a guy as arrogant as him with means to purchase street legal race cars, is a scary thought.

I don't see his current issues affecting his draft stock, unless there are drug issues that I don't know about or he really blows it in interviews. He will be asked some difficult questions, but as long as he keeps his composure, he'll be fine and go somewhere in the top 5.

The top 5 picks:
1. Houston - needs a QB
2. St. Louis - needs offense
3. Jacksonville - needs a QB
4. Cleveland - needs a QB
5. Oakland - needs best player available

The top QBs (in no particular order): Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr. Then a big dropoff. It's going to depend on how the teams rank the QBs. Like most every year, you'll see the rankings of these four change several times before draft day.

If Houston has a clear favorite QB, they'll stand pat and take him. They won't draft Carr (been there, done that), so they might consider a tradedown with St. Louis (if the Texans can make them think that someone going after a player they covet is angling up past them) or Jacksonville (if they don't have a preference for the percieved top QB and want to save some $ and grab an extra pick later on). Dropping to #4 is too risky.

The Rams (who are playing with house money with the #2 from the skins) might be happy with Clowney or the aTm lineman at #2. If they love one of them, they could move up to ensure the selection. More likely, they could look to trade down to a spot where the offensive playmakers are slotted. The Vikings could dangle the #7 to get themselves a QB of the future if they don't like what might be left for them. Anyone else wanting Clowney should look here too. I could see the Cowboys moving up here to get Johnny Football if the Texans don't take him. It makes little sense with their defensive needs, but we're talking about Jerry Jones here - he'll want to make a splash. Maybe he moves up for Clowney to beat on the other QBs in the division?

Jags gotta have a new QB. Bortles is the logical choice and is slotted here. If he moves up during the combines, they could do a swap with St. Louis to ensure either Bortles or Bridgewater.

Cleveland needs a QB and might draft one here. Still stinging from drafting Weeden and with Hoyer showing a little promise before gettting hurt, they might try to grab a free agent though. They could then deal this pick to a team wanting one of the top QBs, like the Vikings at #7. Or stand pat and take Clowney or the aTm lineman.

I don't think the Raiders have given up on Pryor yet. If Clowney is still here, they take him. Otherwise, the best non-QB available.

Clowney is a beast and will be a perennial All-Pro player.

Playing for money is a damn good motivator. Give me a break. Clowney goes top 5 last year if the rules let him come out. The only thing that changed is more media deciding to interpret all his actions as negative and forcing the narrative about him to become that. Dude didn't want to get hurt and shatter his dreams. Accomplished everything he needed to as a college DE.

Clowney is a beast and will be a perennial All-Pro player.

Playing for money is a damn good motivator. Give me a break. Clowney goes top 5 last year if the rules let him come out. The only thing that changed is more media deciding to interpret all his actions as negative and forcing the narrative about him to become that. Dude didn't want to get hurt and shatter his dreams. Accomplished everything he needed to as a college DE.
He probably will go top 5 and has been a dominant college player when he's chosen to be. Being a dominant college player does not guarantee NFL dominance.

Mario Williams - 2 pro-bowls in 6 seasons
Courtney Brown - 0 pro-bowls in 7 seasons
Dan Wilkinson - 0 pro-bowls in 13 seasons
Steve Entman - 0 pro-bowls in 8 seasons
Russell Maryland - 1 pro-bowl in 10 seasons

Those are the last 5 d-lineman taken #1 overall, indicating their college dominance, and Mario Williams has been the closest thing to dominant.

Money, by itself, is only a good motivator until you have it, see Albert Haynesworth. Former NFL players say all of the time you play hard for the guy playing next to you. If he didn't do that in college, I'd be concerned about whether he'd do that after getting a payday.

Sammy Watkins has been considered a stud since he was a freshman. Couldn't he have been worried about getting injured and played accordingly this year? Jameis Winston would be the #1 overall pick if he was eligible this year. Do you think he'll take plays off next year?

As far as accomplishments, he has won a lot of individual awards, but when most players talk about accomplishments they mention team success. His team never won an SEC championship (actually never won the east division) or went to a BCS bowl game. The hope would be if you played on a team contending for these things you would play all out every play you were on the field. NFL GM's are trying to win superbowls and the teams that do have players that put team above self. If a guy didn't do that in college there is cause for concern he won't do it in the NFL.

He is the most physically talented player in this draft. NFL history is littered with supremely gifted athletes that didn't live up the their potential, so to suggest there isn't any cause for concern is being naïve.

Deep QB draft, some team will pass on a QB early and take Clowney then take their QB in Rd 2. Or I could see a team trading up to grab him. I don't see him falling past the 2 spot

Wheres Tajh Boyd slated to go? I know his stock took a hit this year but I think last nights game really helped him.

Deep QB draft, some team will pass on a QB early and take Clowney then take their QB in Rd 2. Or I could see a team trading up to grab him. I don't see him falling past the 2 spot
Is it that deep? One of the espn guys said after the first 4 there's a big drop off.

Clowney won't go below 2nd overall. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a trade to get him 1st overall. Clowney is the best DE prospect in 10 years.

Is it that deep? One of the espn guys said after the first 4 there's a big drop off.
In no special order
Bridgewater
Carr
Manziel
Bortles
Hundley
Boyd

All the above are 1st rounders or early 2nd at the latest. And who knows where Mettenberger and McCarron end up going. Could be 2nd or 3rd rounders

In no special order
Bridgewater
Carr
Manziel
Bortles
Hundley
Boyd

All the above are 1st rounders or early 2nd at the latest. And who knows where Mettenberger and McCarron end up going. Could be 2nd or 3rd rounders
Is that your opinion or is that what analysts are saying?

If any of you here don't think Clowney, jerk that he is, isn't a top 10 pick, then you know very little about NFL Football. He showed 2 years ago he's one of the best DE /edge rushers in a decade. Big, fast, and aggressive. This year hampered by an injury, then played it cautious.

If any of you here don't think Clowney, jerk that he is, isn't a top 10 pick, then you know very little about NFL Football. He showed 2 years ago he's one of the best DE /edge rushers in a decade. Big, fast, and aggressive. This year hampered by an injury, then played it cautious.
Nobody here has said he's not an elite talent or that he won't get drafted in the top ten. That wasn't even the original question.

Ithaca Matt , maybe someone else, said Clowney would fall to the 2nd or 3rd round ! LOL. He won't even fall below the 6th overall pick.

Wheres Tajh Boyd slated to go? I know his stock took a hit this year but I think last nights game really helped him.
Third day was what they were saying on the pregame radio yesterday.
Didn't play well in big games. Though they mentioned that could change with an Orange Bowl win and good workouts, but no higher than Day 2.

Ithaca Matt , maybe someone else, said Clowney would fall to the 2nd or 3rd round ! LOL. He won't even fall below the 6th overall pick.
I forgot about him.

not sure anyone questions if clowney has the tools. people are questioning his heart. dude just took a year off.

If theres one thing Buffalo doesn't need it's D-line help. If Clowney is there at 9 I'd want Buffalo to take him even if Barr, Mack, Watkins, Ebron etc are all available at positions Buffalo needs to address. That's how good he is.

QB NEWS: Bortles announcing he is going pro. Hundley said he is going back to UCLA

Evans from aTm? he strikes me as a hothead mess. I've seen him disappear a few times and also really lose his composure. There are a ton of good WRs this year (Lee, Watkins and the LSU boys come to mind) so I would pass on Evans.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nfl-mock-draft-johnny-manziel-2/?eref=sihp

Fwiw this mock from SI.com has Clowney #2 to the Rams and Evans #13.

And honestly, who the hell cares that he got speeding tickets? We blow everything out of proportion now. If driving fast is indicative of bad character than I am a raging reprobate.

Last edited:
doubt he lasts that long. I hope Clowney lasts to at least #5 so the Raiders can trade down.