Where do you rank Calhoun.. | Syracusefan.com

Where do you rank Calhoun..

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
on the list of all-time greatest Big East coaches?

First in Big East, in top five of college basketball coaches all time.

Geezis, never let it be said this is a homer board. "probably number 1." What is wrong with you people?
Well, JB is great. His overall record is stunning. BUt 3 NC's is still 3 NC's. I think JB tends to be more consistant than JC. But for the most part, JC's high's are higher. The one thing though, JB is still going strong with 2 league titles and 100 wins or so in the last 3 years.

Well, JB is great. His overall record is stunning. BUt 3 NC's is still 3 NC's. I think JB tends to be more consistant than JC. But for the most part, JC's high's are higher. The one thing though, JB is still going strong with 2 league titles and 100 wins or so in the last 3 years.

JC's highs are higher, but the lows are significantly lower.

JB has been way more consistent. With a little more postseason success [and hopefully that will be forthcoming over the next few years], it wouldn't be close.

But JC belongs in the top 2 for sure, hands down, and you could certainly make the case for him being #1 as things stand today.

Oh, you misunderstood, I was talking about Craig Esherik.

Oh, you misunderstood, I was talking about Craig Esherik.
Well, why didn't you say so. #2 all time . Right behind that jackass that coached P.C. that is now the Princeton A.D. The one that screwed us a couple of years ago.

1st Big East. 2nd all-time of college basketball coaches after K, and I think there's a legit argument that he could be the greatest college basketball coach of all time.

1st Big East. 2nd all-time of college basketball coaches after K, and I think there's a legit argument that he could be the greatest college basketball coach of all time.

puff... puff... PASS!

Wow! That's some strong stuff!

No one is ahead of Wooden. Then Coach K.

Then John Thompson. I'm just ing kidding. Georgetown still sucks balls.

Depends on who's voting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

puff... puff... PASS!

Wow! That's some strong stuff!

Really? He built UConn - a formerly school in Middle of Nowhere, CT that sucked for decades into the 4th best program since 1990 - behind only Duke, Kentucky and Carolina. UConn. And I realize we joke that "college basketball started before 1990," but 1990 was a long time ago.

What he accomplished is akin to turning Rutgers into UConn over the next 27 years.

He does not fit into a pigeon hole. If all that counts is winning the big one, he is number one. If integrity is part of the equation than its a different story. No loyalty whatsoever to players that are dispensable. Bending recruiting rules.

Really? He built UConn - a formerly school in Middle of Nowhere, CT that sucked for decades into the 4th best program since 1990 - behind only Duke, Kentucky and Carolina. UConn. And I realize we joke that "college basketball started before 1990," but 1990 was a long time ago.

What he accomplished is akin to turning Rutgers into UConn over the next 27 years.

He is great but not #2 all-time every program was built by somebody. Great tournament coach top 10 all-time definitely!

at the moment #1, but JB has one more season of Big East play and with a 2nd title, I would probably give him the edge.

He is leaving this program in shambles, He (Calhoun) was suspended by the NCAA for 3 games (lack of institutional control) and he wasn't smart enough to get around the APR issue. He is not #1

I agree, #1 or #2. He would have been #1 for certain if he retired after his incredible coaching job to get UConn a 3rd NC with Kemba Walker. The problems since have dimished his legacy. He built a program that was one of the worst in the country to a national powerhouse, but leaves it much as he found it. He was a remarkable coach and New England will never see another one like him.

I hope he recovers fully from his physical problems and has a long and happy retirement. The biggest thing I will miss leaving the Big East is seeing SU compete against UConn. And that is all because of Calhoun and what he was able to do with a lowly Connecticut program.

I am sure I am forgetting someone, but my top 5 BE coaches men's coaches? People forget what SU was, or wasn't, before JB took over.

JB (consistent excellence wins out, for me. Plus JC said he's the best in college.)
JC
Pitino (2 BE schools to FF offset nomadic career.)
Thompson ( can't argue if someone wants him higher)
Louie (helped make the big east. One of the first coaching personalities. )

PJ, Wright & Dixon not there long enough for me.

The best BE basketball coach ever might be Geno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom